Tara & Rohit

Undocumented Immigrants Getting Drivers Licenses

52 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
5 minutes ago, WeGuyGal said:

Look at it this way.. the ones those undocumented ones get are a single purpose one, and no additional benefit.. your fiance should eventually be eligible for Real ID compliant one. Someone once asked me why CR1 applicants married to USCs have to wait a year or so, while H1b spouses could travel to the US soon after a wedding.. I responded with the shpeal about CR1s get a green card, so have to wait for background checks etc, while H4s dont have such long term benefits. 

So what is your response to people using the I 601A?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

So what is your response to people using the I 601A?

needs to be very very carefully and rarely applied.  I'm generally anti waivers.

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Timeline
1 minute ago, WeGuyGal said:

needs to be very very carefully and rarely applied.  I'm generally anti waivers.

Somebody with no ban doing an Ir1 takes say 15 months, an illegal using an I 601A takes say 2 weeks?

Both get a Green Card

What do you say to somebody point this out?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
11 hours ago, Visitor User said:

There were talks of Texas DL for the undocumented. Any news?

Did Texas ever gave Driver License and/or State ID to the undocumented?

That would be nice, but I haven't yet heard anything about this. Considering who is sitting in the Governor's mansion and who controls the Texas house and senate, and their belief that undocumented people vote in elections despite having no evidence to support that belief, I highly doubt that would happen in Texas any time soon.

c9 AOS Concurrently filed I-130 & I-130A, I-485, I-131, I-765

2019-02-21 Package sent to Chicago Lockbox via FedEx

2019-03-09 Notice received via USPS

2019-03-15 Biometrics Appointment Notice received

2019-03-26 Attended Biometrics Appointment

2019-04-01 Case is ready to to be scheduled for an interview

2019-04-22 Interview Notice received via USPS

2019-05-20 Interview: Approved after 82 days.

2019-05-21 Card in production

2019-05-22 Card was mailed to you (no tracking)

2019-05-29 Green Card in hand.

I-751 Removal of Conditions

2021-03-23 Package Sent via FedEx

2021-04-01 Package Received Texas Service Center

2021-04-21 I-797C Notice Date

2021-04-26 Notice Received via USPS

2021-05-04 Biometrics were reused

2021-11-16 New card is being produced

7 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Somebody with no ban doing an Ir1 takes say 15 months, an illegal using an I 601A takes say 2 weeks?

Both get a Green Card

What do you say to somebody point this out?

IR1 is diy, ban is not. Me dunno anyone who've gone the i601a route. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Timeline

I 601A ia not difficult, many diy.

4 hours ago, Tara & Rohit said:

I can understand the stigma part for sure. I just find it ironic that illegals can go and get a drivers license, yet our legal status fiances have to wait 5-6 months for theirs. 

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with this possible change for Florida and other states... I would just think we would want our legal residents to have more privileges. 

It's rewarding bad behavior."You came here illegally, so here's your license! You came here legally... enjoy waiting around."

And I’m saying they don’t have to wait, they can also get them. If an undocumented migrant won’t have to show papers then neither will a K visa waiting on them. The difference being that the Ks etc can get new real ID licenses when all their paperwork is in order. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

17 hours ago, Loren Y said:

Will not work, Just tried this 2 days ago with my wife's ID card. Since she is here legally, they won't do anything for her. Have to wait for the EAD card to do much of anything, I was pretty livid at the DMV as that place can really test your patience, I said your handing out $%^#*( Driving Licenses to every illegal that walks thru your ^%$#@*( door, but you won't give my legal wife a State ID. I left before the 90 year old security guard got up from his chair to try and do something, what I don't know, but yes, it's a load of &^#@!

I mean, she still has her Real ID compliant ID card, even though it expires in a few days, it's been working for now. Just don't want her carrying around her passport all the time.

OMG, you are brave!  You used the "illegal" word.  You might be banned forever by one of the over veracious moderators. I think we have to refer to them as "immigrants". Of course I'm being sarcastic.  Remember when they were called "Illegal Aliens"?  This political correctness has gone way overboard. hahaha

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
4 hours ago, junkmart said:

That would be nice, but I haven't yet heard anything about this. Considering who is sitting in the Governor's mansion and who controls the Texas house and senate, and their belief that undocumented people vote in elections despite having no evidence to support that belief, I highly doubt that would happen in Texas any time soon.

DACA holder can get it though right?

