Qian

Expeditious Naturalization (INA319B)-A Complete Experience Report

182 posts in this topic

Received the following in an email.  

It's a little strange in that I work for the military, but I am not military.  

Anyhow, has anyone else received something like this, and if so does this give an indication on when we might get an interview scheduled?

image.thumb.png.0d691dfe2f6270c795e9f9960b03ccc5.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2022 at 10:05 AM, Truth_Seeker said:

Received the following in an email.  

It's a little strange in that I work for the military, but I am not military.  

Anyhow, has anyone else received something like this, and if so does this give an indication on when we might get an interview scheduled?

image.thumb.png.0d691dfe2f6270c795e9f9960b03ccc5.png

I responded to them and we have an appointment on 12/12/2022.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok.  find this deeply disturbing.

UCIS has decided to cancel our interview for 12 December 2022 creating financial harm on my family since we are flying from Germany to Washington State for this interview.  

Talked to the hotline and supervise.  They state that there is NOTHING they can do.

Filed a complaint with DHS OIG and with our Senator.

Also, sent an email to the person we spoke with about when we could be in the states for the interview.  

Has anyone else experienced this?

12 hours ago, Truth_Seeker said:

Ok.  find this deeply disturbing.

UCIS has decided to cancel our interview for 12 December 2022 creating financial harm on my family since we are flying from Germany to Washington State for this interview.  

Talked to the hotline and supervise.  They state that there is NOTHING they can do.

Filed a complaint with DHS OIG and with our Senator.

Also, sent an email to the person we spoke with about when we could be in the states for the interview.  

Has anyone else experienced this?

Update.  I swear the 800 number is worthless.

Ended up emailing the guy that asked us for scheduling dates originally by emailing him.  He restored our appointment back to the same time.  

I am thinking the 800 number is like the time estimates the USCIS gives out, in that people should not pay them any heed, and should ignore both of them.   I have called the 800 number twice during this whole process and found out that the people manning the number don't seem to have the capability to resolve any issues.  So, if anyone else comes across a similar situation, and an IO emails, try to contact them first if there are any issues.  I am thinking that these cases are handled by the IO's that are going to be actually doing the interview since the IO that we are dealing with said in his last email that he will be seeing my wife on that date.  Which to some degree, that makes sense to me.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

Question for anyone who submitted their application while they were still in the US before departing for their work assignment overseas:

Did you use a US address for both the physical address and the mailing address on the N400 application form?

The note on the checkbox for the 319(b) option on Page #1 of the current N400 form mentions to select a Field Office from the drop-down menu, "If your residential address is outside the United States". I'm curious about that if it actually matters or not.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/18/2019 at 7:47 PM, Qian said:

319B category still seems to be rather unfamiliar by many, even by who are eligible for, especially non-military applicants.

I had been looking for 319B (civilian) info on the internet with very little luck. Few posts I found was from years ago, so I decided to share my experience with up-to-date info, document list, procedure, and even quote of T2 officers' email,  to contribute my part in return of the great support I have got from VisaJourney. As well as for the future 319B applicants’ references.

I was a 6 months conditional LPR when I applied for citizenship, and I became a US citizen in 3.5 months. I applied for both of my Green Card and citizenship from overseas. A few attorneys I had consulted with didn't want to take my case because “I don’t live in the States”. Thanks to USCIS website and Visa Journey, I managed to do it myself without any glitches.

If you are a spouse of a US citizen employed abroad, you might be eligible for the expeditious naturalization under INA319B too.

So, here’s the information and I hope it helps.

My category, 319B is for the spouse of USC employed aboard in qualifying employments.

First, timelines

Married: Jan 07 2017

I-130 NOA1: Apr 19 2017

GC date: Jun 23 2018

N-400 NOA: Dec 24 2018 (Day 1)

Interview scheduled: Mar 5 2019  (Day 71)

Interview scheduled for: Mar 26 2019 (Day 92)

Oath scheduled: Mar 29 2019

Oath: Apr 11 2019  (Day 108)

Second, a few key points when filing:

-      LPR at the time of filing N-400

-      Married more than one year when filingand remain in a bona fide marital reunion with the USC spouse up until the Oath

-      The USC spouse works for an American firm or corporation engaged in whole or in part in the development of foreign trade and commerce of the United States, or a subsidiary thereof (* Note #1)

-      The qualifying employment is scheduled for at least one year at the time of filing 

-      No pending I-751

-      Free to choose the location for interview within the U.S.

