Franlovera

Is this passport photo OK?

26 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, purem4g1c said:

background must be pure white, not yellow.

no shadows behind your head at all.

i took my own selfie photo for my k1 visa and it worked, i had two that i brought with me with different backgrounds and they said the one with a yellow tinge background wouldn't work it must be pure white because they will scan it and put it onto the visa after.

Bare in mind though that this picture won’t be used on a visa anyway though, as it was sent with the initial petition, not with the DS160...so I feel like there’s the potential they may be more lenient...

My fiancé (the petitioner) had his photo taken at Walgreens, and they weren’t great - I think they were dark or a little fuzzy (I can’t remember exactly, but I remember laughing with him at how rubbish they were, considering he’d paid to have them taken)...but our I-129F wasn’t rejected and we didn’t get a RFE...so don’t worry about it yet OP, it may work out ok...

Filed: IR-5 Country: England
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

Bare in mind though that this picture won’t be used on a visa anyway though, as it was sent with the initial petition, not with the DS160...so I feel like there’s the potential they may be more lenient...

My fiancé (the petitioner) had his photo taken at Walgreens, and they weren’t great - I think they were dark or a little fuzzy (I can’t remember exactly, but I remember laughing with him at how rubbish they were, considering he’d paid to have them taken)...but our I-129F wasn’t rejected and we didn’t get a RFE...so don’t worry about it yet OP, it may work out ok...

Fair enough that it worked out for you, but I am not so sanguine about the prospect of possibly getting an RFE and the accompanying delay that follows for something that can be so easily avoided if one simply follows directions. Having gone through the delay an RFE can give rise to myself when my ex-wife forgot to include any evidence in our I-129F packet we had even met, I can attest that it simply isn't worth it to not follow the rules and just "hope for the best." These are government bureaucrats, after all.

It is too late for this fellow, but others reading this thread would do well to follow the sensible advice given here about pricing at easily accessible locations. 

-

“He’s in there fighting,” the president said. “Boris knows how to win.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Just follow the guides and you will be fine. I used my own photos for the whole process so far with no issues. I get 6 passport photos done on a 4x6 photo print for .09 cents each at Walmart. Plenty of photo programs online that will help clean up, remove shadows, and make sure your photo passes muster.

epassportphoto.com is the one I use.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

It could be fine...IO's call. But an RFE for a new photo meeting the requirements is certainly in the game here. No way to know until their either RFE or approve.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

I’m going to go out on a limb and say it’ll be fine. The photo we sent of my husband (USC) with our I-130 was far worse quality. It’s just a mug shot to attach to your file. Just like my dentist puts a little photo of you on the file to put a face to a name. It’s not going to be used for the visa. They don’t have to be passport compliant because they are not being used for a passport or visa. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
22 hours ago, Franlovera said:

Hello, 

I mailed my i129f packet yesterday and am worrying about my passport picture. Wanted to ask for yalls opinion as to whether you think it will be rejected due to the shadow. I used the state departments crop tool so I know it's centered and good in that respect, but the shadow worries me. 

Thanks in advance! 

CROPPED-20190623_114046.jpg

I think you are just phishing for compliment. it is good.

Edited by mcdull

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
39 minutes ago, mcdull said:

I think you are just phishing for compliment. it is good.

LOL, nah I'm seriously worried... I would really hate for a save 7 dollars decision costing weeks/months delay. 

Hopefully it'll be fine. Hopefully visa journey will take down the attachment soon... It's a little weird to see my mug shot every time I open the thread :)

47 minutes ago, JFH said:

I’m going to go out on a limb and say it’ll be fine. The photo we sent of my husband (USC) with our I-130 was far worse quality. It’s just a mug shot to attach to your file. Just like my dentist puts a little photo of you on the file to put a face to a name. It’s not going to be used for the visa. They don’t have to be passport compliant because they are not being used for a passport or visa. 

I hope so. My financees is much better and that's the one that'll be used for the visa. Hopefully they'll let it slide.. 

2 hours ago, Loren Y said:

Just follow the guides and you will be fine. I used my own photos for the whole process so far with no issues. I get 6 passport photos done on a 4x6 photo print for .09 cents each at Walmart. Plenty of photo programs online that will help clean up, remove shadows, and make sure your photo passes muster.

epassportphoto.com is the one I use.

Thanks for the tip, if I get an rfe I'll try it out but if I'm not like 1000% with the end result, I'll probably go to a Walgreens or something. I doubt I'll have a third chance after that. 

Thanks for the tips/opinions everyone. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
23 hours ago, Franlovera said:

Hello, 

I mailed my i129f packet yesterday and am worrying about my passport picture. Wanted to ask for yalls opinion as to whether you think it will be rejected due to the shadow. I used the state departments crop tool so I know it's centered and good in that respect, but the shadow worries me. 

Thanks in advance! 

CROPPED-20190623_114046.jpg

I joined AAA and they do it 

58 minutes ago, Franlovera said:

Hopefully visa journey will take down the attachment soon... It's a little weird to see my mug shot every time I open the thread :)

I believe you need to notify the Moderators for it to be removed: https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/711087-is-this-passport-photo-ok/?do=reportComment&comment=9768079

12 hours ago, Boris Farage said:

Fair enough that it worked out for you, but I am not so sanguine about the prospect of possibly getting an RFE and the accompanying delay that follows for something that can be so easily avoided if one simply follows directions. Having gone through the delay an RFE can give rise to myself when my ex-wife forgot to include any evidence in our I-129F packet we had even met, I can attest that it simply isn't worth it to not follow the rules and just "hope for the best." These are government bureaucrats, after all.

It is too late for this fellow, but others reading this thread would do well to follow the sensible advice given here about pricing at easily accessible locations. 

Absolutely, I agree - I wasn’t offering advice for future submitters, as of course, better to get it perfect first time - but for reassurance to the OP, as from my experience, as @JFH has said also, I don’t think it should cause a problem - so the OP doesn’t need to start worrying just yet. 

• 3 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Hi everyone, so just to provide closure, just got the noa2 with no rfe! I'm so happy :)

Thanks everyone for your opinion and advice! 

Edited by Franlovera

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.