K + M

Trip to our local Social Security Office

48 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

You can get a bank account without a social security number. You're just at the wrong bank.

But yes your explanation that you don't have a Social Security number is going to be totally understandable. You may have to explain that you didn't go within the first 14 days as you were supposed to as an excuse but they will understand.

We thought you needed to be married before going for SSN, which we now realize isn't the issue.

3 hours ago, HRQX said:

Maybe, @geowrian can clarify on the 2 week window:

You must continue to qualify until they issue it. So once you hit 13 days left, the system should automatically send a notice that they cannot issue the card at this time.

If verification is complete and there are no remaining issues with the application, they should issue the card even if it goes beyond the 14 days period left.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

2 minutes ago, geowrian said:

You must continue to qualify until they issue it. So once you hit 13 days left, the system should automatically send a notice that they cannot issue the card at this time.

If verification is complete and there are no remaining issues with the application, they should issue the card even if it goes beyond the 14 days period left.

So if I am understanding this right DHS just needs to Verify before the 14 day window on the I-94, the SSA office can go beyond then issuing it??  If that is so that is a huge relief.

1 minute ago, Kerri and Myles said:

So if I am understanding this right DHS just needs to Verify before the 14 day window on the I-94, the SSA office can go beyond then issuing it??  If that is so that is a huge relief.

They can but they wont.

The application has to be complete so they can issue it. Once they decide to issue it, if it takes longer to print/mail it, that won't be an issue. That's essentially what the 14 day period was designed to cover (internal processes, mail room, etc.).

For example, if I went to the SSA on the last day eligible and was in SAVE already (so they could verify immediately), I should be fine to get the card even if they don't actually process & mail it until later.

The key point is the application has to be complete and approved. DHS completing verification does not mean the SSA will see that immediately...there are cases where it has taken a few days (Edit: or even weeks in rare cases, as noted below), or even more rarely, some other issue pops up that has to be resolved before they can approve the application.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

4 minutes ago, Kerri and Myles said:

@geowrian just said this can  happen, I am confused

My case was verified by DHS on Oct 30th, 2018. My I94 did not expire until Nov 22nd. 

I called everyday and was given the excuse that DHS had not verified my case yet.

I knew that they had verified my case though because I had checked SAVE CaseCheck and it had been verified.

So I knew they were lying to me.

My case sat on someone's desk for weeks and weeks and weeks.

I continued to call even beyond November 22nd knowing that I would not be issued my SSN because my I 94 was expired however the person on the phone told me religiously every day that my case was still being verified by DHS.

That's what I mean.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

This is the reason most people on here (me included) recommend to apply for the SSN asap after entering the country (definitely within the first two weeks preferably even sooner. I myself went on day 4 after POE).

Always apply BEFORE the wedding, always in the maiden name. Better to have an SSN in the maiden name so you can start your life in the US early on, than not having a SSN at all for months and months.

Too late for you now, but hopefully others read this and take notes. I'm crossing my fingers you'll receive the SSN on time so you don't have to wait until the EAD or greencard arrives.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

1 hour ago, Scandi said:

This is the reason most people on here (me included) recommend to apply for the SSN asap after entering the country (definitely within the first two weeks preferably even sooner. I myself went on day 4 after POE).

Always apply BEFORE the wedding, always in the maiden name. Better to have an SSN in the maiden name so you can start your life in the US early on, than not having a SSN at all for months and months.

Too late for you now, but hopefully others read this and take notes. I'm crossing my fingers you'll receive the SSN on time so you don't have to wait until the EAD or greencard arrives.