-      No requirements in terms of continuous residence and physical presence within the U.S.

-      No need to file I-751 if the Oath happens before the 90 days window of  lifting of conditions (if you have reached 90 days, or have pending i751, you will have to do ROC first)

-      Be present in the U.S. for the interview and oath

-      Depart the U.S. and live with the USC spouse within 45 days after naturalization

-      Do NOT forget TWO photos and TWO sets of fingerprint cards in a sealed envelop

NOTE #1: “engaged in whole or in part in the development of foreign trade and commerce of the United States” is the trickiest part. Translation: Not all US companies’ overseas assignment posts are qualified. The key factor is that whether the nature of the overseas assignment benefits the US or not.

For example, if a US company with thousands employees is manufacturing generators in Asia and sells them to the world, and the revenue goes back to the Asia entity, that might not qualify. Whereas if the US manufacturing company makes high-end audio components in the States, and the employee in Asia is to develop the Asian market, that would qualify. Also, if a US engineer consultancy firm only with 5 employees to provide consultancy services in Asia and send the production work back to the States, it would qualify.

Third, my document list

-      Forms: N400, I551, etc.

-      Supporting documents (general, all photocopies): cover letter (* NOTE #2), Passports (both parties), birth certificates, marriage certificates, divorce decree, police clearance cert

-      Supporting documents(employment): company letter(*NOTE #3), business license, offer of employment(*NOTE #4)

-      Supporting documents(overseas residency): lease, bills, tax returns, local bank accounts, etc.

-      Supporting documents (intention of re-establishment of US residency (*NOTE #5)): property deed, bills, US bank account statements, etc.

NOTE #2 Cover letter contains: why you qualify for 319B and proof, your intention of residing with you USC spouse and proof,  your intention of re-establishing residency in the US after your spouse’s oversea assignment

NOTE #3 Company letter contains: the nature of the company, if the company is wholly or partially owned by the US, the nature of the employee’s employment and overseas assignment, anticipated period of the overseas assignment, a mention of the name of the spouse to be naturalized

NOTE #4 Offer of Employment, focus on the job description (how the employee’s job is benefiting the US economy), the duration of the overseas post (must be over a year from the time of N-400 filing)

NOTE #5 To show your intention of re-establishing your US residency, you need to write up a statement stating so. Ideally accompanied by supporting documents, such as, US saving accounts, property purchase, pension savings, etc.

Forth, the procedure

(This is mine-applying from overseas. Cases may vary)

1.    Submit your application- N400 along with supporting documents

(Read the N400 instructions on USCIS website to determine where to send)

2.    If you send TWO sets of fingerprint cards, you might be OK (depending on countries where you send from)

3.    USCIS might send you a RFE to request FD258 (FBI specified fingerprint cards with an envelop to seal the cards) with instructions on where to send back

4.    Go to a USCIS international field office, or embassy, or a police station where directed by the embassy, to get fingerprints taken. Enclose the cards in an envelop with signature and seal on the flap

5.    Wait…

6.    USCIS would contact you, and ask you to pick a date and time for interview

In my case, I got an email from a Tier 2 officer asking me to indicate a date and time that I’m available for interview (*NOTE#6)

7.    Get on the plane for your interview

8.    They might give you the result after interview or not (depending on if your interviewer has the authority to approve your case)

Mine didn’t get a result after the interview because “you case is uncomment, we need more review”

9.    Three days later, I got a call from USCIS (Dallas) that they have date and time for me 

10.I changed my ticket and attended my Oath Ceremony. The officer was still a little confused at the check-in seeing my conditional Green Card and without a ROC. 

