Kuneesa

CR-1 Interview Experience DCF Mumbai India

63 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Interview Experience at Mumbai Embassy

Check our journey till the interview here

We originally had our interview date for 8th April. But after checking on the ustraveldocs religiously, we were able to get an interview date for 25th March at Consulate General Mumbai. We completed our medical at Max Delhi on 9th March and biometrics at OFC center of VFS Global at Shivaji Stadium Metro Station in Delhi. 

Before leaving for Mumbai we got the DD made for the visa fees which was $325 converted into INR 24050 (according to ustraveldocs valid exchange rate) payable at Mumbai and drawn in favor of "US Consulate General, Mumbai". This is applicable if you are filing DCF and have skipped the NVC stage and have not paid the fee online. 

We arrived in Mumbai on the 24th. There are a couple of good hotel options for people coming from other cities that are very nearby to the consulate. We chose the Trident Hotel, as it is the closest one and you can walk 2 minutes and reach the consulate. The consulate does not allow any kind of phones or electronics inside. Even a smart or digital watch. So leave everything at your hotel room or with someone. They don't even allow the Xray CD you will get after your medical, so no need to bring that. 

Our appointment was at 7:15 AM. We reached outside the consulate at 6:45 am and there were already a lot of people there on the opposite side of the road from the consulate. Once the clock hit 7, the guards from the other side of the road ushered people to form a line along the consulate wall on the sidewalk according to the interview time slot (I believe 7:15 was the first slot). There were around 50-75 people in that slot and we all slowly walked in the consulate after showing our appointment letter, DS260 confirmation page and the passport. My wife, who is a US citizen and petitioner, was also allowed inside with me. She showed her US passport for verification. 

Once inside, we went through a security check like you do at an airport. Then we were told to go inside the actual consulate building where the counters are and where all the interviews take place. There were around 20 counters and sufficient seating for people to wait. We were given a token (no. 24) and told to wait until our token number flashes up on the screen and tells us which counter to go to. 

The people working inside were very helpful and helped in arranging the documents one needs to submit. They told us to put our initial documents in order (Passport, Visa fee DD, DS 260 confirmation, Birth Certificate original & copy, Marriage certificate original & copy, PCC original, Medical report & all of the i-864 forms and transcripts). Our number was called at window 4 and an Indian officer greeted us (my wife and I both went to the window) and asked for our documents. He asked me if my wife is the petitioner and I said yes. He then got our file from the inside (which had our whole I-130 bundle that we submitted at USCIS Delhi) and added the documents we gave him to that file. He only asked us how long has my wife been living in India and nothing else. He then directed me to counter number 21 with my DD and told me to go pay the fees and bring the receipt back to him. Once that was done, he handed me the domestic violence pamphlet and directed us to sit down and wait until the CO calls us for an interview. 

After waiting for around 15-20 minutes, our token number flashed again on the screen and we went to the counter. An American CO greeted us and told us that he is our officer today and will be conducting the visa interview. He then asked my wife if she is the petitioner. She said yes, and he directed her to go sit down and wait and said that he would call for her if needed. Then he asked me to raise my right hand and take the oath that everything I say today is true and all the information I have presented is the truth. Then my interview begun and these were the questions:

1 ) Who is calling you?
2 ) What is her name?
3 ) What does she do?
4 ) What are her future plans in the US?
5 ) How did you two meet?
6 ) When did you start dating?
7 ) Who proposed and when was that?
8 ) When was your wedding?
9 ) Did her parents attend the wedding?
10 ) Did your parents attend the wedding? 
11 ) Who are your joint sponsors?
12 ) Where do they live in the US?

13 ) What do they do?

14 ) Do you intend to live at their address once you get to the US? 

15 ) Have you been to the US before and for how long?

16 ) Have you ever stayed in the US for more than 6 months?

17 ) What was your purpose of visiting the US when you went there previously?
18 ) What is your date of birth? 

