Qian

Expeditious Naturalization (INA319B)-A Complete Experience Report

182 posts in this topic

On 7/28/2021 at 2:09 PM, Iscir said:

Besides that letter, you can include in your application your spouses DEROS, it has the end date of your spouse’s assignment.  Also, your spouse’s assignment history should have the end date of his current assignment too. 
I couldn’t get a letter from my husbands boss, so I sent orders, deros and assignment history :)  

Got it, thanks. 

Interview is tomorrow and am a bit nervous! On a side note, I don't have my spouse's original birth certificate (just the photocopy) and there's no way international shipping will bring it to me by tomorrow morning 😬. Wondering if this is a problem

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline
13 hours ago, ma06 said:

And that was it. I am now a US citizen and no longer have to deal with USCIS!  Overall experience with the IO: 10/10. He was excellent and very helpful  🥳

Congratulations!!! 

Thanks so much for updating the post with your experience, lets help more people!

Expeditious Naturalization 319B (Experience Report)

CR1 I-130 NOA1: Apr 17 2017

Naturalization: Apr 11 2019  

US passport in hand: Apr 18 2019 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline
On 8/11/2021 at 7:35 PM, ma06 said:

Update: Got done with naturalization! Process was easy and straightforward. I also had ROC application pending so that had to be adjudicated prior to N400. 

First of all, IO asked to see the itinerary and made sure departure date is within 45 days of the interview

ROC itself was pretty easy. Just basic questions about marriage (how we met, where we live, latest tax returns and if I'd like to add anything else to the evidence and that was about it) and was approved. IO may be just doing stuff on the computer so don't be alarmed if you feel they're not attentive or interacting with you enough.

Then proceeded to N400 civics, reading and writing. At the end of it, IO made sure to tell me 319b entails I stay with my spouse for the whole time of their assignment. Then, I signed a few things on the tablet and was told I passed and the application would be approved. I was given same day oath ceremony which was within a few hours. If your interview is on a Monday you may be asked to come back for oath the next day.

To be honest, we chatted a lot of about other random stuff in between and that made me feel more comfortable at the interview.

Few things to note:

- At the check in desk downstairs, they may not be able to find your name or may be confused. Tell them you're under military (even if you're just 319b and not necessarily military) and they should be able to figure it out or the supervisor will point it out to them. Obviously if they find your name then no need to mention military or anything. Same at the check in desk upstairs. 

- Second thing: Don't worry if others who came in after you are done or called in before you are. That's because there is only 1 officer handling 319b/military cases (At least on the day I was interviewing) and other people are under non 319b cases. I had to wait for about 30-45 minutes before I was called in. 

Oath ceremony was very quick. No guests are allowed due to covid which is understandable.

And that was it. I am now a US citizen and no longer have to deal with USCIS!  Overall experience with the IO: 10/10. He was excellent and very helpful  🥳

Good luck to you all!

Congratulations!! 🎉 And thank you so much for sharing your experience 😄

Timeline
7 hours ago, OmarStuck said:

I have submitted an N-400 application last week for my wife on the basis of "spouse of US Citizen employed at American Institution of Research".

Will give details when process is complete.

Hope all goes well. Please report back and let us know!

Exciting! 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Qian,

I am in the same boat. I will be moving to Singapore soon. Two questions: a) do you recommend that we apply prior to moving to Singapore (two months from now) and b) once we move to Singapore, I’m assuming I can apply for employment there too right? I have read everything and nothing states that I cant be employed overseas?

Thanks!

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Rox2010 said:

Hi Qian,

I am in the same boat. I will be moving to Singapore soon. Two questions: a) do you recommend that we apply prior to moving to Singapore (two months from now) and b) once we move to Singapore, I’m assuming I can apply for employment there too right? I have read everything and nothing states that I cant be employed overseas?

Thanks!

Hi Roy, welcome to Singapore (in two month)

You will have to elaborate a bit more for me. Are you the foreign spouse or the US citizen? Where are you at in immigration process if you are the spouse of the USC...?

Technically, anyone with a valid status in Singapore could apply for employment. Your qualifications, experiences are the key. Things are a little tricky during this Cover time too. Got your message, we can discuss there too.

• 4 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

I am done with my immigration process and I wanted to update this thread since it was very helpful for me. Hopefully my post will help others in the future!