So, I was asked to sit aside while other candidates were seated for the ceremony, when the officer went back to the office to search my case in the computer. But she came back in time and let me in for the ceremony. 

NOTE #6, document check list from the T2 officer 

Once the interview was scheduled, the officer kindly sent me an additional document check list- addition to the general list on the interview letter. See below:

(Luckily, nothing was new than I had already submitted, so I just brought the originals with me. At the interview, the interviewer didn't even go through the documents, simply checked if everything was there, and scanned them (I guess) for the supervisor to review.)

US spouse birth certificate

Marriage certificate

Statement from employer that includes the following:

·         Name and nature of employer

·         Employing entity is owned in whole or in part by the United States

·         Employing entity is engaged in whole or in part in the development of the foreign trade and commerce of the United States

·         Nature of the activity/duties of the US citizen and spouse

·         Anticipated period of employment abroad

Category of Qualifying employment abroad

Last, now you are a citizen but you have to leave the US right away

We booked the tickets back to Singapore for the interview and had to change it for the Oath. 

Our departure date was 2 days after the ceremony, and my tickets were booked under my old passport and name.

So, I made an appointment for passport with the embassy as soon as I got the oath date, and I decided to leave the US using my old passport.

At the airline check-in, they DID ask about my green card, which never happened before when I left the US. I think there must be some sort of remarks on my documents that the airline can see, like “the traveller’ s GC has been cancelled”.  Luckily, they were understanding enough to let me go with my old passport.

I applied my passport in the US embassy in Singapore yesterday.

The officer there was also confused that why I didn’t apply in the US, and how comes I got my citizenship while living in Singapore. But when I explained the 319B category, everything just came together.

So, there you have it, the complete guide/experience of 319B for non-military applicants.

My package has travelled to many places and managed to get to where and whom it needed to go. My biggest conclusion/take-away from this immigration process is that the system is quite established, reasonable, and fair, and if you follow the rules and the instructions, you will get there.

Please, my fellow applicants, have confidence and faith in the process, and be patient. 

If anyone has any questions, I would love to help wherever I can.

Best luck to you all! God bless. 

Thank you for sharing your experience!!

i am in the same situation and I need some help to file under 319b.

Do you have any example of cover letter and employment letter to explain everything clearly to uscis?

thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline
15 hours ago, ros88 said:

Thank you for sharing your experience!!

i am in the same situation and I need some help to file under 319b.

Do you have any example of cover letter and employment letter to explain everything clearly to uscis?

thank you

Hi ros88 

Most likely all the employment cases here are different, so I wouldn’t think any templates help too much.

All you need to address are

-What kind of business

-What kind of role

-Long long is the assignment

And the decision would be on USCIS’s hand if it is an eligible B319 case.

All the best!

Qian

Expeditious Naturalization 319B (Experience Report)

CR1 I-130 NOA1: Apr 17 2017

Naturalization: Apr 11 2019  

US passport in hand: Apr 18 2019 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/19/2019 at 6:47 AM, Qian said:

319B category still seems to be rather unfamiliar by many, even by who are eligible for, especially non-military applicants.

I had been looking for 319B (civilian) info on the internet with very little luck. Few posts I found was from years ago, so I decided to share my experience with up-to-date info, document list, procedure, and even quote of T2 officers' email,  to contribute my part in return of the great support I have got from VisaJourney. As well as for the future 319B applicants’ references.

I was a 6 months conditional LPR when I applied for citizenship, and I became a US citizen in 3.5 months. I applied for both of my Green Card and citizenship from overseas. A few attorneys I had consulted with didn't want to take my case because “I don’t live in the States”. Thanks to USCIS website and Visa Journey, I managed to do it myself without any glitches.

If you are a spouse of a US citizen employed abroad, you might be eligible for the expeditious naturalization under INA319B too.

So, here’s the information and I hope it helps.

My category, 319B is for the spouse of USC employed aboard in qualifying employments.