Then he said that everything looks good but he still wanted to know more about what my wife's plans are once we move to the US. I asked him if he wanted to see the proof of her domicile, but he said no I just want to know the plans. As she was working for 4 years in India and had quit her job to move back to the states, I believe he was trying to see if she has applied for jobs there or had plans to work once back in the US. So I asked the CO if he wanted me to call her and he said yes. So I called my wife to the window and she explained what our future plans were. Once he was satisfied with the answers, he told us that he is approving our visa and gave us the documents explaining how long it will take to get our passport back with the visa, what a conditional resident status means and how to pay the immigrant/green card fee before entering the US. We thanked him and asked him if it was possible for us to get our passport with the visa the same day, but he said that it would not be possible. We thanked him again and wished him a good day and we walked out of the consulate. Overall it was a pleasant experience and if you have all your documents in order and your relationship is genuine, you don't have to worry about anything :)

In total, it took us 74 DAYS from filing our I-130 to getting our visa. 

A big thanks to visajourney and all the good people here who replied to our questions and helped us along the way. We intend to continue being active here and help others as much as we can with our experience! 

IMG_2313.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline
1 hour ago, looneytunes88 said:

Hey Congratulations but Maybe you shouldn't share this document publicly. 

there isn't any sensitive/private information from the docs.

Edited by ourjourney_pc

(L)Our Timeline(L)

2015 Nov 03 - met online app (Skout)

2016 Jan 18 - became couple officially

2017 Sep 15 - met for the first time in person (Singapore to USA - 2 weeks)

2018 Feb 03 - met for the 2nd time (USA to Singapore - 2 weeks)

2018 Feb 08 - got engaged 

2018 Sep 01 - met for the 3rd time (Singapore to USA - 2 weeks)

2019 May 31 - 4th meeting :goofy:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

K1 Visa Timeline:

2018 Aug 22 - I129f sent (DIY)

2018 Aug 29 - NOA1

worries before approval:

1) submitted 1 statement/letter of intent both signed by the pet/ben

2) petitioner's accidentally/stupidly committed DWI after i129f submission

2019 Jan 16 - NOA2 (140 days from Noa1 - No RFE)

2019 Feb 06 - case received by NVC (21 days from Noa2)

2019 Feb 08 - case number received

2019 Feb 19 - left NVC

2019 Feb 25 - case received by SG consulate

2019 Feb 28 - Packet 3 received

2019 Mar 04 - Packet 3 sent back to SG consulate

2019 Mar 07 - Packet 4 received (interview schedule)

2019 Mar 12 - Medical (additional vaccine on 19 Mar)

2019 Mar 27 - Interview (221g, medical results pending)

2019 Mar 27 - Administrative Processing

2019 Mar 27 - Clinic sent medical results to Embassy

2019 Mar 28 - Administrative Processing

2019 Mar 29 - Application Received

2019 Apr 01 - Issued

2019 Apr 04 - VOH

5 hours ago, looneytunes88 said:

Hey Congratulations but Maybe you shouldn't share this document publicly. 

It's a public document handed out to all approved applicants and does not have any personal information. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Timeline
21 hours ago, ShreebhagyaK9 said:

Congratulations guys! So happy for you both. Wishing you a future full of love and happiness!🙂

Thank you! :)

Timeline
1 hour ago, kkodi721 said:

Congratulations! One question I had was I've been hearing that they are planning to shut off the New Delhi USCIS Unit soon - is that true? Did you hear anything on those lines while processing for your spouse's US VISA?

Thanks! 

No there is no official word out yet about the closing of international USCIS offices. But to be better safe than sorry, if you're planning on applying for DCF, you should do it sooner rather than later. Goodluck! 

• 1 month later...

Coming to showing proof of domicile and I haven't worked in the US - what should I do?

I did my Bachelors and Masters in India and doing my first job here and my father is currently in the US and would be the joint sponsor.

We planned to move to the US and look for jobs once the visa is approved and stay with my dad until then. Could we show proofs of my dad's residence there or is that even needed?

