lucybelle

Helping a friend with student visa

44 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, AOSFairfax said:

It's been a hot sec since I applied for my student visa so I don't remember the process 100% and apologies if the information is outdated. However, you are correct that she needs to provide evidence of the assets in the bank account. I remember that my family asked the bank to provide a written letter stating the balance in the account and indicating that that is enough to cover whatever costs my scholarship did not. A bank account statement would likely do the same. I assume that she would need a statement for every bank account that she would use to pay for her costs (her dad's, mom's and her own). Given how tight cash seems to be, I would also suggest providing land titles for whatever property the dad has that also states how much the property is worth. Was all of this financial information not provided at the first interview? That is a major part of the interview process..

On another note, I would definitely caution against family members adding their own cash "just for show," both because that is legally dubious and because the last thing you want is to have her come to the US only to realize that she does not have enough cash to cover everything here. Speaking from experience, even if all your costs are covered, life in the US can be expensive and unexpected costs do come up so it's in her best interest to really consider whether her and her family are financially prepared to make that commitment.

Working on an F1 can be done but it's hard. On campus jobs usually first go to USC students who have been awarded federal work study programs and then to everyone else. Adding any potential language barriers, international students tend to fall low on the priority list for on campus hiring. Off campus jobs have to be very specific to meet the appropriate work authorization requirements and can require some paperwork on the part of the employer. Although the paperwork is admittedly minimal many employers are not familiar with it / don't want to deal with it. Just my 2 cents, good luck!

Thanks!

30 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

my family has had 3 exchange students / one of which returned to study at Cornell

the process for visa was long even thought money was not an issue for her family

she first applied

was accepted (for the following year not the new current semester)

the college had to be on the list of SEVP appoved colleges as stated below:

Then she sent all infromation to the college's lawyer who works on the student visa as there is a lot of work to do for the student visa

she applied in the year 2007 and came as a student August 2009

Before you can apply for an F, J, or M student visa, you must first apply and be accepted by a U.S. institution of higher education that is certified by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP).

Even when an institution is SEVP-certified and able to issue I-20 and DS-2019 forms for use in visa applications, it may not hold national or regional accreditation. The U.S. Department of Education and Council for Higher Education Accreditation databases list accreditation status for all U.S. institutions.

Yeah she she got the I20 from the university.

15 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Why was she given a second interview?

Okay so she is reapplying and already has the interview set up for next Friday.

Got the denial paper and it was for 214b. Evidently her sponsor is a cousin in the USA who has plenty of money to cover the $5000. I told her it was sketchy that she had a rich family member in the USA and she needed to have a really good reason for why the cousin planned on sponsoring her. I told her to get house papers, land papers, etc.

N-400 May 2017 Google Doc

Full timeline- 

Filed from abroad- Costa Rica

NOA1- NOA2: 316 days

Jan 12, 2013: Married!!
Mar 19, 2013: NOA1

Jan 28, 2014: I-130 approved

NVC- Green Card in Hand: 189 days

Feb 3, 2014: TSC sends case to NVC
April 14: Real checklist for AOS (saying tax number was incorrect when it wasn't)
April 30: Another AOS checklist, for proof of employment (which was already sent)
May 1: Checklist for IV- certified marriage certificate (even though I sent a certified one originally)
July 1: INTERVIEW!!! - APPROVED!
July 16: POE through Miami
July 22: SSN card in the mail
August 30, 2014: Green card arrives in the mail!!!

ROC: 366 days
April 27, 2016: Sent 300 page ROC packet to VSC via overnight mail
May 16: Check shown as charged online, received NOA 1 dated April 29
June 20, 2016- Biometrics
April 28, 2017: Approval
May 4, 2017: Approval letter arrived
May 15, 2017: GC arrives in mail

N-400: 190 days
May 8: Sent packet to Dallas Lockbox
May 12: NOA 1, Credit card charged
June 7: Biometrics
June 16: "In line"
Oct 2: Interview letter arrives (online status still says ''in line'')
Oct 31: Interview- Approved!
Nov 13: Oath ceremony!  Applied for passport & registered to vote on site.
Nov 22: Passport arrives (paid for expedited service and overnight delivery)

Journey complete! A total of 1701 days or 4 years, 7 months and 26 days.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

So this cousin is new on the scene?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
12 minutes ago, lucybelle said:

Thanks!

Got the denial paper and it was for 214b. Evidently her sponsor is a cousin in the USA who has plenty of money to cover the $5000. I told her it was sketchy that she had a rich family member in the USA and she needed to have a really good reason for why the cousin planned on sponsoring her. I told her to get house papers, land papers, etc.

she not only has to have tuition money but living expenses (room,  food ,  books,  college fees which are not included in the tuition)

this is why our student was told she needed to show more than just tuition costs

31 minutes ago, lucybelle said:

Thanks!

