Scott Rusticus

RFE for birth certificates

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Today we got an RFE for both my wife and stepsons birth certificates and translations, which we sent with their I485’s in April. Why are they asking for the same documentation I already sent to them. Any one else ever have this happen? Everything g I sent was what they asked for. Should I call and ask why?

18 minutes ago, Scott Rusticus said:

Why are they asking for the same documentation I already sent to them. Any one else ever have this happen?

Happens all the time. They might have lost it. It might have been separated from the file somehow. The USCIS dog ate it. Who knows. I have my theory about "strategic RFE issuance" as well, take your pick.

19 minutes ago, Scott Rusticus said:

Everything g I sent was what they asked for. Should I call and ask why?

Calling them won't do anything. Just send them in again like they asked. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from the K-1 Process forum to the "AOS from K Visas" Case Progress subforum -- OP is at that stage.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline
15 hours ago, USS_Voyager said:

I have my theory about "strategic RFE issuance" as well, take your pick. 

Do tell. 🤔

2018 K1 Filing to Approval: 322 days (RFE 29 Days)

Spoiler

I-129F mailed: Jan 26 2018

NOA1: Jan 29 2018 (old site), Feb 2 2018 (new site)

RFE: Aug 30 2018 (old site updated 8/30; new site 8/31 w/email and text)

RFE hard copy: rec'd 9/4; ret'd 9/6 (old site updated 9/7; new site 9/10, no text/email)

NOA2: Oct 5 2018 [249 days]  (old site updated 10/5; new site 10/7, no text/email)

Case #: Oct 31 2018 [27 days] (called to get number, no email from NVC)

Left NVC: Nov 13 2018 

Consulate Rec'd (DHL): Nov 19 2018

CEAC 'Ready' status: Nov 29 2018

Interview: Dec 17 2018 [Approved!]

POE: Jan 10 2019 [Los Angeles]

Marriage: Jan 12 2019 :wub::dance:

2019 AOS Filing to Approval: 81 Days (No RFE, No Expedite)

Spoiler

AOS Mailed: Feb 19 2019

NOA1: Feb 25 2019 (I-485, I-765, I-131)

Biometrics Appt. Letter Rcv'd: Mar 8 2019

Biometrics Appointment: Mar 20 2019

Recv'd Interview Appt. Notice: Apr 15 2019 [I-485] (ready to schedule 4/10, scheduled 4/11; old site)

Interview: May 17 2019 [Cleveland, OH]

Approved: May 17 2019  :dance:

Green Card Received: May 24 2019

2021 ROC Filing to Approval: 534 Days (LIN; No RFE, No Interview)

Spoiler

ROC Mailed: Mar 5 2021 (delivered 3/12)

NOA1: Apr 5 2021 (txt rcvd 4/7, check cashed 4/7, mail rcvd 4/9) 

Biometrics Re-used Notice Rcv'd: Apr 30 2021

Approved: Sep 21 2022 :dance:

Green Card Received: Sep 28 2022

2022 N400 Filing to Oath: 154 Days (Cleveland Field Office; No RFE)

Spoiler

N400 Submitted: Jun 16 2022 (online)

NOA1: Jun 16 2022 (rcv'd snail mail 6/24)

Biometrics Re-used Notice Rcv'd: Jun 16 2022 (rcv'd snail mail 6/24)

Interview Scheduled: Sep 6 2022 (cancelled due to A-file not arrived in time)

Interview Re-scheduled: Oct 21 2022

Approved: Oct 21 2022 :dance:

Oath Ceremony: Nov 16 2022 :wow:🇺🇸

event.png

1 hour ago, radharose said:

Do tell. 🤔

Well, it's just my belief but I think some adjudicators issue RFE just to buy them time. They have quotas that they have to complete with deadlines and when I see RFE like this, it makes me think that they are facing a deadline and the issuance of RFE essentially "freeze" the case until the response is in, and then they have some more time to consider the response. Again, just my theory. Someone else will disagree.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
20 hours ago, Scott Rusticus said:

Today we got an RFE for both my wife and stepsons birth certificates and translations, which we sent with their I485’s in April. Why are they asking for the same documentation I already sent to them. Any one else ever have this happen? Everything g I sent was what they asked for. Should I call and ask why?

You are not alone; myself and other April 2019 filers received RFIEs for birth certificates around the same time last week, and we know we've sent them with the AOS package. They may be trying to buy time.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Vans said:

You are not alone; myself and other April 2019 filers received RFIEs for birth certificates around the same time last week, and we know we've sent them with the AOS package. They may be trying to buy time.