You mentioned that the interviewer didn't need any proof of domicile - is that normal or you were just lucky?

Edited by kkodi721

Hey Kuneesa, congrats on your approval, exciting news! Your information regarding the I-130 information was really helpful to us when we filed in Delhi, so appreciate the information. Our I-130 was approved recently and we received an email from the consulate in Mumbai about the next steps. We have started the work on getting the PCC and scheduled a medical exam and have finished the DS-260. One thing I can't figure out and the US travel docs wasn't very helpful when I called, is where do we submit the I-864 as well as my wife's, the applicant's, birth certificate and marriage certificate. Normally the process would be to send these documents to the NVC but the information in the email didn't specify this step and I figured it might be different since this is DCF process. Did you submit the applicant's civil documents (birth certificate etc) and the I-864 prior to the interview or was the first submission at the interview itself? Finally don't know if you have any insight but I am using a joint sponsor for affidavit of support, my father who is in the US. Can I submit a scanned copy of his signed form or do I need him to mail me the original to bring along to the interview? If you could clarify the supporting documentation submission, that would be really helpful. Thanks!

Timeline
On 5/6/2019 at 5:52 AM, kkodi721 said:

Coming to showing proof of domicile and I haven't worked in the US - what should I do?

I did my Bachelors and Masters in India and doing my first job here and my father is currently in the US and would be the joint sponsor.

We planned to move to the US and look for jobs once the visa is approved and stay with my dad until then. Could we show proofs of my dad's residence there or is that even needed?

You mentioned that the interviewer didn't need any proof of domicile - is that normal or you were just lucky?

The US petitioner has to prove their domicile OR has to prove that you intend in good faith to reestablish your domicile in the United States no later than the date of the intending immigrant’s admission or adjustment of status.

Read the instructions on page 5&6 for filing I-864 and that will tell you what you need for proving your domicile
. (https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-864instr.pdf)

Ideally, the US petitioner should at least have their most recent 3-year tax transcripts (required regardless for filling I-864), A voting record in the United States, records of paying U.S. taxes, having property in the United States, maintaining bank or investment accounts in the United States, having a permanent mailing address in the United States, other proof such as evidence that the sponsor is a student studying abroad or that a foreign government has authorized a temporary stay, having maintained a vehicle/insurance in the United States while residing outside etc. If you don't have any of these, you can go before your husband and try to get a lease/drivers license, etc in your name. You can open a bank account or credit card account in your name online pretty easily too (you just need a valid SSN). The burden of proof will be on you to prove your domicile. We were lucky that the interviewing officer did not ask us for any of the documents but he did call my wife (US petitioner) to the window and wanted to know if she has applied for or actively seeking jobs in the US and what were her future plans once we go there. They do not want you to enter the United States with a new immigrant and start collecting unemployment or any other government benefits. This is also the reason why a majority of DCF filers have to get a joint sponsor because they want someone other than the government to be financially responsible for the intending immigrant. 

Timeline
9 hours ago, Madhav said:

Hey Kuneesa, congrats on your approval, exciting news! Your information regarding the I-130 information was really helpful to us when we filed in Delhi, so appreciate the information. Our I-130 was approved recently and we received an email from the consulate in Mumbai about the next steps. We have started the work on getting the PCC and scheduled a medical exam and have finished the DS-260. One thing I can't figure out and the US travel docs wasn't very helpful when I called, is where do we submit the I-864 as well as my wife's, the applicant's, birth certificate and marriage certificate. Normally the process would be to send these documents to the NVC but the information in the email didn't specify this step and I figured it might be different since this is DCF process. Did you submit the applicant's civil documents (birth certificate etc) and the I-864 prior to the interview or was the first submission at the interview itself? Finally don't know if you have any insight but I am using a joint sponsor for affidavit of support, my father who is in the US. Can I submit a scanned copy of his signed form or do I need him to mail me the original to bring along to the interview? If you could clarify the supporting documentation submission, that would be really helpful. Thanks!