23 minutes ago, Boiler said:

also wanted to add that especially if she has family in the US sponsoring her, she needs to prove strong ties to her home country and that she does not intend to use her visa to stay in the US. Unclear if such evidence was provided?

Edited by AOSFairfax

Concurrent filing of I-130, I-485, I-765, and I-131 (USC spouse)

Adjusting From: F1 

Local USCIS office: Washington, DC

Service center: NBC

AOS Timeline

03/07/2019: FedEx delivery

03/22/2019: NOA1

04/01/2019: Completed biometrics 

04/08/2019: Case is Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview

07/05/2019: EAD Card in Production (67 days after expediting)

Feb 2020: GC Interview, GC received

ROC Timeline:

Nov 2021: Filed I-751

March 2021: Biometrics Appointment Completed

2 hours ago, lucybelle said:

Extended family will not pay, it will just be for show. Which is why I said it wouldn't work. She got about 80% of costs covered through scholarships. I guess the plan was for her to get a work study job (not even sure if that's possible on her visa type) and my mom would help out a little financially as well.

sorry vague info, I don't have very much and it seems like my friend and her family were woefully underprepared for this whole process.

F1 visa holders are extemely limited as to the type of job they can undertake and the hours they can work. They are expected to show they can fund the studies without needing to work in the US.

1 hour ago, lucybelle said:

Okay i just got some more information. The amount difference between the scholarship and costs is about $5000. The dad has $2000. Evidently the mom (parents are divorced) has money and the girl herself has money. Those three together will cover the $5000 and some. Would showing bank statements for those three accounts work? Since it is parents and the actual student? Or does it all need to be in one account? Does she need to show finances for just one year, or for all four years?

thanks for your help!!!!

For one year, but they would need some reassurance it was a sustainable form of income. It sounds like using up savings rather than what would be available regularly?

1 hour ago, lucybelle said:

They already gave her another interview for next week. So I'm taking that as a good sign?

If she applied and paid the visa interview fee, she will get a visa interview. F visa appointments often have a quick turnaround. From what you've said the only "sign" is that she applied again?

53 minutes ago, lucybelle said:

This is a different animal. 214b is immigrant intent. This means she has to prove she will return home after completing her studies. Entirely different reason for refusal.

Edited by SusieQQQ

41 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Cousin is listed on I20 as sponsor.

19 minutes ago, AOSFairfax said:

also wanted to add that especially if she has family in the US sponsoring her, she needs to prove strong ties to her home country and that she does not intend to use her visa to stay in the US. Unclear if such evidence was provided?

Yeah as soon as I heard the cousin in USA was sponsoring I was like NOOOOOOO. That's going to be tough to overcome. I told her to get all bank accounts, company papers that her dad owns, house and land titles in her parents names, a letter from dad saying he will hire her when she returns, letter from coach at university that she could potentially get a full scholarship for the next year and not need a sponsor, pictures with family and friends in Ecuador, letters from any local organizations she's been involved with. I'm asking my mom (was her coach in Ecuador, helped her find this university and plans to help move her in) to write a letter showing her support, but that she plans to stay in Ecuador (mom Is permanent resident there).

Full timeline- 

April 14: Real checklist for AOS (saying tax number was incorrect when it wasn't)
April 30: Another AOS checklist, for proof of employment (which was already sent)
May 1: Checklist for IV- certified marriage certificate (even though I sent a certified one originally)

Just now, lucybelle said:

Yeah as soon as I heard the cousin in USA was sponsoring I was like NOOOOOOO. That's going to be tough to overcome. I told her to get all bank accounts, company papers that her dad owns, house and land titles in her parents names, a letter from dad saying he will hire her when she returns, letter from coach at university that she could potentially get a full scholarship for the next year and not need a sponsor, pictures with family and friends in Ecuador, letters from any local organizations she's been involved with. I'm asking my mom (was her coach in Ecuador, helped her find this university and plans to help move her in) to write a letter showing her support, but that she plans to stay in Ecuador (mom Is permanent resident there).

A letter from a family member saying he will hire her when she returns is totally meaningless. Sorry. A big company would be a different story, maybe, still no compulsion to return. As for pics with family and friends... again, that's in the past, countless people leave their past behind to look for a new life in the US. I don't want to be harsh, but I don't think anything here - even the coach letter as it is not certain she will get a full scholarship next year - helps her case.

4 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

F1 visa holders are extemely limited as to the type of job they can undertake and the hours they can work. They are expected to show they can fund the studies without needing to work in the US.