Edited by Visitor User

• 4 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 3/22/2019 at 9:33 AM, WeGuyGal said:

Look at it this way.. the ones those undocumented ones get are a single purpose one, and no additional benefit.. your fiance should eventually be eligible for Real ID compliant one. Someone once asked me why CR1 applicants married to USCs have to wait a year or so, while H1b spouses could travel to the US soon after a wedding.. I responded with the shpeal about CR1s get a green card, so have to wait for background checks etc, while H4s dont have such long term benefits. 

I went for 2 years without my my drivers license because of a moron at a Social Security office. I applied for my social security card as soon as I was allowed, based on my K1 VISA. The guy initially told me that I did not qualify for a card. I gave him all the paperwork and USCIS pages supporting the FACT that I do qualify. He then told me he had trouble "putting in" my number from my passport. I told him that he had to put in a specific number and not the one on my Canadian passport as that was only for Canada!  He argued with me. He then called a supervisor who told him he had to use the number I had told him to use. She walked away and he then gave me my letter stating I applied. That was in October of 2015. In January I had heard nothing and so called that office. Three different people put me on hold and then the last one told me that I needed to call back in another month. When I did, someone said I would be getting a letter in the mail. I did and was declined because "Homeland Security could find no record of you in their system". WHAT? I had just had my bio metrics done, so obviously they knew who I was. Went to that office. So, idiot had inputted inaccurate #. Was told I could not reapply, even with their error. So I had to wait until I had my green card in hand . That was in 2017! I just applied for conditions removed. My PA license was going to expire same day as my green card. Went today to reapply. Unlike what Penn dot said online, I received a new license, good for 18 months (same as is stated on I-797) However, at the end, the woman said: "Now you are an illegal." I thought she was just being a smart ### until I got outside and saw that this license was exactly the same as my last PA license, except for a line on it that says "Cannot be used for legal ID". Why should those of us who follow the letter of the law regarding immigration and pay thousands of dollars, jump through hoops, pay taxes, and get NOTHING extra, be treated the same way as someone who thinks they have a right to bypass the laws. Makes me so angry!

My understanding is that the point of giving undocumented immigrants drivers licences is to enable them to get insurance, which is better for everyone on the road. Completely different from the legal ID that everyone else gets. @camerica, I don’t know what the PA rules are, but why were you unable to get a real ID compliant DL? Here in CA we need to show green card, SS card and 2 proofs of address to get real ID, otherwise a DL that is not valid for federal ID is issued. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

My understanding is that the point of giving undocumented immigrants drivers licences is to enable them to get insurance, which is better for everyone on the road. Completely different from the legal ID that everyone else gets. @camerica, I don’t know what the PA rules are, but why were you unable to get a real ID compliant DL? Here in CA we need to show green card, SS card and 2 proofs of address to get real ID, otherwise a DL that is not valid for federal ID is issued. 

I understand the reasons. But I do believe that there needs to be another category for LEGAL aliens. And you know what? We had an "illegal" (illegal is someone who breaks a law-they did) "immigrant" hit 4 cars here in our town, including my husbands parked truck. She had NO insurance. Guess what? There was no money for 4 of the cars, including the replacing of the my hubands trucks entire back panel. Hmm. And no, I cannot get a real ID at this point because my green card is set to expire in less than a month, and now my license cannot be used for ID. Because I have been issued the same license what ILLEGAL folks get.

Timeline
59 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

If that was the real reason and assuming there were regulations that prevented illegals buying Insurance, were there?, it would be much simpler to change those.

DL in the US is also an identity car.

Timeline
56 minutes ago, camerica said:

I understand the reasons. But I do believe that there needs to be another category for LEGAL aliens. And you know what? We had an "illegal" (illegal is someone who breaks a law-they did) "immigrant" hit 4 cars here in our town, including my husbands parked truck. She had NO insurance. Guess what? There was no money for 4 of the cars, including the replacing of the my hubands trucks entire back panel. Hmm. And no, I cannot get a real ID at this point because my green card is set to expire in less than a month, and now my license cannot be used for ID. Because I have been issued the same license what ILLEGAL folks get.

There was a case in Colorado a few days ago, a Migrant Activist riding his motorbike was killed by an illegal driving a truck in the wrong lane, no insurance etc and a very long wrap sheet. This guy had featured on CNN in his fight against deportation.

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Boiler said:

There was a case in Colorado a few days ago, a Migrant Activist riding his motorbike was killed by an illegal driving a truck in the wrong lane, no insurance etc and a very long wrap sheet. This guy had featured on CNN in his fight against deportation.

22 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.