Thank you so much!  The SSA lady really likes us, and said she will help us out, and when we go tomorrow I am going to make sure to tell her about our timeline, and really ask her if she can be on top of things, and I can also call and keep telling her if its verified, she said she will get the SSN process going asap as soon as DHS verifies, so it very easily could happen :D

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

What you described is exactly what happened to me. I had all the info and more for her. The mismatch with DHS and unable to change the name with marriage certificate, It’s cause DHS has you in the system at your maiden name and with the mismatch they have to verify your I-94. Once you file the AOS you can change you name. i wasn’t able to get a SS same day and the letter they gave me said up to 4 weeks, but my card came after 2.5 weeks. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

I guess we were lucky as we got the SS card with the married name.  My fiancee enterred the country on April 2.  We got married on April 8 and received the marriage certificate the same day.  We went to social security office on April 9 and applied with her married name.  She received the SS card (with married name) on April 27 (18 days after applying).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
10 hours ago, Scandi said:

I did that. We went to SSA 1 week after arrival but we were given lecture that she needs to be in the States for minimum of 21 days. Then we came back on day 22 and they've told us that she can't get SSN because they can't find her in DHS database. At that point we went to different office. In the new office there was absolutely no problem verifying her with DHS (first office in Fairfax VA has lazy employees). After that we went to DMV to get her ID so she doesn't have to carry her passport all the time. At DMV they've told us that they need I-797C to issue her state ID. About 2 weeks later we've got the I-797C in mail and went back to DMV. They had to scan the papers and send them to main office in Richmond VA. 45 minutes later I've got email that they've approved the papers. Went back to DMV where the same clueless employee was processing her papers. She did something and said that she can't issue her ID because the name doesn't match name on the SSC. I've told her fine, create ID for her with her maiden name. She said that she can't because the name on I-797 is in her new name! Freaking catch 22. They've told us that if we go to SSA and change her name to her current last name they will be able to issue ID. Went to SSA and waited in line 2 hours. Just to be told that her visa is expired and they can't change the name until she gets work authorization or green card.

I've wasted 4 days going between SSA and DMV. Now we are stuck and have to wait for the green card. It's frustrating. The system that they are using was implemented at Ellis Island back in the days. I'm lack for words.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
1 hour ago, Thunderbolt said:

I did that. We went to SSA 1 week after arrival but we were given lecture that she needs to be in the States for minimum of 21 days. Then we came back on day 22 and they've told us that she can't get SSN because they can't find her in DHS database. At that point we went to different office. In the new office there was absolutely no problem verifying her with DHS (first office in Fairfax VA has lazy employees). After that we went to DMV to get her ID so she doesn't have to carry her passport all the time. At DMV they've told us that they need I-797C to issue her state ID. About 2 weeks later we've got the I-797C in mail and went back to DMV. They had to scan the papers and send them to main office in Richmond VA. 45 minutes later I've got email that they've approved the papers. Went back to DMV where the same clueless employee was processing her papers. She did something and said that she can't issue her ID because the name doesn't match name on the SSC. I've told her fine, create ID for her with her maiden name. She said that she can't because the name on I-797 is in her new name! Freaking catch 22. They've told us that if we go to SSA and change her name to her current last name they will be able to issue ID. Went to SSA and waited in line 2 hours. Just to be told that her visa is expired and they can't change the name until she gets work authorization or green card.

I've wasted 4 days going between SSA and DMV. Now we are stuck and have to wait for the green card. It's frustrating. The system that they are using was implemented at Ellis Island back in the days. I'm lack for words.

SSA employees are usually clueless, your situation isn't that common though.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
11 hours ago, Scandi said:

Yup. Anastasia arrived in the US on March 11th, we went to the downtown SSA office on the 13th (because it was closer to where we got our rings at than the suburban office closest to our place), were married on the 14th, card showed up on informed delivery on the 25th... though since we hadn't put her address as c/o me, USPS was a bit confused and I needed to bug them to actually deliver it by the end of that week.

We figured we'd wait until after GC to get a new card as Anastasia [her new last name], as we probably should get a new card then anyway to get rid of the 'valid for work only with DHS authorization' text, and our local field office is fast enough that especially with the slowdown in EAD processing we're expecting to get our AOS interview before EAD.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

2 hours ago, magicant said:

I guess we were lucky as we got the SS card with the married name.  My fiancee enterred the country on April 2.  We got married on April 8 and received the marriage certificate the same day.  We went to social security office on April 9 and applied with her married name.  She received the SS card (with married name) on April 27 (18 days after applying).

This is the way it's supposed to be. There are no SSA policies that state it should not be this way but through the ignorance of SSA and how to process K1 SSNs and K1 name changes that's just the way it is. 

Congrats!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.