I had my interview at Washington DC field office. I highly recommend it if you’re already overseas.  they let you choose your interview date, which makes things easier when planning your trip back to the US.
I had to file for ROC one month before my interview date, and I contacted the military helpline at first to see if they could transfer my case to the office so I could have a combo interview. They said they would contact me back but they never did, so once I got my case number I emailed the field office (on a weekend) and they replied the same day saying they would ask for my case to be sent to them :) 

Now, about my interview: it was very short and straightforward. Went through the civics, writing and reading test, and then we went through some questions that were black on my application for some reason (I remember answering them). Then very quickly the officer went through some questions from part 12. And that was it. The only document needed from me was my spouse’s military orders, and I had same day oath a few of hours after my interview. They didn’t really ask me anything about ROC except to confirm information from my application. 

Also, I contacted the passport appointment line to get a passport before my travel date out of the US. I called only a week before so I was not able to get an appointment in Washington DC. So I had to go to another state to get it. 

Edited by Iscir
Added info

Timeline
On 1/20/2022 at 6:01 AM, Iscir said:

I am done with my immigration process and I wanted to update this thread since it was very helpful for me. Hopefully my post will help others in the future!

Congratulations!!

And thank you for your update!

I did notice the updated wording on USCIS manual regarding qualifying 319B employment clearly listed “U.S. armed forces” and “firm and corporation” together, which is clearer, I think.

Here I quote the updated description for anyone who is interested:

• Government of the United States (including the U.S. armed forces);

• American institution of research recognized as such by the Attorney General;[13]

• American firm or corporation engaged in whole or in part in the development of foreign trade and commerce of the United States, or a subsidiary thereof;

• Public international organization in which the United States participates by treaty or statute;[14]

• Authorized to perform the ministerial or priestly functions of a religious denomination having a bona fide organization within the United States; or

• Engaged solely as a missionary by a religious denomination or by an interdenominational mission organization having a bona fide organization within the United States. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Hi Qian,

thank you for making this post!  You are making a difference...

Summary of Situation:

I am a contractor working abroad for the in support of the U.S. Military.  My wife became a permanent resident on 07/30/2021 and currently has a Green Card.  Shortly after we came to the U.S. for immigration purposes we left and returned back overseas.  To date we have been out of the U.S. for about 6 months.  Today, I started the N-400 application online with the intention to utilize the 319b.   Our goal is to apply for Naturalization while abroad and only return for the actual immigration interview, exam and oath all at the same time if possible.   

Application Questions:

1. Current Address  (See attachment)

- Our current mailing address is a FPO military box.  Online it mentions not use it if have another address.  We could use our overseas physical address and or our Permanent U.S. Address, but ideally we would use the military FPO box.  What are your recommendations?  

2. History of Residence

- Should we include her permanent address in the states?  I.e.. the one we used for the Permanent Residency application.  Or can we just omit it and use our actual addresses, which have all been overseas.

3.  Have you taken a trip outside of the U.S. the last 5 years.

- Well the answer is yes - we want to know if this will affect her application?  As we left 08-11-2021, and have not returned yet - Feb 11th will make 6 months.  Should we be trying to return before then or is it ok?  

Thank you!

Lawrence

PO BOX advice.PNG

Timeline
On 1/22/2022 at 12:59 AM, Lawrence_ said:

Application Questions:

1. Current Address  (See attachment)

- Our current mailing address is a FPO military box.  Online it mentions not use it if have another address.  We could use our overseas physical address and or our Permanent U.S. Address, but ideally we would use the military FPO box.  What are your recommendations?  

2. History of Residence

- Should we include her permanent address in the states?  I.e.. the one we used for the Permanent Residency application.  Or can we just omit it and use our actual addresses, which have all been overseas.

3.  Have you taken a trip outside of the U.S. the last 5 years.

- Well the answer is yes - we want to know if this will affect her application?  As we left 08-11-2021, and have not returned yet - Feb 11th will make 6 months.  Should we be trying to return before then or is it ok?  

Hi Lawrence thanks for your kind words.

I think we’ve got another 319B case here! All look great to me.

re your questions:

1. I would use the permanent US address, if there’s someone can get the mail for you. Having a permanent address implies her intention of returning too. That’s what I did too. They would send the hard copy notice to that address, but you could see everting online also. If you can’t get the letters from there, your FPO would be ok too.

2. Part 5- residence is about your wife’s history of residence in the past 5 years. Include all address where she has lived in in the pase 5 years, overseas and/or the States.  

3. I put all the actual dates there- dates left the US, returned to the US, and the number of days outside the US. I added a separated sheet to clarify the situation and emphasize I was applying under 319B.

Good luck! How exciting!

Qian

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi @Qian,

First of all, thank you so much for this incredibly helpful topic. I used your information as guidelines when assembling my citizenship application under INA 319(b) provisions. 

Second, I have run into some issue for which I could use your advice. 

