LaBeach

Social Media Handles

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-visa/trump-administration-approves-tougher-visa-vetting-including-social-media-checks-idUSKBN18R3F8?fbclid=IwAR3Jp05Fgrs5cKj7fVNvWqxejHf3JFak92uhlL2ktRM2xh7QeC8poJKEPL0

I'm sure we have all seen the updates about the new social media disclosure policy. I am pondering the effect it will have, if any, on the timeline for processing visas. Hoping someone with an interview after the implementation can give us an update.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
45 minutes ago, LaBeach said:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-visa/trump-administration-approves-tougher-visa-vetting-including-social-media-checks-idUSKBN18R3F8?fbclid=IwAR3Jp05Fgrs5cKj7fVNvWqxejHf3JFak92uhlL2ktRM2xh7QeC8poJKEPL0

I'm sure we have all seen the updates about the new social media disclosure policy. I am pondering the effect it will have, if any, on the timeline for processing visas. Hoping someone with an interview after the implementation can give us an update.

After reading the article and the mindset of the current administration, it would likely be naive to think that it would not have an effect on the processing of visas, more required vetting likely equals longer processing times.

(I hope that I am wrong.)

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Edited by Pitaya (火龙果)

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

social media is the easiest to check

so,  it will add time to only those applications that leave off info

for example:   in last 5 years someone says i have a facebook and 2 email ID"s

a CO first googles the immigrants name/ you would all be surprised what comes up

then he/she  does a facial recognition to check for dating sites and other facebook ID's  much like catfish TV show

now you go to one of the email ID's and say "forgot my password"  the other given email ID (or cell phone on application ) should show up for backup reset of email password/  if anything else shows that has not been stated,  the person has lied on the form

all emails are checked in this matter

The object here is to see if the immigrant is not honest

protected apps are whatsapp (encrypted)

One woman i talked to found out (from DHS thru the embassy) that her bf had several dating sites and at least 2 facebook/ he had to do the ds5535 and the security checks showed he "loved " women from several countries / it was not hard for DHS to feret out the fraud 

so, an hour on a computer can expose a lot and any honest immigrants will slide 

but others will face a hurdle

Timeline
2 hours ago, adil-rafa said:

social media is the easiest to check

so,  it will add time to only those applications that leave off info

for example:   in last 5 years someone says i have a facebook and 2 email ID"s

a CO first googles the immigrants name/ you would all be surprised what comes up

then he/she  does a facial recognition to check for dating sites and other facebook ID's  much like catfish TV show

now you go to one of the email ID's and say "forgot my password"  the other given email ID (or cell phone on application ) should show up for backup reset of email password/  if anything else shows that has not been stated,  the person has lied on the form

all emails are checked in this matter

The object here is to see if the immigrant is not honest

protected apps are whatsapp (encrypted)

One woman i talked to found out (from DHS thru the embassy) that her bf had several dating sites and at least 2 facebook/ he had to do the ds5535 and the security checks showed he "loved " women from several countries / it was not hard for DHS to feret out the fraud 

so, an hour on a computer can expose a lot and any honest immigrants will slide 

but others will face a hurdle

I also see the potential for holdups over simple mistakes. Five years is a long time when we are talking about technology. For example I have email addresses I have long forgotten and no longer use, some people make multiple social media profiles because they forgot the password and don't have access to backup email to reset. Some people create multiple profiles for different reasons, for example I have 2 linkedin profiles, one for my daily profession and one for a hobby profession. I just think of all the platforms that are no longer around or popular, how would people even remember their handles for those.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~MOved to Immigration News and Discussion, from K1 P&P - As similar threads are discussed here.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
2 hours ago, LaBeach said:

I also see the potential for holdups over simple mistakes. Five years is a long time when we are talking about technology. For example I have email addresses I have long forgotten and no longer use, some people make multiple social media profiles because they forgot the password and don't have access to backup email to reset. Some people create multiple profiles for different reasons, for example I have 2 linkedin profiles, one for my daily profession and one for a hobby profession. I just think of all the platforms that are no longer around or popular, how would people even remember their handles for those.

