K + M

Trip to our local Social Security Office

48 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

No, SAVE only reflects how long SSA will need to wait for DHS to give them a response on your verification status. It can take up to four weeks after that for SSA to actually process your card.

SSA does not require you to give them your alien number at any point. I am not sure why the agent ask that of you. They're not supposed to.

I am just a little confused on what actually needs to have happened by the 2 week prior to expiration time of I-94, what exactly has to have happened for the SSN to be good?  Do we need to have the actual SSN card in hand, does it just need to be verified in the system, or is their something else?  I just wanna know what to look for to know the SSN she is going to get will be valid, and the whole 2 week prior timeline has me really confused.  Do you need to just be verified by DHS before the I-94 expires to get a valid SSN, or does the whole process that can take up to 4 weeks for the SSA to process your card need to be done?  

Edited by Kerri and Myles

17 minutes ago, Kerri and Myles said:

I am just a little confused on what actually needs to have happened by the 2 week prior to expiration time of I-94, what exactly has to have happened for the SSN to be good?  Do we need to have the actual SSN card in hand, does it just need to be verified in the system, or is their something else?  I just wanna know what to look for to know the SSN she is going to get will be valid, and the whole 2 week prior timeline has me really confused.  Do you need to just be verified by DHS before the I-94 expires to get a valid SSN, or does the whole process that can take up to 4 weeks for the SSA to process your card need to be done?  

This. It has to be issued by day 76 of day 90.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

6 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

This.

so on average it takes them 7 to 10 business days to mail it, how will we know that their process has been completed and it has been mailed out, because I would just like to be able to double check that the processing of the Social Security Card has been done before the 2 week prior expiration of I-94.   

To clarifiy let's say I receive the SS Card in the mail after the I-94 two week prior window expires, I would just like to be able to some how check that the actual processing of the card was completed prior to that deadline, is this possible?

Also since the alien number isn't needed, and it said we have been sent in for verification just to make sure all the info is correct, is it alright to think we aren't in manual verification?  

And, about the whole reporting marriage to DHS like she said, I am assuming we don't have to do this and this is just a scenario of a gov't worker not knowing how K-1 visa protocols work?  

12 minutes ago, Kerri and Myles said:

so on average it takes them 7 to 10 business days to mail it, how will we know that their process has been completed and it has been mailed out, because I would just like to be able to double check that the processing of the Social Security Card has been done before the 2 week prior expiration of I-94.   

You can call SSA and ask but its doubtful you will get an answer.

To clarifiy let's say I receive the SS Card in the mail after the I-94 two week prior window expires, I would just like to be able to some how check that the actual processing of the card was completed prior to that deadline, is this possible?

No. SSA will only be able to tell you if it's been issued or not.

Also since the alien number isn't needed, and we said we have been sent in for verification just to make sure all the info is correct is it alright to think we aren't in manual verification?  

No manual verification has to do with her name on her passport and I-94 not matching her name on the DHS records. That is because on the I-94 and passport, the given name is the first name and middle name together as one name. DHS' record has her first name as the first name and the middle name as the middle name but the I94 and passport do not have it that way. SSA and DHS have two separate formats. That is what they are checking likely. You are in normal MV. It happens to 90% of us because most of us have middle names.

And, about the whole reporting marriage to DHS like she said, I am assuming we don't have to do this and this is just a scenario of a gov't worker not knowing how K-1 visas work?  

Like I said earlier, they have called it reporting of marriage but what it means is you need to apply for AOS in the married name. Ie. you need to "report" (aka. apply for AOS) your marriage to DHS first before any other entity will recognize that you have changed your name. Your EAD or GC will be issued in the married name and your name will have been "reported" as an immigrant name change. That's all that that means.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

2 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Thank you so much so far @K1visaHopeful you have been such an amazing help, and also to everyone else so far, another thing I would like to ask about is what exactly does it mean when the lady at the SSA office said that she was getting the saying of "unmatched" ?

From everything we have presented here, as of today we have 35 days, is it likely that she will get her SSN issued within that time?

15 minutes ago, Kerri and Myles said:

Thank you so much so far @K1visaHopeful you have been such an amazing help, and also to everyone else so far, another thing I would like to ask about is what exactly does it mean when the lady at the SSA office said that she was getting the saying of "unmatched" ?

Her names don't match on the I-94/passport and what DHS has on record for her.

The names dont match.

Ie Her first name is Jane and her middle name is Mary on her DHS record as that's what you applied for her Visa in. Her passport states her given name is Jane Mary. They are not the same format. That is a name mix match or unmatched or whatever BS they are calling it lately.⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️

No manual verification has to do with her name on her passport and I-94 not matching her name on the DHS records. That is because on the I-94 and passport, the given name is the first name and middle name together as one name. DHS' record has her first name as the first name and the middle name as the middle name but the I94 and passport do not have it that way. SSA and DHS have two separate formats. That is what they are checking likely. You are in normal MV. It happens to 90% of us because most of us have middle names.