What exactly are they buying time for?? I have heard that said by others and I guess I am not understanding. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Vans said:

May filer here... I hope HOPE this is a game cuz not only is loss or mishandling of PII a serious incident in terms of government compliance, in some states it comes with heavy fines for failure to notify the individual that their personal info was misplaced. The acting director of USCIS was the former Attorney General for the Commonwealth of Virginia, he knows this well already... and he goes to my church. Yes indeed, please play this game. 

Filed: IR-5 Country: England
Timeline
6 hours ago, USS_Voyager said:

Well, it's just my belief but I think some adjudicators issue RFE just to buy them time. They have quotas that they have to complete with deadlines and when I see RFE like this, it makes me think that they are facing a deadline and the issuance of RFE essentially "freeze" the case until the response is in, and then they have some more time to consider the response. Again, just my theory. Someone else will disagree.

Can't say I disagree with this theory. Although the RFE I suffered through was due completely to human error (not my own) and not the monolith that is USCIS, I have been through AOS/removal of conditions/naturalisation/IR5 for my mother and soon another for my father, and at each step on this journey I have encountered delay after unaccountable delay that no amount of phone calls could explain in the slightest. Love it as I do, this country suffers from the most appalling levels of red tape at every level of government bureaucracy. However, the most Kafkaesque machinations are undoubtedly devised by those who run USCIS and implement its so-called policy. A clean slate is needed, and now. 

-

“He’s in there fighting,” the president said. “Boris knows how to win.”

Timeline
7 hours ago, USS_Voyager said:

Well, I received it yesterday, sent the documents in today, and they will have it be Monday at 1030am, so they have not really “bought” much time. Hopefully it won’t be long after they get this documentation. 

14 minutes ago, Scott Rusticus said:

Well, I received it yesterday, sent the documents in today, and they will have it be Monday at 1030am, so they have not really “bought” much time. Hopefully it won’t be long after they get this documentation. 

I believe internally they have another period of time to review your response. I don’t know what it is exactly but probably 30-60 days something like that. So for example, each adjudicator has a quota say 400 cases/months. They may have gotten 380 done and it’s the end if the month, so he just issues bunch of RFE for random stuff on the 20 cases he did not get done. Now he just bought himself another month or so to work on those and still meets his quota. Again, just pure speculation man.

Edited by USS_Voyager

Timeline
2 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

I believe internally they have another period of time to review your response. I don’t know what it is exactly but probably 30-60 days something like that. So for example, each adjudicator has a quota say 400 cases/months. They may have gotten 380 done and it’s the end if the month, so he just issues bunch of RFE for random stuff on the 20 cases he did not get done. Now he just bought himself another month or so to work on those and still meets his quota. Again, just pure speculation man.

And apparently that is an acceptable practice, if that is indeed what is happening.  I guess I should plan for another 30-60 days after they receive it Monday. 

3 minutes ago, Scott Rusticus said:

And apparently that is an acceptable practice, if that is indeed what is happening.  I guess I should plan for another 30-60 days after they receive it Monday. 

Probably not. If they get caught by a supervisor, they probably will be in trouble. However, just like in any company, there are always employees who will think of ways to break the rules. A USCIS service center is a big operation. A supervisor might have 10 or 20 or 30 adjudicators report to him. Who has time to go through all of the petitions. 

On 6/27/2019 at 2:18 PM, Scott Rusticus said:

Calling probably wont do much, tbh. My husband was RFIEed for a non-English version of his BC when filing for AOS and he's from England. For the I-129F, I got RFEed for my Birth Certificate which I sent. It could be that it was misplaced or lost or someone doesn't understand what they are looking at and 

1 hour ago, TandSarahJane said:

May filer here... I hope HOPE this is a game cuz not only is loss or mishandling of PII a serious incident in terms of government compliance, in some states it comes with heavy fines for failure to notify the individual that their personal info was misplaced. The acting director of USCIS was the former Attorney General for the Commonwealth of Virginia, he knows this well already... and he goes to my church. Yes indeed, please play this game. 

Soooooo accurate! I do software IT for hospitals and am contracted by the government to do this as well. Every 6 months, its required to do training over the best practices. We have to report every little thing since its law With the government stuff, 9/10 its someone on their side relaying information incorrectly. Its almost like these rule apply to everyone except if you're the government.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.