First, timelines

Married: Jan 07 2017

I-130 NOA1: Apr 19 2017

GC date: Jun 23 2018

N-400 NOA: Dec 24 2018 (Day 1)

Interview scheduled: Mar 5 2019  (Day 71)

Interview scheduled for: Mar 26 2019 (Day 92)

Oath scheduled: Mar 29 2019

Oath: Apr 11 2019  (Day 108)

Second, a few key points when filing:

-      LPR at the time of filing N-400

-      Married more than one year when filingand remain in a bona fide marital reunion with the USC spouse up until the Oath

-      The USC spouse works for an American firm or corporation engaged in whole or in part in the development of foreign trade and commerce of the United States, or a subsidiary thereof (* Note #1)

-      The qualifying employment is scheduled for at least one year at the time of filing 

-      No pending I-751

-      Free to choose the location for interview within the U.S.

-      No requirements in terms of continuous residence and physical presence within the U.S.

-      No need to file I-751 if the Oath happens before the 90 days window of  lifting of conditions (if you have reached 90 days, or have pending i751, you will have to do ROC first)

-      Be present in the U.S. for the interview and oath

-      Depart the U.S. and live with the USC spouse within 45 days after naturalization

-      Do NOT forget TWO photos and TWO sets of fingerprint cards in a sealed envelop

NOTE #1: “engaged in whole or in part in the development of foreign trade and commerce of the United States” is the trickiest part. Translation: Not all US companies’ overseas assignment posts are qualified. The key factor is that whether the nature of the overseas assignment benefits the US or not.

For example, if a US company with thousands employees is manufacturing generators in Asia and sells them to the world, and the revenue goes back to the Asia entity, that might not qualify. Whereas if the US manufacturing company makes high-end audio components in the States, and the employee in Asia is to develop the Asian market, that would qualify. Also, if a US engineer consultancy firm only with 5 employees to provide consultancy services in Asia and send the production work back to the States, it would qualify.

Third, my document list

-      Forms: N400, I551, etc.

-      Supporting documents (general, all photocopies): cover letter (* NOTE #2), Passports (both parties), birth certificates, marriage certificates, divorce decree, police clearance cert

-      Supporting documents(employment): company letter(*NOTE #3), business license, offer of employment(*NOTE #4)

-      Supporting documents(overseas residency): lease, bills, tax returns, local bank accounts, etc.

-      Supporting documents (intention of re-establishment of US residency (*NOTE #5)): property deed, bills, US bank account statements, etc.

NOTE #2 Cover letter contains: why you qualify for 319B and proof, your intention of residing with you USC spouse and proof,  your intention of re-establishing residency in the US after your spouse’s oversea assignment

NOTE #3 Company letter contains: the nature of the company, if the company is wholly or partially owned by the US, the nature of the employee’s employment and overseas assignment, anticipated period of the overseas assignment, a mention of the name of the spouse to be naturalized

NOTE #4 Offer of Employment, focus on the job description (how the employee’s job is benefiting the US economy), the duration of the overseas post (must be over a year from the time of N-400 filing)

NOTE #5 To show your intention of re-establishing your US residency, you need to write up a statement stating so. Ideally accompanied by supporting documents, such as, US saving accounts, property purchase, pension savings, etc.

Forth, the procedure

(This is mine-applying from overseas. Cases may vary)

1.    Submit your application- N400 along with supporting documents

(Read the N400 instructions on USCIS website to determine where to send)

2.    If you send TWO sets of fingerprint cards, you might be OK (depending on countries where you send from)

3.    USCIS might send you a RFE to request FD258 (FBI specified fingerprint cards with an envelop to seal the cards) with instructions on where to send back

4.    Go to a USCIS international field office, or embassy, or a police station where directed by the embassy, to get fingerprints taken. Enclose the cards in an envelop with signature and seal on the flap

5.    Wait…

6.    USCIS would contact you, and ask you to pick a date and time for interview

In my case, I got an email from a Tier 2 officer asking me to indicate a date and time that I’m available for interview (*NOTE#6)

7.    Get on the plane for your interview

8.    They might give you the result after interview or not (depending on if your interviewer has the authority to approve your case)

Mine didn’t get a result after the interview because “you case is uncomment, we need more review”

9.    Three days later, I got a call from USCIS (Dallas) that they have date and time for me 

10.I changed my ticket and attended my Oath Ceremony. The officer was still a little confused at the check-in seeing my conditional Green Card and without a ROC. 