From everything we have presented here, as of today we have 35 days, is it likely that she will get her SSN issued within that time?

Who knows. Once DHS verifies that she is the same person on her I94/passport as what DHS has on record, SSA will have an agent work on it. Will they work on it right away? No one can say. More often than not it sits on a desk to die at your local SSA with the excuse that the person working your case is busy. I've spoken with a current SSA card agent on a personal level who told me that they are allocated 8 hours per month to look through and process MV cases. It happened to me.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

3 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

That may be where we got really lucky, the lady said she will keep an eye on it, and we can call her direct number she gave us, and as soon as it says verified she will process the SSN 

Also, just thinking further down the line, what kind of impact would this have on the AOS interview?  Without having SSN in the allocated time before EAD/GC wouldn't you be unable to have a lot of joint things that showcase strong marriage and whatnot, and really hurt the chances for approval of GC?

17 minutes ago, Kerri and Myles said:

That may be where we got really lucky, the lady said she will keep an eye on it, and we can call her direct number she gave us, and as soon as it says verified she will process the SSN 

Maybe by chance you are speaking with the lady who I spoke with on a personal level because I gave her a royal earful for letting K1 SSN applications sit and die after MV. You never know.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

5 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Maybe by chance you are speaking with the lady who I spoke with on a personal level because I gave her royal ####### for letting K1 SSN applications sit and die after MV. You never know.

Yeah I honestly can't believe they would let them sit and die,  she gave us her actual number and extension so we can always get a hold of her, and said as soon as its verified she will do it, I will also let her know of our timeline, and hopefully she makes it a top top priority.  

I am curious about the AOS though, does not having all those things in names together like bank accounts , insurance, and everything else inbetween because don't have SSN and need SSN to do all this, will that hurt the chances of the GC being approved at the interview?

6 minutes ago, Kerri and Myles said:

Yeah I honestly can't believe they would let them sit and die,  she gave us her actual number and extension so we can always get a hold of her, and said as soon as its verified she will do it, I will also let her know of our timeline, and hopefully she makes it a top top priority.  

I am curious about the AOS though, does not having all those things in names together like bank accounts , insurance, and everything else inbetween because don't have SSN and need SSN to do all this, will that hurt the chances of the GC being approved at the interview?

No. USCIS understands that the name change for an immigrant comes through them. We are unable to change our name on anything until USCIS does it for us on our EAD or GC (whichever comes first).

2 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

No. USCIS understands that the name change for an immigrant comes through them. We are unable to change our name on anything until USCIS does it for us on our EAD or GC (whichever comes first).

yeah but what I was curious about was will not having those things together because no SSN hurt the chances at the interview?  I understand won't have the same name, and I understand how USCIS see's it, but will not being able to present those together documents at the GC interview hurt your chances because don't have them due to no SSN yet b/c no EAD, or does USCIS understand all these chain of events if they are to occur because of a hiccup in getting SSN?

18 minutes ago, Kerri and Myles said:

yeah but what I was curious about was will not having those things together because no SSN hurt the chances at the interview?  I understand won't have the same name, and I understand how USCIS see's it, but will not being able to present those together documents at the GC interview hurt your chances because don't have them due to no SSN yet b/c no EAD, or does USCIS understand all these chain of events if they are to occur because of a hiccup in getting SSN?

How can it hurt your GC interview if everyone is in the same boat? 

Your first married name document will come from USCIS. How can you change your name on any documents if USCIS hasn't granted those documents first?

Not everyone changes their name.

Documents in your maiden name are perfectly fine. They understand.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

3 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

How can it hurt your GC interview if everyone is in the same boat? 

Your first married name document will come from USCIS. How can you change your name on any documents if USCIS hasn't granted those documents first?

Not everyone changes their name.

Documents in your maiden name are perfectly fine. They understand.

I understand that maiden name is perfectly fine, but what I am specifically talking about is those joint shared aspects that will not be allowed to happen if no SSN, as in bank accounts, insurance, and all the else, it's not having these joint-shared aspects because no SSN that I am curious about.  Will not having these hurt the chances of GC approval at interview, or does USCIS understand the reason why wouldn't be able to have these, and it isn't an issue to worry about for GC interview approval?

3 minutes ago, Kerri and Myles said:

I understand that maiden name is perfectly fine, but what I am specifically talking about is those joint shared aspects that will not be allowed to happen if no SSN, as in bank accounts, insurance, and all the else, it's not having these joint-shared aspects because no SSN that I am curious about.  Will not having these hurt the chances of GC approval at interview, or does USCIS understand the reason why wouldn't be able to have these, and it isn't an issue to worry about for GC interview approval?

You can get a bank account without a social security number. You're just at the wrong bank.

But yes your explanation that you don't have a Social Security number is going to be totally understandable. You may have to explain that you didn't go within the first 14 days as you were supposed to as an excuse but they will understand.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.