Unlockable

USA Today: President Donald Trump orders crackdown on 'visa overstays' in latest push against illegal immigration

236 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

If someone doesn't want to live or move to the US, why apply for a US visa?

I don't even know where to start :) If you want to see the sights, visit places you saw in pictures in real life but you are absolutely OK with your country and want to live there. No? I thought it is obvious, the US is not the best country in the world and not everyone wants to live there no matter what. Even though it seems to me that Americans do think that everyone is dreaming about moving here. 

There are different situations and sometimes you have to compromise to be with the person you love. 

Edited by LenaT

18 hours ago, missileman said:

Maybe unforeseeable disasters like a parent becoming terminally ill during a visit...

This is exactly the reason why I'm AoS at the moment.  Was here on a 3 week visit and at the end of week 2 MIL sits all the kiddos down to tell them that she's been diagnosed with cancer; and the prognosis wasn't good (7 months later she's through her treatments "successfully" but having a host of issues related to long-term side effects of the chemo) - I can't imagine not having been here to support my husband and help the MIL while she's ill - I'd be over at her place almost every day doing laundry, cleaning, preparing meals and such - though at the same time, I have a lot of mixed feelings about the way it all went down. I quit my job while on vacation, which is so incredibly unprofessional. I had to ask friends to clear out my apartment which was embarrassing. I had to arrange proper care and then transport for my cat to get here which was stressful, heartbreaking and expensive.  My savings are destroyed (over half gone, compared to this time last year) and my social life is in a total shambles because things that I'd committed to previously I couldn't do (which my friends understand, but it's not the same hearing about events vs. being at them).   I'd never call this the "easy" way at all, but it was certainly the "best" thing we could do at the time - we knew that if I went home that I'd not be able to get more time off work for at least 4-6 months (if I was lucky - talking with old workmates I'm hearing stories of how much harder it is to get time off work lately and that leave requests are being denied left, right and centre because there's too much work and not enough people)

So, even as someone who's doing AoS I personally think that it shouldn't be something that's allowed - if only to align the whole process and make it more "fair" on everyone.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, The_Empyrean said:

You don't get what i mean by suffer?

No, I don't see the point of saying it to me. I understand what it is to suffer. I just shared the same thought about suffering without actually naming it. I am not against stopping illegal immigration and I am a person who does everything by the rules and already pay my taxes to support those who do not. I just find it weird that you seem to oppose the same idea :) 

Great for you wife. I am not in the same spot yet. I don't know how you can quickly adjust to living here after living your whole life in a different system (that is in many ways is more logical because I still have the same way of thinking as I had)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lithuania
Timeline
1 minute ago, LenaT said:

I don't even know where to start :) If you want to see the sights, visit places you saw on pictures in real life but you are absolutely OK with your country and want to live there. No? I thought it is obvious, the US is not the best country in the world and not everyone wants to live there no matter what. Even though it seems to me that Americans do think that everyone is dreaming about moving here. 

There are different situations and sometimes you have to compromise to be with a person you love. 

thats why there will be bonds. On the way back you pick it back up. Whats the problem?

I'm not the beneficiary. But the whole processing and moving her here took a toll on me too. Financially, emotionally too. And? nobody cares, and nobody will. It's only the beneficiaries who are being torn apart from their families. i don't wanna go too much off topic.

Compromise is, wanna get married? wanna move to USA? File K-1 or CR-1. No B2/VWP Adjustments. Make it ACTUALLY equal to everyone, and no one will complain about the "more equal ones". 

I find US immigration a bit weird. usually the upper class is taken care of cause they fund everything, but in immigration is other way around. People who fund, get pushed to the back lol 
Thats not a complaint, that's just an observation. 

By the way, yeah not the best country in the world and not everyone wants to move here. Thats why we have so many illegal immigrants in USA, and we have a massive immigration issue.

There are plenty other countries who offer better. Scandinavia, Germany, Japan, Australia. Just to name a few. but it just happen to happen that USA has the worst immigration problem out of all the countries mentioned.