My husband is a civilian contractor working for the US military abroad since August 2021. As soon as we had his orders in hand, June 2021, I submitted my N-400. We anticipated the process would take 6 months and by the end of 2021 I would have become a US citizen and move overseas with my husband. The reason why we chose for me to stay in the US for the time being was lack of employment opportunities if not a US citizen in the country of his assignment. Obviously, we did not want to loose a big chunk of our income.

Well, it's been 8 months and no interview date in sight. At this point we decided that we can not continue the separation and I will be moving soon with the N-400 still pending. My question is how would this affect the process? Does it change something in my eligibility? I will notify the USCIS of the change of address. Is there anything else I should do? Can I request to change my field office? I picked Houston out of convenience since we live here but apparently it was a mistake due to huge backlogs. 

I had completed ROC and had 10-year GC before the N-400 application submission. 

Thanks in advance for your insight. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Portugal
Timeline

Hi All - Thank you so much for posting your experience and a special BIG THANK YOU to @Qian for giving us hope to get this through ourselves, even after multiple immigration lawyers stated they did not want to help.

Context:

• Long time H1B1 holder
  • Married Nov 2017 to a US citizen
  • Green Card Aug 2019 (lawyers took awhile to apply)
  • Filed i-751 June 2021
  • Received i-751 noticed of receipt August 2021 with 18 month extension of Green Card
  • Received additional extension for Green Card to 24 months due to backlog for i-751 in September 2021
  • US citizen husband received work contract overseas in Nov 2021 (non-military)
  • Applied for Rentry Permit Dec 2021
  • Wasted time with immigration lawyers and then found this amazing forum and help from a co-worker who recently did it the year before

Current status:

• Applied January 7th, 2022 via online to the Washington DC field office and used spouse's parent's address as mailing
  • Previous biometrics noticed of acceptance January 21st, 2022
  • Left the US on Feb 1st, 2022
  • Received email February 5th, 2022 to pick interview (options are Feb 20 through May 1) //Still in shock of the speed of this process//

A few questions for this amazing group:

1. Does my US Citizen spouse need to accompany me to the interview? (I have seen no but want to double check)
  2. I would like to leave right after the oath ceremony, do you receive a physical naturalization certificate right away?
  3. I know someone have done this, but email from USCIS clearly states that I need a "valid passport" to leave the US. Has anyone recently left on their old passport and applied to their overseas embassy? (Also it does not say valid US passport to leave the US but I am assuming here)
  4. Do I need to notify USCIS about my pending i-751 or something about putting them together? and if so how do I do this?

Thank you for the help!

Edited by miniAussie1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
1 hour ago, JSWH said:

Hi @Qian,

First of all, thank you so much for this incredibly helpful topic. I used your information as guidelines when assembling my citizenship application under INA 319(b) provisions. 

Second, I have run into some issue for which I could use your advice. 

My husband is a civilian contractor working for the US military abroad since August 2021. As soon as we had his orders in hand, June 2021, I submitted my N-400. We anticipated the process would take 6 months and by the end of 2021 I would have become a US citizen and move overseas with my husband. The reason why we chose for me to stay in the US for the time being was lack of employment opportunities if not a US citizen in the country of his assignment. Obviously, we did not want to loose a big chunk of our income.

Well, it's been 8 months and no interview date in sight. At this point we decided that we can not continue the separation and I will be moving soon with the N-400 still pending. My question is how would this affect the process? Does it change something in my eligibility? I will notify the USCIS of the change of address. Is there anything else I should do? Can I request to change my field office? I picked Houston out of convenience since we live here but apparently it was a mistake due to huge backlogs. 

I had completed ROC and had 10-year GC before the N-400 application submission. 

Thanks in advance for your insight. 

Hi @JSWH,

My husband is also a civilian contractor working for US military abroad. We applied for my N-400 in April 2021 and I got naturalized on Jan 2022. I travelled with my husband for his assignment end of May 2021 and submitted  N-400 application before leaving USA. You should not have any problem with your application if you decide to travel and join your husband. You will have to book your flights back and forth once you know your date of interview. 

Regarding the option of changing filed office, I would suggest you to directly check with a USCIS agent by contacting their customer support number. Mine was done at Washington DC field office and I got the opportunity for same day oath taking.

You may also try reaching out to your Congressman for expediting your N-400 case. Sometimes, they may be able to help you. 

Here is the link to Senator Cornyn's (Texas) website for more info: https://www.cornyn.senate.gov/content/services/visas-immigration

I reached out to their office to schedule an emergency passport appointment at Washington DC office and they helped me with that. 

Edited by Sharu

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.