ultrasurf

Left the country while EAD/AP in renewal

43 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
2 hours ago, FluffyBalls said:

Go with what the lawyer said over an online anonymous fearmonger.

People in this forum are not anonymous and it isn't fearmongering when they're stating fact. More often than not we see attorneys give incorrect advice. 

The OP abandoned AOS by leaving the country. USCIS can and will deny at the interview. 

OP: never under any circumstances misrepresent yourself at any point during the immigration process. It's best to tell the whole truth than to lie and be found out later(and they will find out). It isn't worth it. Let us know what you decide and what happens at the interview.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

In the original story this post was linked to 

there  was same pattern of doom and gloom, while in reality, if I interpreted it right even though they refiled I-485, it was not needed, as their original one was still "alive" and USCIS officer "resolved" the issue by literally stapling 2 files together. Ultimately all these decisions are left up to the discretion of the USCIS officer all you can do now is let things play out, and be truthful in your answers.

1 hour ago, Cathi said:

People in this forum are not anonymous and it isn't fearmongering when they're stating fact. More often than not we see attorneys give incorrect advice. 

The OP abandoned AOS by leaving the country. USCIS can and will deny at the interview. 

OP: never under any circumstances misrepresent yourself at any point during the immigration process. It's best to tell the whole truth than to lie and be found out later(and they will find out). It isn't worth it. Let us know what you decide and what happens at the interview.

We of course will not misrepresent anything. We plan to give a full list of all our travels (I-94) and a copy of our EAD/AP card.

I'll update everyone with the results after the interview.

Thanks for all your help! I might pay for a consultation with a 2nd lawyer just to double check the point about the AP issue.

3 hours ago, Cathi said:

People are telling him to cancel the interview and I485 because it may cause him to be deported if he applies for citizenship. This is fear mongering. I don't see any downside (neither does the lawyer) to going to the interview, admitting to the USCIS officer that he screwed up and misunderstood the rules, and hoping for a hail Mary.  All while being prepared to refile in the event of a denial.

This is a very rare situation that I'd bet only a handful of people find themselves in. Tons of doom and gloom on this forum if someone doesn't do something exactly "by the book" yet somehow everything usually turns out okay...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Most in this thread suggested the OP attend the interview and see what happens.  From what I read, and I may have misunderstood a post, people suggested he could cancel the i-485 as an alternative to attending the interview only when the OP  himself questioned a couple of times if he should do that instead.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

8 hours ago, Shiran said:

while in reality, if I interpreted it right even though they refiled I-485, it was not needed, as their original one was still "alive" and USCIS officer "resolved" the issue by literally stapling 2 files together.

Seems the OP of that thread conceded that it was better to refile than not:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
15 hours ago, FluffyBalls said:

Go with what the lawyer said over an online anonymous fearmonger.

I saw many -MANY- lawyers up this process... yet to see vj members to do that. This is the least anonymous forum there ever be under our circumstances.

5 hours ago, Naes said:

I saw many -MANY- lawyers up this process... yet to see vj members to do that. This is the least anonymous forum there ever be under our circumstances.

Not sure I understand. What do you mean?

9 hours ago, accumbyte said:

Seems the OP of that thread conceded that it was better to refile than not:

Yea, I plan on attending the interview. Wondering if I should quickly do a 2nd AOS application right now before the interview without cancelling the first one, similar to what @badlo did. Trying to get a 2nd lawyer's opinion on this.

Edited by ultrasurf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
20 hours ago, Loren Y said:

From my understanding they cannot just like one poster said throw you in handcuffs and shove you on a plane.

Unless there is an existing removal order......it has happened.....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
On 3/30/2019 at 10:55 PM, ultrasurf said:

Any tips? Any recommendations for attornies familiar with this? We need help ASAP within 10 days.

Any updated? How did your interview go?

Interview went fine. We mentioned that we had some problem entering due to AP, but CBP paroled us in. The interviewer didn't seem to care about this and essentially shrugged it off, reminding us to not leave the country until green card.

Got pending decision, but after going home and checking online, the status is "New Card Is Being Produced". I assume this means good news?

Thanks to everybody who helped on this thread!

Hopefully it won't become an issue down the line, for example if/when you file for naturalisation. They usually examine your entire record at that point to make sure no errors have been made. 

By law, your application should have been denied. This is not a matter of discretion but a dispassionate reading of the law as it is written. 

If the wrong person looks too closely at the case, it's possible things may go badly. Or maybe no one will ever notice. Who knows?

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
5 hours ago, ultrasurf said:

We mentioned that we had some problem entering due to AP, but CBP paroled us in. The interviewer didn't seem to care about this and essentially shrugged it off, reminding us to not leave the country until green card.

Did the IO understand/did you mention that travel occurred before AP was granted?  

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.