I see what you're trying to say though, don't get me wrong. Im not going personal. Just showing my points, and my view. 

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

We hear about those stories all the time of someone coming over on a K1 or even a CR1 and not adjusting, couples need to really talk and decide where it is best to reside.

People usually talk about it before even deciding to get married. 

1 hour ago, Bill & Katya said:

We hear about those stories all the time of someone coming over on a K1 or even a CR1 and not adjusting, couples need to really talk and decide where it is best to reside.

I think those stories always have another side that either the person isn't saying or the person isn't aware of the actual issue.

At least on VJ, if the spouse isn't helping the immigrant adjust it's either for financial reasons or abuse that isn't apparent to the immigrant ("I know s/he loves me, but s/he seems happy with me being here and staying at the house! I want to be able to work, but s/he doesn't think I need too so they don't know why I need to adjust!" or the "I want to go out and do things but s/he doesn't want me too, I don't know what to do!" or the famed "Well money's really tight since I came over and s/he is trying to save up").

Usually when it comes to the cost, people just say "Well you knew it was going to be 1000$, why didn't you start saving up then?" or "Your fiance/spouse/sponsor had to prove they made enough money just to sponsor you, there shouldn't be an issue with the cost!" when in reality you can be severely in debt and still sponsor someone. Make 60k a year and are single, but owe 50k in debt! No problem! You can sponsor a person!

The ones that don't adjust still stay here, they just end up doing -nothing-, but I don't really ever think it's fault of the immigrant in this case. You could say that they should know their spouse well enough, but it'####### or miss.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Other Timeline
16 hours ago, NYCruiser said:

What exactly is not thought out? Visa Overstayers and what should be done? I think President Trump is marvelous on this area

16 hours ago, theresaL said:

Exactly. The President isn't saying there is a plan in place and it applies to this, this and this scenario. He has tasked the applicable agencies to look into the situation and come back with recommendations. I would imagine after the 4 months this is what will then lead to a formulated plan and proposals. So for someone to say it's not well thought out is jumping ahead of the process.

It's not thought out in the way that he's targeting small countries who already have strict guidelines on tourist visas in place (hence only 400 expected departures from Djibouti) and have little to no effect on the waves of immigration. They are pushing buttons, playing with the government lawmaking machine to bar a few hundred people from overstaying instead of thousands if they had used numbers instead of percentages. The agencies did the research right and the numbers are there; they just choose to read them upside down.

9 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

Adjustment from tourist visas here was called, by a retired CO who used to post here, "the change of mind at baggage claim."  He was heatedly opposed to AOS from tourist visas.

He sounds like a pretty cool guy lol

Edited by celie&joseph

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days & AOS w/EAD and AP: 180 days

Spoiler

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days                                                                                                                               AOS from K1 w/EAD and AP: 180 days

09/12/18: NOA1 old site (9/17 new site)                                                                                                     05/22/19: AOS package mailed to Chicago, IL

01/28/19: NOA2 new site (old site never changed)                                                                                   05/24/19: USCIS Received date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/19/19: NVC Received                                                                                                                                05/29/19: Notice date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/20/19: Case Number Assigned                                                                                                               06/19/19: Biometrics Appointment

04/05/19: Interview - APPROVED!                                                                                                                06/14/19: Biometrics Completed - walk in

04/08/19: CEAC-NIV Application Received                                                                                                 08/06/19: Ready to be Scheduled for Interview Status

04/09/19: CEAC-NIV Administrative Processing                                                                                       10/11/19: Interview Scheduled status

04/10/19: CEAC- Issued                                                                                                                                 11/05/19: EAD/AP approved

04/12/19: Visa in hand                                                                                                                                   11/16/19: EAD/AP card Received

04/30-5/1/19: POE via IAH - Houston, TX                                                                                                   11/18/19: AOS Interview - APPROVED! same day status change to Approved, then New Card being Produced

05/10/19: I Do's!                                                                                                                                               11/25/19: Green Card in Hand

ROC:                                                                                                                                                                  

08/20/21: Filed ROC

08/23/21: USCIS received package

08/25/21: Text received/Case # assigned

08/26/22: Case transferred to NBC for "speedy processing"

Citizenship:

08/22/22: Filed N-400 online

08/22/22: NOA1/Biometrics Reused                                                                                                           

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, The_Empyrean said:

thats why there will be bonds. On the way back you pick it back up. Whats the problem?