Hey, congratulations on the approval! 

You have to take all the documents with you when you go for the interview. That means everything including the medical report (NO CDs allowed btw, so don't take that), PCC, birth certificate, marriage certificate, I-864/I-864A, 3-year tax transcrips, tax return forms and everything else.  We even took the stuff (including the photographs) that we already submitted during I-130 filing. You are filing DCF so you will be skipping the whole NVC stage. You will also have to take a DD for $325 (converted to INR according to the applicable rate from ustraveldocs for your interview date) payable to "U.S. Consulate General, Mumbai" payable at Mumbai. 

You can download the whole packet 4 from here and go through it to get a better idea (https://photos.state.gov/libraries/mumbai/1057584/senkx/BMB IV Packet 4 Oct 2015.pdf

For I-864 I believe the scanned signature would be sufficient BUT don't hold me on that. Just to be on the safe side, we got our joint sponsor to sign and send the signature page of I-864/I-864A through FedEx 2 day shipping and we filled out everything else in India. We just did not want to take any chances :) 

Do let me know if this answers your questions. If you need help with anything else, I'm here! 
Good luck with your interview! 

On 5/7/2019 at 11:09 PM, Kuneesa said:

Hey, congratulations on the approval! 

You have to take all the documents with you when you go for the interview. That means everything including the medical report (NO CDs allowed btw, so don't take that), PCC, birth certificate, marriage certificate, I-864/I-864A, 3-year tax transcrips, tax return forms and everything else.  We even took the stuff (including the photographs) that we already submitted during I-130 filing. You are filing DCF so you will be skipping the whole NVC stage. You will also have to take a DD for $325 (converted to INR according to the applicable rate from ustraveldocs for your interview date) payable to "U.S. Consulate General, Mumbai" payable at Mumbai. 

You can download the whole packet 4 from here and go through it to get a better idea (https://photos.state.gov/libraries/mumbai/1057584/senkx/BMB IV Packet 4 Oct 2015.pdf

For I-864 I believe the scanned signature would be sufficient BUT don't hold me on that. Just to be on the safe side, we got our joint sponsor to sign and send the signature page of I-864/I-864A through FedEx 2 day shipping and we filled out everything else in India. We just did not want to take any chances :) 

Do let me know if this answers your questions. If you need help with anything else, I'm here! 
Good luck with your interview! 

Thanks for the information! We went ahead filled out the DS-260 and obtained all the docs necessary, medical reports, pcc, birth certificate etc. Regarding the I-864a, like you said I'll just have my dad mail it to me so we have the original for the interview. Finished up the VAC process today as well so now just the interview to attend. The only option we had when we signed onto US Travel Docs was July 1st and after finishing the VAC today I logged on to see if there were any other earlier dates. I know you said you managed to snag an earlier appointment but I don't see an option at all to reschedule my appointment. Do I have to do that before I attend any appointments or is it that I am just looking at the wrong place on the website? Any suggestions would be great. 

Timeline
7 hours ago, Madhav said:

Thanks for the information! We went ahead filled out the DS-260 and obtained all the docs necessary, medical reports, pcc, birth certificate etc. Regarding the I-864a, like you said I'll just have my dad mail it to me so we have the original for the interview. Finished up the VAC process today as well so now just the interview to attend. The only option we had when we signed onto US Travel Docs was July 1st and after finishing the VAC today I logged on to see if there were any other earlier dates. I know you said you managed to snag an earlier appointment but I don't see an option at all to reschedule my appointment. Do I have to do that before I attend any appointments or is it that I am just looking at the wrong place on the website? Any suggestions would be great. 

When you log in to ustraveldocs, do you see an option to reschedule appointment on the left-hand side? If not, I suggest trying logging in between 11PM to 2 AM. That's when I had the most luck. I kept looking every hour or so for a week and finally, I checked super late in the night and there were earlier appointments available. Hope this will help you! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.