So, I was asked to sit aside while other candidates were seated for the ceremony, when the officer went back to the office to search my case in the computer. But she came back in time and let me in for the ceremony. 

NOTE #6, document check list from the T2 officer 

Once the interview was scheduled, the officer kindly sent me an additional document check list- addition to the general list on the interview letter. See below:

(Luckily, nothing was new than I had already submitted, so I just brought the originals with me. At the interview, the interviewer didn't even go through the documents, simply checked if everything was there, and scanned them (I guess) for the supervisor to review.)

US spouse birth certificate

Marriage certificate

Statement from employer that includes the following:

·         Name and nature of employer

·         Employing entity is owned in whole or in part by the United States

·         Employing entity is engaged in whole or in part in the development of the foreign trade and commerce of the United States

·         Nature of the activity/duties of the US citizen and spouse

·         Anticipated period of employment abroad

Category of Qualifying employment abroad

Last, now you are a citizen but you have to leave the US right away

We booked the tickets back to Singapore for the interview and had to change it for the Oath. 

Our departure date was 2 days after the ceremony, and my tickets were booked under my old passport and name.

So, I made an appointment for passport with the embassy as soon as I got the oath date, and I decided to leave the US using my old passport.

At the airline check-in, they DID ask about my green card, which never happened before when I left the US. I think there must be some sort of remarks on my documents that the airline can see, like “the traveller’ s GC has been cancelled”.  Luckily, they were understanding enough to let me go with my old passport.

I applied my passport in the US embassy in Singapore yesterday.

The officer there was also confused that why I didn’t apply in the US, and how comes I got my citizenship while living in Singapore. But when I explained the 319B category, everything just came together.

So, there you have it, the complete guide/experience of 319B for non-military applicants.

My package has travelled to many places and managed to get to where and whom it needed to go. My biggest conclusion/take-away from this immigration process is that the system is quite established, reasonable, and fair, and if you follow the rules and the instructions, you will get there.

Please, my fellow applicants, have confidence and faith in the process, and be patient. 

If anyone has any questions, I would love to help wherever I can.

Best luck to you all! God bless. 

Dear Qian and others who shared their experiences, 

Thank you for sharing your experience with this little discussed part of the citizenship process.  Your comprehensive information was very helpful in explaining how this procedure works.  I have a few questions before we submit an application for my wife based on 319b.

My wife received her green card in October, and then she wanted to see her family so we went overseas.  We applied for a re-entry permit at the end of November.  Recently I received a job offer overseas for one year with the possibility of extensions.  Since it is only for one year, I believe we basically have to apply at the right moment- just before I start working- since the law says that the US Citizen spouse has to have one year remaining on their contract.

This leaves us with a limited timeframe, so the first question I have is:  how long does it take or how difficult is it to fie the N-400 and relevant attachments?

Second, as I mentioned, we are already overseas.  Can we file the N-400 online or does it have to be sent by mail?  (I am concerned mail is unreliable or delayed).

Regarding the fingerprints, do they have to be sent at the time of filing the N-400, or can they be sent later? Is it possible this requirement will be waived if my wife's biometrics have been taken recently?

Thank you in advance for any information on these questions!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I-130 filed online:  July 8, 2022
I-485, 765 and 131 filed:  July 12, 2022
NOA1/I-797 received:  July 22, 2022
Biometrics appointment scheduled:  July 23, 2022

Biometrics appointment: August 11, 2022

EAD approved:  August 14, 2022

EAD returned to sender (USCIS):  August 31, 2022

EAD re-sent and delivered:  September 23, 2022

Approval of AOS:  October 11, 2022

Permanent Resident Status card received in the mail:  October 18, 2022

I-131 filed for Re-entry permit:  Nov 23, 2022

NOA1/I-797 for Re-entry permit:  Nov. 27, 2022

Submitted N-400 application for naturalization:  April 19, 2023

Naturalization interview:  July 31, 2023

Oath taking ceremony:  August 1, 2023

Timeline
17 hours ago, lovinglive said:

Thank you for sharing your experience with this little discussed part of the citizenship process.  Your comprehensive information was very helpful in explaining how this procedure works.  I have a few questions before we submit an application for my wife based on 319b.

