Qian

Expeditious Naturalization (INA319B)-A Complete Experience Report

182 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline
4 hours ago, Likica said:

@Qian Hi Qian - you mentioned under one of your key points when filing that you were married more than one year when filing. Is it a requirement to be married more than one year when filing for naturalization under 319(b)? 

Hi Likica

Yes, that is correct.

See below for your information:

A. General Eligibility for Spouses of U.S. Citizens Employed Abroad

The spouse of a U.S. citizen who is “regularly stationed abroad” in qualifying employment may be eligible for naturalization on the basis of their marriage.[1] Spouses otherwise eligible under this provision are exempt from the continuous residence and physical presence requirements for naturalization.[2]

The spouse must establish that he or she meets the following criteria in order to qualify: 

• Age 18 or older at the time of filing.

• LPR at the time of filing the naturalization application.

• Continue to be the spouse of the U.S. citizen up until the time the applicant takes the Oath of Allegiance.

• Married to a U.S. citizen spouse regularly stationed abroad in qualifying employment for at least one year.

• Has a good faith intent to reside abroad with the U.S. citizen spouse upon naturalization and to reside in the United States immediately upon the citizen spouse’s termination of employment abroad.

• Establish that he or she will depart to join the citizen spouse within 30 to 45 days after the date of naturalization.[3]

• Understanding of basic English, including the ability to read, write, and speak.

• Knowledge of basic U.S. history and government.

• Demonstrate good moral character for at least three years prior to filing the application until the time of naturalization.[4]

• Attachment to the principles of the U.S. Constitution and well-disposed to the good order and happiness of the U.S. during all relevant periods under the law.

Expeditious Naturalization 319B (Experience Report)

CR1 I-130 NOA1: Apr 17 2017

Naturalization: Apr 11 2019  

US passport in hand: Apr 18 2019 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

@Likica @Qian I just want to say, I know the wording is a little strange, but it doesn't mean that you have to be married at least one year to apply. Instead, it means that your spouse has a contract to work abroad for at least one year. But I am not sure if that means your spouse needs at least one year left on their contract when you apply for naturalization, or when you take the oath.

If you check the Code of federal regulations, it says that you have to:

''Establish that his or her citizen spouse satisfies the requirements under section 319(b)(1) of the Act, including that he or she is regularly stationed abroad. For purposes of this section, a citizen spouse is regularly stationed abroad if he or she proceeds abroad, for a period of not less than one year, pursuant to an employment contract or orders, and assumes the duties of employment;''

Timeline

Thanks @Iscir

Interesting! I never thought about it that way. I think you are probably right.

I guess it sounded to me that,  that part is talking about the spouse’s eligibility, and the employment is separately specified. 

Anyway, good luck @Likica

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Congratulations those who already got interviewed or obtained citizenship! 

I filed my N-400 under 319b in Apr 2021 while my husband and I were in South Korea but it’s still “actively reviewed” until now and we’re back in the states. Submitted change of address a month ago but haven’t gotten any official letters yet. 

Is there anyone in similar situations like me? It seems to take too long but the website says wait 3 months more in average. 

03/14/2018 I-129f Petition sent 

Hi all, 

Just updating this with my experience from yesterday, where I interviewed at the DC office, had same day oath, and ultimately left as a USC! :)

Thank you so much to this forum, but primarily to Qian, Iscir & MiniAussie for their help with all of this process. I cannot believe that I have gone from GC holder to USC in 4 months time! 

Timeline:

• Long time L1A holder
  • Married Feb 2021 to a US citizen, applied for AOS in Mar 2021
  • Green Card received Mar 2022 
  • Applied for N400 Expedite in April 2022
  • Relocated to Europe for work with USC spouse in May 2022
  • Received email with dates for interview in Washington in May 2022
  • Interviewed July 2022 in Washington DC,  approved 25 minutes later, waited 2 hours for same day oath, left with my naturalization certificate 

For context, my USC spouse was offered a 2 year assignment abroad, working for her same employer, who is a US publicly traded entity. As her role ultimately benefits the US holding entity, and therefore the US economy, we applied under 319(b) and were accepted for expedited citizenship. 

Feel free to ask me any questions if necessary and I will offer my help and advice where possible. 

Thanks again to everybody and good luck to all. 

• 1 month later...

So, I mailed off our packaged to the Arizona Lock Box per their instruction on the  2 August 2022 and asked that we be interviewed in Seattle.  How long does a 319b application take.  My understanding is that they are to get special handling.  Is this true?

Timeline
13 hours ago, Truth_Seeker said:

So, I mailed off our packaged to the Arizona Lock Box per their instruction on the  2 August 2022 and asked that we be interviewed in Seattle.  How long does a 319b application take.  My understanding is that they are to get special handling.  Is this true?

I don’t think anybody knows how long it’s going to take but I tend to believe it gets handled differently. Good luck!

13 hours ago, Truth_Seeker said:

Mine was filed online in April 2022, and I naturalized last month in Washington DC. Just under 4 months for me. 

10 hours ago, bfs2022 said:

Does anyone have an example of the wording in the letter from the spouse's employment, that they are able to share? Feel free to anonymize. 

Is one letter covering everything ok?

I want to try and do this without a lawyer

What is your situation? If you can provide some more context perhaps some of us here can help. 

51 minutes ago, mrbtx said:

Mine was filed online in April 2022, and I naturalized last month in Washington DC. Just under 4 months for me. 

What is your situation? If you can provide some more context perhaps some of us here can help. 

Thanks mrbtx

My spouse has been posted overseas by her US big brand parent company, to build better relationships and grow business with the multinational and overseas clients of her office. 

As it was COVID, this made a lot of sense as travel was off. They will ask her to stay until end of 2023. She still gets salary from the US but is based in Europe. Her company is happy to document what they asked her to do in a formal letter, but we want to make sure we don't miss anything for the 319(b) eligibility. 

So, today we got in the mail our packet back.  They refused it because they claim I had the wrong fee.  Which I know is wrong.  What they probably saw as that the fee was the normal fee minus the biometric fee.  You know you can't fix stupid.  And stupid is as stupid does.  And of course they shred the evidence of their stupidity.  

With this said, I am thinking about submitting online.  Has anyone else done a 319 Overseas Online with any issues?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.