Richard Pacino

Re-entry permit while waiting to sponsor wife (F2A)

11 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hello there,

I will be a green card holder soon. I have been sponsored in F1 category by my mother who is an US citizen. My two brothers are US citizens as well. My father is a green card holder. I will be getting married soon right after I get a green card. I and my future wife are Canadian citizens. I understand when I file sponsorship application in F2A category for her it will take around 2 years and half to get her the green card. I don’t want to be separated from her during that time.

I am wondering if I could use Re-entry Permit in this case. Can I put down as a reason when applying for Re-entry Permit that I want to be with my wife during the process? What are the chances of getting it and what would be the best way to formulate it? I would be working in Canada in the meantime and would be travelling to U.S. frequently.

Additionally, once I am crossing a border should I tell border agent I work in Canada and am waiting for my wife’s papers to go through?

I am definitely moving to the states once she is getting her immigration visa. There is a finite date when we will be moving to the U.S. permanently and this is only a temporary situation.

I will have U.S. address, U.S. bank accounts, U.S. credit card, U.S. driver’s license, file U.S. taxes, strong family ties as my entire close family lives there, U.S. car, U.S. insurance.

Thank you very much for your help.

Richard

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Depends how you will you be showing residency and domicile when you work in Canada?

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

If you have a green card you do not need a re-entry permit. 

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

32 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

If you have a green card you do not need a re-entry permit. 

He does, if he’s planning to spend 2.5 years outside the US. He may even need to renew it.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

You need a Re-Entry Permit if you want your time outside the US not to count against you.

If you claim Canadian residency for ANY REASON, then you are abandoning your green card. 

Provincial health requires residency.  Snowbirds who spend too much time in the US do not qualify.  US green card holders do not qualify.  

If you file Canadian taxes as a resident, then you are claiming a foreign resident in Canada which would be abandoning your green card.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.  You can't have a green card and continue to live your regular life in Canada even with a Re-Entry Permit.

You should really consult a good immigration lawyer.  You are putting yourself at risk with this plan.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Re -entry permits are good for 2 years but they can only be used once. Once you get your green card, you can apply for a re-entry permit. You can then stay out of the country for up to two years without returning. When you return, your re-entry permit is taken from you at that time. They aren't cheap either. About $800 I believe.

We are the poster children for chain migration!

K-1 Visa

10/13/06 - NOA1

01/25/07 - NOA2

02/12/07 - NVC sent petition to Guangzhou consulate

04/27/07 - Packet 3 received

06/17/07 - Packet 4 received

07/05/07 - Interview - Passed!

07/07/07 - Received K-1 visa

03/20/08 - Received 2 year Green Card

02/21/10 - Received 10 Year Green Card

10/18/11 - Sent N-400

03/22/12 - Sworn in as USC

IR-5 for parents

03/23/12 - Sent I-130

03/29/12 - NOA1

06/29/12 - NOA2

07/23/12 - NVC Received

08/10/12 - Received NVC Case No. and IIN

08/21/12 - AOS Fee Bill Received

08/27/12 - AOS Fee Bill Paid

09/04/12 - GZO numbers received

09/04/12 - AOS E-Mailed

09/06/12 - IV Fee Paid

09/06/12 - DS-230 E-Mailed

09/18/12 - Case Complete

11/01/12 - Interview - Passed

11/08/12 - Received IR-5 visa

F2-B for Brother & Sister

08/28/13 - NOA1

12/24/13 - NOA2

01/15/19 - Welcome letter

02/28/19 - Case Complete

06/20/19 - Interview letter

07/17-18/19 - Interview - Passed

07/31/19 - Received F2-B visa

Timeline
24 minutes ago, Mike and Lily said:

Re -entry permits are good for 2 years but they can only be used once. Once you get your green card, you can apply for a re-entry permit. You can then stay out of the country for up to two years without returning. When you return, your re-entry permit is taken from you at that time. They aren't cheap either. About $800 I believe.

Wrong on everything.  Can be used more than once - multiple entries.  Can get another RE after first one expires.  RE is not taken from him upon return.  The cost is $660.  

Timeline

Richard,

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Live in Canada with your wife and transfer to the F3 category, or immigrate to the US and be separated from your wife while you start a new life in the US.

If you don't want to be separated, then don't immigrate to the US.  Marry, transfer to the F3 category.  

You can't have a newly minted GC and then go back to Canada to live your life.  That's not permitted.  

Make your choice wisely.  

Edited by aaron2020

2 hours ago, Mike and Lily said:

Re -entry permits are good for 2 years but they can only be used once. 

What do you mean by “they can only be used once”? You can do multiple entries, and can renew (up to a max 5 years), so what “once” are you referring to?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Multiple posts removed. Personal attacks and thread derailing will not be tolerated. Stick to answering the OP.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.