i also have had many as places like hotmail got sold to skype and i have a netzero for garbage when a company wants an email and i don't want to get their junk and when i bought a cell from AT&T they made me create one

but this doesn't mean you are excused from remembering /forgeting a password is very normal but DHS will discover all emails (past and present)  even if you can't 

and the reason this is important is many USC are being scammed by people "pretending Love" for a green card

and using multiple sites to talk to multiple possible mates 

Timeline
1 hour ago, adil-rafa said:

i also have had many as places like hotmail got sold to skype and i have a netzero for garbage when a company wants an email and i don't want to get their junk and when i bought a cell from AT&T they made me create one

but this doesn't mean you are excused from remembering /forgeting a password is very normal but DHS will discover all emails (past and present)  even if you can't 

and the reason this is important is many USC are being scammed by people "pretending Love" for a green card

Actually that's not why they want the information. It is for national security reasons. Don't get me wrong they want to prevent fraud but protecting the hearts of Americans is not on their priority list. I'm also fairly sure they will not be searching accounts and using the "forgot password" option to snoop around. They don't have the manpower for that and they would violate multiple laws with those actions. similarly, accounts that are private and cannot be viewed will not have to made public just so the embassy can see it. They are interested in anti-american sentiments and of course if they see fraud they would act on it but fraud isn't the reason for the inquiry.

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 5:27 PM, adil-rafa said:

There would be no way for DHS or anybody to find out others email addresses past and present, Just no way in the world that could ever happen. Especially someone from outside of the USA. Just like finding out their social media handles or names.   Seems pretty silly to ask for that now of days

ChickBoy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
10 hours ago, Falcon Cara said:

There would be no way for DHS or anybody to find out others email addresses past and present, Just no way in the world that could ever happen. Especially someone from outside of the USA. Just like finding out their social media handles or names.   Seems pretty silly to ask for that now of days

There are more ways than the average person wants to imagine.  If you are communicating with a foreign national your traffic may be monitored.  You may have various forward facing handles but you are most likely using a limited number of providers on a limited number of computers that are all leaving their traces behind while you are online. 

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

5 hours ago, NigeriaorBust said:

There are more ways than the average person wants to imagine.  If you are communicating with a foreign national your traffic may be monitored.  You may have various forward facing handles but you are most likely using a limited number of providers on a limited number of computers that are all leaving their traces behind while you are online. 

We are talking about people coming to USA from other countries, not US Citizens.  They is for people getting visas, did you read the article or read my post?

Like I said it seems pretty silly and waste of time for the most part, I am rather familiar with Phillippines you get a SIM card and buy data from street vendor or a vendor and no way DHS can trace your phone, which seems to be the most popular way to communicate now of days is using a phone rather than a laptop.   If you wanted to use a computer just pop into a internet café and set up all your accounts, no way DHS can trace you.

ChickBoy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
6 hours ago, Falcon Cara said:

We are talking about people coming to USA from other countries, not US Citizens.  They is for people getting visas, did you read the article or read my post?

Like I said it seems pretty silly and waste of time for the most part, I am rather familiar with Phillippines you get a SIM card and buy data from street vendor or a vendor and no way DHS can trace your phone, which seems to be the most popular way to communicate now of days is using a phone rather than a laptop.   If you wanted to use a computer just pop into a internet café and set up all your accounts, no way DHS can trace you.

It isn't as simple as that  The sim card is reserving a phone line with a carrier. Message headers still contain data about the device, the carrier and in most first world countries the geo location data.  I doubt you change email accounts for each email. You are so much more traceable than you think. 

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline
On 6/16/2019 at 10:39 PM, Falcon Cara said:

On 6/17/2019 at 9:40 AM, NigeriaorBust said:

20 hours ago, Falcon Cara said:

14 hours ago, NigeriaorBust said:

It isn't as simple as that  The sim card is reserving a phone line with a carrier. Message headers still contain data about the device, the carrier and in most first world countries the geo location data.  I doubt you change email accounts for each email. You are so much more traceable than you think. 

Can we all just agree to disagree on traceability? The thread is devolving into a debate about a tangential issue instead of focusing on the original reason for the post- what if any delays may come from the request for the information. We won't know that until people who provide the information tell us their experience. 

19 hours ago, NigeriaorBust said:

there is no emails associates with my phones that I use when I travel overseas

ChickBoy

• 1 month later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.