My wife received her green card in October, and then she wanted to see her family so we went overseas.  We applied for a re-entry permit at the end of November.  Recently I received a job offer overseas for one year with the possibility of extensions.  Since it is only for one year, I believe we basically have to apply at the right moment- just before I start working- since the law says that the US Citizen spouse has to have one year remaining on their contract.

This leaves us with a limited timeframe, so the first question I have is:  how long does it take or how difficult is it to fie the N-400 and relevant attachments?

Second, as I mentioned, we are already overseas.  Can we file the N-400 online or does it have to be sent by mail?  (I am concerned mail is unreliable or delayed).

Regarding the fingerprints, do they have to be sent at the time of filing the N-400, or can they be sent later? Is it possible this requirement will be waived if my wife's biometrics have been taken recently?

Hi Lovinglive

It’s very rewarding to hear that our experiences are helping other people!

Regarding your questions, this is what I think. I hope others can offer some ideas too.

1. To file the N400 is pretty straightforward, just basic info and documents. The biggest part I think, it’s the cover letter and the employment contact, that to support your eligibility of 319B. You will need to convince the authorities that your job qualifies the requirements. Probably you could start writing it up already.

2. I do know people applied online from overseas and it went ok

3. You don’t have to include fingerprints at the initial stage, you can send it in later. I am not sure you can be exempted and somehow I feel maybe not, but they will let you know one way or another. If you want to save time, maybe get two sets done and send in all tougher.

Good luck with the application!!!

Qian   

18 hours ago, lovinglive said:

Hi LongLive:

1. I think the problem you may experience with timing is (1) how long it takes for the USCIS office to process your application. Since you can choose the USCIS field office, you should choose wisely. Someone I know applied through New York under similar circumstances as you (had recently come overseas but already had a re-entry permit) had her application accepted and an interview within a few months. However, I applied 1 year and 4 months ago through Newark and still no interview; and (2) the fact that your contract is so short. If there is a high chance your contract will be renewed at the end of the year, then I would mention that and if possible also have your employer mention that in their letter, but add in your letter that you plan to come back to the United States within a certain timeframe (so it is clear that you do not plan to renew your contract and live overseas indefinitely).  

2. Definitely file online. I filed by paper and it didnt help our case in any way. The abovementioned acquaintance applied online and her process was smooth and timely. 

3. Send the money for the fingerprints but don't send any fingerprints. There is a high chance they will just re-use your wife's biometrics, but in our case we sent both the money for the biometrics, and also biometrics taken locally, and then we had a weird thing happen where the online portal said "biometrics appointment scheduled" but then no appointment was ever scheduled. When we called the hotline, the agent said on her end it said that we are "eligible to be scheduled for an interview" and no biometrics appointment is pending. So I think that us sending both caused some kind of confusion and human error on their side. 

Good luck!

On 12/30/2022 at 2:21 PM, Qian said:

Hi Lovinglive

It’s very rewarding to hear that our experiences are helping other people!

Regarding your questions, this is what I think. I hope others can offer some ideas too.

1. To file the N400 is pretty straightforward, just basic info and documents. The biggest part I think, it’s the cover letter and the employment contact, that to support your eligibility of 319B. You will need to convince the authorities that your job qualifies the requirements. Probably you could start writing it up already.

2. I do know people applied online from overseas and it went ok

3. You don’t have to include fingerprints at the initial stage, you can send it in later. I am not sure you can be exempted and somehow I feel maybe not, but they will let you know one way or another. If you want to save time, maybe get two sets done and send in all tougher.

Good luck with the application!!!

Qian   

Thank you Qian, and please excuse the delay in replying as I am adapting to being in a new country and also recovering from New Years!

I hope we can get fingerprints but it's just that it relies on the Embassy being willing to provide the service.

