ltav89

Not attending K1 Visa Interview in DR, only one visit...

11 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm in a same sex relationship. My fiance has his interview on August 1st in the Dominican Republic. We have been talking for 1 year and 6 months. I have visited him once this past December and filed the I-129 form in January. We were approved off course, but now he keeps insisting that I should go with him to the interview because it will give him a higher chance of being approved. The problem is I am deeply afraid of flying. He tried getting a visitor's visa because of this, but was denied, which is why I had to fly there instead. I had not flown in 8 years prior to that due to my fear of heights. We have proof of our ongoing relationship, but I am not sure if that will be enough. I'm thinking about taking a plane from Orlando since it is the shortest fly time to the DR. I don't know what else to do. I've read the comments on country specific page and because it is a high fraud country, people say the petitioner should always be present. Just thinking about getting on a plane again gets me anxious. Gay marriage is not legal in the DR, which is why we're not married yet. I want him to come to the US. What are your opinions on this? What if I go see a doctor and send a letter as proof of my phobia? 

9 minutes ago, ltav89 said:

Hello,

I'm in a same sex relationship. My fiance has his interview on August 1st in the Dominican Republic. We have been talking for 1 year and 6 months. I have visited him once this past December and filed the I-129 form in January. We were approved off course, but now he keeps insisting that I should go with him to the interview because it will give him a higher chance of being approved. The problem is I am deeply afraid of flying. He tried getting a visitor's visa because of this, but was denied, which is why I had to fly there instead. I had not flown in 8 years prior to that due to my fear of heights. We have proof of our ongoing relationship, but I am not sure if that will be enough. I'm thinking about taking a plane from Orlando since it is the shortest fly time to the DR. I don't know what else to do. I've read the comments on country specific page and because it is a high fraud country, people say the petitioner should always be present. Just thinking about getting on a plane again gets me anxious. Gay marriage is not legal in the DR, which is why we're not married yet. I want him to come to the US. What are your opinions on this? What if I go see a doctor and send a letter as proof of my phobia? 

Proof of your phobia for what reason?  Your petition was approved already with the one visit.  

The embassy isn’t going to look at such a letter when evaluating whether your relationship is legit.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

You already know the answer. You should go for the interview.  Here are all the reasons you should go: 

- If you don't go and he is denied you will feel horrible and he will potentially resent you for not going.  He is aware of your fear and he already has told you anyway that you should go.

- There are options that you have that may allow you to treat the fear you have of flying... Medicines, therapy etc.   Unless getting on a plane and flying is specifically something that could signfiicantly endanger your health you owe it to yourself and your partner to seek treatment.   You've flown twice already so it doesn't seem like a significant risk to your health.

- A letter from a doctor will not likely help your case at all.Because a) letters are easily falsified and thus are generally not helpful    b) you are talking about a Phobia that the CO  would likely read and interpret as this guy doesn't care enough about his partner to face his fear and take a short flight to the DR. 

- Lastly you are asking your future spouse to move to the USA and leave behind his life in the DR.  The more you can learn about and experiance his culture in the DR the stronger it will make your relationship.  He's leaving behind his life there for you the more time you spend with him there the better you'll understand him and any homesickness he might have when he gets to the USA

You should definitely go especially since you only visited once.  DR is a high fraud country and you wouldn’t want to risk a denial.  The interview is usually fairly quick.  Plus if you go you’ll be able to enjoy more of the beautiful country.  

10 hours ago, ltav89 said:

Hello,

In my country it is not necessary for the petitioner to be present, but since they have only met once, I think it would be better for you to come, drink a pill to sleep during the flight.

In the DR, it is not necessary for the petitioner to be at the interview, but it is highly advised. Especially with only one previous visit.

Edited by Unlockable

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Plenty of other options to meet.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I would advise you to make the trip since you have only one visit........it's your future at stake.....

1.  Get on the plane

2.  Get an aisle seat

3.  Take a prescribed tranquilizer. 

4.  Listen to some relaxing music.

just do it......imho.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Take a cruise ship out of Miami that includes a stop in the DR.  Check with the cruise company first to find out what you have to do to get off the ship in the DR.  Then book another cruise to return to Miami.  It's an expensive option but if your fear of flying is really that bad and can't be controlled with medication, it is possible unless you also have a fear of boats and water.  I agree with everyone who said you should be there for his interview if you can figure out a way to be there.  You already flew there once, so you could do it again.  It might get easier the more you fly.  Good luck and I hope your fiance's visa gets approved.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline
On 7/8/2019 at 9:43 PM, ltav89 said:

Hello,

you should go, recently saw someone denied who had taken many trips but had not been back since her engagement and did not attend the interview. her partner said the CO was laser focused on the fact that she had not been back in almost a year and did not come to interview. He deemed the relationship not real and explicitly told the partner so. Their explanation about wanting to save money for the wedding and the time her partner would be out of work did not sway the CO. They were not from a high fraud country.

• 5 months later...

*UPDATE*

We were finally approved after being put on AP for 5 months. He attended two interviews. I attended neither because of my fear of flying. His first interview was on August 1st, I did not attend and he was put on AP. They requested additional evidence, including me attending a second interview with him. I contacted them as my intention was to accompany him in his second interview. They gave us a second interview date for which I ended up taking a bus from NJ, my home state, to Florida in order to cut the flying time to the DR short. I did not get on the plane and he attended alone. This was very hurtful to both of us. Our case was put on AP once again with the consulate asking for additional conversations. She had explained that it was our last chance. So, we decided to wait until we were able to see each other again, this time in Cuba. We didn't think we would get approved with conversations alone and since Cuba was only 45 minutes away in flight time from Miami, we tried this option. For four months, I attended sessions with a counselor, who was able to assist me in coming up with strategies for my flying anxiety. Long story short, I ended up not even getting on the bus this time and cancelled the trip. I had spent nearly $2,000 on that trip alone. After this, we decided to send the conversations they had requested, 5 months in total. I emailed them letting them know what had happened. I wrote a 4 page letter explaining my fear. 2 weeks later my fiance received a phone call letting him know our case was approved. He was asked to go to Santo Domingo in order to get his passport stamped. They did it right away because his vaccination results were valid for only a few more days. He ended up leaving for the US 2 days after he got the phone call. We're here, together. God is good. God is love. God is loyal. We waited and suffered, but were approve with only one visit. I am so grateful to God for giving us this opportunity. Good luck to everyone else.

Edited by ltav89

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.