For one year, but they would need some reassurance it was a sustainable form of income. It sounds like using up savings rather than what would be available regularly?

If she applied and paid the visa interview fee, she will get a visa interview. F visa appointments often have a quick turnaround. From what you've said the only "sign" is that she applied again?

This is a different animal. 214b is immigrant intent. This means she has to prove she will return home after completing her studies. Entirely different reason for refusal.

Thanks for all this info! Yes, I'm getting new information as we go. Above I listed what I recommended she brings to the next interview. Told her to buy an accordion folder to organize papers so She looks official. I think the cousin with money in the USA is going to be hard to overcome. But hopefully if she brings enough.... we'll see.

Any other suggestions for showing intent to return to Ecuador?

Full timeline- 

1 minute ago, lucybelle said:

Yup, it sounds like you gave them the best advice. I'd say that the proof of the company the dad owns and land titles have the best shot of being helpful. It depends on the circumstances obviously, but maybe if she's been employed or has received some sort of certification in Ecuador, she can provide those as evidence that she has began working on a career there.. It's hard to prove ties when you're young (possible straight out of high school?) so I think the next best thing is to prove your parent's strong ties to the country? I'm just thinking back to when I applied and I honestly did not have anything to prove except for my dad's business and tax records. 

AOS Timeline

ROC Timeline:

3 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

A letter from a family member saying he will hire her when she returns is totally meaningless. Sorry. A big company would be a different story, maybe, still no compulsion to return. As for pics with family and friends... again, that's in the past, countless people leave their past behind to look for a new life in the US. I don't want to be harsh, but I don't think anything here - even the coach letter as it is not certain she will get a full scholarship next year - helps her case.

Could she get a letter from another team saying they would hire her as a coach? Not a big company, but at least not family? Not a big improvement, but something.

I really appreciate your input. I'm trying to think what else could she prove? She's 18 so not a lot of financial investments or long term ties, ya know?

Full timeline- 

3 minutes ago, lucybelle said:

Could she get a letter from another team saying they would hire her as a coach? Not a big company, but at least not family? Not a big improvement, but something.

I really appreciate your input. I'm trying to think what else could she prove? She's 18 so not a lot of financial investments or long term ties, ya know?

All it does is give her a possible opportunity in four years. It doesn't present a compelling tie.

Also, maybe I'm wrong but aren't scholarships awarded on a yearly basis? So if they awarded her X amount for an athletic scholarship, that would be X amount every year so she wouldn't need a sponsor for the following year? At least that's how it was for my college. Is that not the case here? For the visa though, you are correct that you only need to show proof of funds for the first year.

AOS Timeline

ROC Timeline:

Just now, AOSFairfax said:

Also, maybe I'm wrong but aren't scholarships awarded on a yearly basis? So if they awarded her X amount for an athletic scholarship, that would be X amount every year so she wouldn't need a sponsor for the following year? At least that's how it was for my college. Is that not the case here? For the visa though, you are correct that you only need to show proof of funds for the first year.

Yes, but generally there is automatic renewal based on maintenance of grades etc.  And she doesn't have a full scholarship this year, so I don't see how getting a letter from a coach saying she "may" get one the following year could help - even if the coach is willing to write that, which I doubt.

5 minutes ago, AOSFairfax said:

Yup, it sounds like you gave them the best advice. I'd say that the proof of the company the dad owns and land titles have the best shot of being helpful. It depends on the circumstances obviously, but maybe if she's been employed or has received some sort of certification in Ecuador, she can provide those as evidence that she has began working on a career there.. It's hard to prove ties when you're young (possible straight out of high school?) so I think the next best thing is to prove your parent's strong ties to the country? I'm just thinking back to when I applied and I honestly did not have anything to prove except for my dad's business and tax records. 

Yeah she's fresh out of high school. I'll ask about the certification, maybe she graduated from a technical high school.

1 minute ago, AOSFairfax said:

Yeah, so they did estimated costs for 9 months to be $26,000 (including like $7000 of extra costs). She Is receiving $21,000 in scholarship. There is a chance she will be bumped to a full ride after her freshman year.

Full timeline- 

I told her to get a letter from the cousin sponsor to say why she planned on sponsoring, any though as to what it should have?

Draft:

To whom it may concern,

My name is xxxx. I am writing this letter as a sign of intent to sponsor my cousin, xxxx, during her education at xxxxx university. She has explained to me her desire to be on the athletic team and I believe her training will be superior at xxxx university. She has obtained a large athletic scholarship and informed me there is a small portion left over of a sum of $5000 per year. I am happy to help her with this amount while she is studying at xxxx university.

thank you for your time, please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions.

name

phone number

addresss

Full timeline- 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.