I'm not the beneficiary. But the whole processing and moving her here took a toll on me too. Financially, emotionally too. And? nobody cares, and nobody will. It's only the beneficiaries who are being torn apart from their families. i don't wanna go too much off topic.

Compromise is, wanna get married? wanna move to USA? File K-1 or CR-1. No B2/VWP Adjustments. Make it ACTUALLY equal to everyone, and no one will complain about the "more equal ones". 

I find US immigration a bit weird. usually the upper class is taken care of cause they fund everything, but in immigration is other way around. People who fund, get pushed to the back lol 
Thats not a complaint, that's just an observation. 

By the way, yeah not the best country in the world and not everyone wants to move here. Thats why we have so many illegal immigrants in USA, and we have a massive immigration issue.

There are plenty other countries who offer better. Scandinavia, Germany, Japan, Australia. Just to name a few. but it just happen to happen that USA has the worst immigration problem out of all the countries mentioned.

I see what you're trying to say though, don't get me wrong. Im not going personal. Just showing my points, and my view. 

You mentioned Australia, don't they segregate their asylum seekers on an island somewhere?

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

You mentioned Australia, don't they segregate their asylum seekers on an island somewhere?

I believe they do, and Japan is not that welcoming, even Canada has had a change of heart.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

1 hour ago, LenaT said:

People usually talk about it before even deciding to get married. 

Do they?  I would hope they do, but I think there are a lot that don't.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lithuania
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I believe they do, and Japan is not that welcoming, even Canada has had a change of heart.

i wasn't sure. i just threw Australia in. None of these countries are VERY welcoming. But no one bats an eye, but when USA starts to control the immigration, it's inhumane for some reason.
regardless, i don't understand why people are siding with illegals, and their "rights". Then all people who break the law, but not criminal, should be excused as "hardship". I parked my car by the hydrant cause i didn't find another spot to park at, please judge take this into consideration. That parking spot was illegal, i know, but it's the closest one, and the best spot to park, i had an opportunity to park, and did that not from the parking conditions. 

Yeah it's an exaggeration. But in a nutshell, i kinda can relate it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
2 minutes ago, The_Empyrean said:

i wasn't sure. i just threw Australia in. None of these countries are VERY welcoming. But no one bats an eye, but when USA starts to control the immigration, it's inhumane for some reason.
regardless, i don't understand why people are siding with illegals, and their "rights". Then all people who break the law, but not criminal, should be excused as "hardship". I parked my car by the hydrant cause i didn't find another spot to park at, please judge take this into consideration. That parking spot was illegal, i know, but it's the closest one, and the best spot to park, i had an opportunity to park, and did that not from the parking conditions. 

Yeah it's an exaggeration. But in a nutshell, i kinda can relate it.

I do not have an answer, some are just open border types and when I thin ask about the consequences I just get a glazed look. Others are opportunistic and see their short term profit. Probably no one answer.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
4 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

two B2 denials and some folks I knew telling me she should fly to Mexico and cross illegally

When the rogue, ####### Guayaquil consulate hosed us for the K-1, Mrs. T-B.-to-be and I agreed, somberly and without discussion, that if she were an illegal Mexican, she'd be here already and would be on top of the world.

3 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

even some immigration attorneys suggesting a B2 adjustment over a CR1/K1 is a bit troubling.

99% of all lawyers give the rest a bad name.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I do not have an answer, some are just open border types and when I thin ask about the consequences I just get a glazed look. Others are opportunistic and see their short term profit. Probably no one answer.

I wish people would be more mindful of the consequences.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.