There was also some discussion of a letter stating intention to reside together after the completion of the employment contract.  Since my wife had her green card approved very quickly we did not actually set up that much of her documentation in the US (she actually received a SSN right at the same time as the green card).  However we do have a lot of documentation of our long term relationship that was submitted with I-130.  I wonder if that will suffice?  

Thank you again for your advice and help to others on this process!

On 12/30/2022 at 3:19 PM, MeliCat said:

Hi LongLive:

1. I think the problem you may experience with timing is (1) how long it takes for the USCIS office to process your application. Since you can choose the USCIS field office, you should choose wisely. Someone I know applied through New York under similar circumstances as you (had recently come overseas but already had a re-entry permit) had her application accepted and an interview within a few months. However, I applied 1 year and 4 months ago through Newark and still no interview; and (2) the fact that your contract is so short. If there is a high chance your contract will be renewed at the end of the year, then I would mention that and if possible also have your employer mention that in their letter, but add in your letter that you plan to come back to the United States within a certain timeframe (so it is clear that you do not plan to renew your contract and live overseas indefinitely).  

2. Definitely file online. I filed by paper and it didnt help our case in any way. The abovementioned acquaintance applied online and her process was smooth and timely. 

3. Send the money for the fingerprints but don't send any fingerprints. There is a high chance they will just re-use your wife's biometrics, but in our case we sent both the money for the biometrics, and also biometrics taken locally, and then we had a weird thing happen where the online portal said "biometrics appointment scheduled" but then no appointment was ever scheduled. When we called the hotline, the agent said on her end it said that we are "eligible to be scheduled for an interview" and no biometrics appointment is pending. So I think that us sending both caused some kind of confusion and human error on their side. 

Good luck!

Thank you very much for your reply MeliCat!  It's good to learn from others' experiences.  It would be easiest to apply to the relevant office where we were living in the US, but I also read several posts where it said the Washington DC office is the best for this.  It would seem that is the best choice if they are familiar with this type of application.  Sorry to hear about how long you have been waiting with the Newark office!

Thank you also for your advice about filing online.  That's good to know and it will be much easier and immediate.

That is strange about your case with the fingerprints and the biometrics fee!  Have you heard of any case where USCIS just used the existing biometrics for the N-400?

2 hours ago, lovinglive said:

Thank you very much for your reply MeliCat!  It's good to learn from others' experiences.  It would be easiest to apply to the relevant office where we were living in the US, but I also read several posts where it said the Washington DC office is the best for this.  It would seem that is the best choice if they are familiar with this type of application.  Sorry to hear about how long you have been waiting with the Newark office!

Thank you also for your advice about filing online.  That's good to know and it will be much easier and immediate.

That is strange about your case with the fingerprints and the biometrics fee!  Have you heard of any case where USCIS just used the existing biometrics for the N-400?

HI lovinglive,

Yes, existing biometrics are used even for N-400. Existing biometrics were re-used in the other case I mentioned, and I think in our case too they ended up being re-used, we just werent told that explicitly. 

But in that other case, the biometrics re-use was notified very shortly after they submitted their application online. 

Good luck!!

Timeline

Good to know the re-use of fingerprints is possible.

Either way, the biometrics fee needs to be submitted correctly to avoid delay.

I mailed in the requested fingerprints cards, and my status had also turned to “biometrics scheduled” before it changed to “reviewed”. I believe it’s a system default.

Re your questions below

20 hours ago, lovinglive said:

I hope we can get fingerprints but it's just that it relies on the Embassy being willing to provide the service.

There was also some discussion of a letter stating intention to reside together after the completion of the employment contract.  Since my wife had her green card approved very quickly we did not actually set up that much of her documentation in the US (she actually received a SSN right at the same time as the green card).  However we do have a lot of documentation of our long term relationship that was submitted with I-130.  I wonder if that will suffice?  

If you want to send in fingerprints, the local police stations might be able to help. The embassy in Singapore do not provide the service, so mine was taken at the police station.

The intention of return is simple. The applicant just needs to state the intention in writing. Almost word to word.

All the best.

Qian

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.