Silver12

After moving to the states what if I feel it’s not quite for me How soon can I sponsor my husband to UK?

13 posts in this topic

Hi peeps,

I am moving to the states in a few weeks but I am just thinking in case if I don’t like it there, how soon can I sponsor my husband to move with me to UK, and what is the process like? (I am a British citizen)

I am moving to the states in a few weeks but I am just thinking in case if I don’t like it there, how soon can I sponsor my husband to move with me to UK, and what is the process like? (I am a British citizen)

I know you should be earning and have 6months pay slips which I have would that be sufficient ? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

**Moved from Moving to the US and Your New Life In America to Emigrating Outside the US; OP is wondering about the process to bring their husband to the UK**

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

36 minutes ago, Silver12 said:

I am moving to the states in a few weeks but I am just thinking in case if I don’t like it there, how soon can I sponsor my husband to move with me to UK, and what is the process like? (I am a British citizen)

I know you should be earning and have 6months pay slips which I have would that be sufficient ? 

There’s information on gov.uk all about it and British immigration forums. Check there. 

K-1 VISA

I129F Sent: 08/23/2017

NOA 1: 08/25/2017

NOA 2: 02/27/2018

NVC Received: 03/14/2018

NVC Case #: 03/15/2018

NVC Left: 03/24/2018

Embassy Received: 03/28/2018

Medical: 05/08/2018

Interview: 05/15/2018 

Visa issued: 05/18/2018

Visa received: 05/23/2018 

AOS

POE: 06/07/2018

SSN applied: 06/12/2018

SSN received: 06/28/2018

AOS Sent: 07/27/2018

Biometrics: 08/23/2018

Interview: 10/30/2018

Approval: 10/30/2018 

NOA2: 11/05/2018

Green card Received: 11/08/2018

NO MORE USCIS UNTIL ROC!!!!!😁

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I guess this is the wrong website to ask. But I agree with the poster above me. Go to the british government website.

Besides, what of your husband doesn’t want to live in the UK and can’t adjust?

germangirlintheusa.blogspot.com

~~~ mrandmrsBRS Visa journey ~~~

Service Center: Vermont

Embassy: Frankfurt/Germany

Marriage: 2014-12-30

I-130 sent: 2015-1-5

I-130 Noa 1: 2015-1-12

I-130 approved: 2015-6-10

Your I-130 was approved in 149 days from your NOA 1 date.

NVC: 2015-7-8

AOS bill: 2015-8-4

AOS P.: 2015-9-22 (e-mail, PDF)

IV bill: 2015-9-15

IV P.: 2015-9-22 (e-mail, PDF)

Case Complete: 2015-10-12 (2015-12-07)

Supervisor Review 2015-11-02Called NVC 2015-12-07 (no longer under supervisor review, waiting for an Interview Date)

Medical: 2016-1-7

Interview Frankfurt: 2016-1-19 (called NVC 2015-12-14) APPROVED :dancing: :wub:

POE: 2016-2-9 ATL (Atlanta)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I'd give it a good period of time to adjust before making a decision. I came here on a K1 7 months ago and at times I have wanted to go back home. What has helped me to cope has been giving myself a plan B so that on days that I struggle the future doesn't seem so terrifying. At my worse times I only allow myself to think only a few months ahead and then I tell myself I will review it and take stock when it's the first anniversary of moving here. Otherwise the thought of endlessly feeling homesick and alien is overwhelming. If I'd only tried it for 6 months I would have definitely packed it all in last month. The first few months are euphoric after waiting to be together, then that wears off and reality bites.

What type of visa are you coming to the US with? If it is a spouse visa, and you can drive straight away or work, it will really help you cope better than having to go through the AOS process. If you are half-hearted about emigrating it will be more difficult to make it a success. I'd give it your best shot before making a decision. You will feel homesick and culture shock at times and it's best to accept it rather thinking the solution is to go back to what you're familiar with. Also, I can't imagine putting my relationship through 2 immigration journeys in a short period of time. It takes its toll even if things run smoothly. 

Have you researched if it will make travel back to the States more difficult in the future if you move back to the UK within a time period after emigrating? Abandoning certain visas will limit your options in the future. It's another thing to consider before you commit to moving.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Sure you can always move to the UK together after immigrating to the US and getting your green card, if you qualify based on UK law.  It's another process like that in the US, hopefully a bit faster, but there could be months apart again.  And also keep in mind that if you leave the US soon after arrival, your green card will no longer be valid if you don't stay in the US, and future visits to the US could be questioned at POE.  If you stay in the US for three years you can apply for citizenship (takes a year) so after four years you could have dual citizenship and then live in the US or UK as you wish.  Have you talked with your spouse about this?  Why go through this long process, spend all the money, move to the US to be together for a time, and then start another similar process again and be apart while waiting for his UK visa?  Sounds like it's time for a heart-to-heart talk with your spouse.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
6 hours ago, Silver12 said:

Hi peeps,

I am moving to the states in a few weeks but I am just thinking in case if I don’t like it there, how soon can I sponsor my husband to move with me to UK, and what is the process like? (I am a British citizen)

You will have to return to the UK and hold a job there at least 6 months earning £18,600 before you can apply for bringing your husband. There are no joint sponsors allowed so you must have a job. 

It's going to take time to feel at home in the US. Doubting the move already isn't a good indication that you'll give it a fair shot. You can apply for US citizenship after three years then can move back and forth at will with no immigration applications for you. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You can move back and get the process started as soon as you want to. There is no waiting period.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

46 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

You will have to return to the UK and hold a job there at least 6 months earning £18,600 before you can apply for bringing your husband. There are no joint sponsors allowed so you must have a job. 

It's going to take time to feel at home in the US. Doubting the move already isn't a good indication that you'll give it a fair shot. You can apply for US citizenship after three years then can move back and forth at will with no immigration applications for you. 

I have been there before just for a vacation  and I must say I really liked it! And yes I guess it will take time but I am really looking forward to my move 😊 especially to be together with my husband is the such a great feeling. 

Thanks for all the advise! 

10 hours ago, Silver12 said:

Hi peeps,

OP, there should be a link in my signature that might be helpful in answering the rules when it comes to returning to the UK and bringing a spouse. However, there is something I'd like you to seriously think about first.

Green cards are for living in the US. Returning home, essentially abandons the process you have started.. and rendered it for nothing. I'd always advise US/UK couples (especially because the UK rules can be a difficult wrangle for some to manage) that they decide where they want to live first, before jumping in with both feet. If it's the US, then you need to commit to being there for the long haul, and certainly completing citizenship first before making a decision to return back to the UK on a perma basis. Having citizenship in the US means you can travel back and forth between both countries freely, and that opens up a lot of options for you. You do not lose your UK citizenship either. Because US citizens are non-EEAs, there is no free movement (and if Brexit goes through this may become even more problematic in the future). The process becomes complicated to bring a US spouse. The UK citizen must return and establish residency and be making the required amount of money in the required sort of job before their spouse can even join. And that's if your application is accepted. Once accepted, it then becomes an extremely lengthy multi-years worth of process to have that spouse continue to remain with you - at which time you need to still be maintaining that financial level. There are no joint sponsors. There are healthcare surcharges and various other costs. Still, for those that have no financial constraints this may not be problematic.

Homesickness of course is a thing, and there will be a big adjustment period for you. But you can always return home to visit. My husband has been here many years now, and though he misses home dearly, there is much he enjoys about the US. It's given him many opportunities and new friendships. Stay busy, make friends, see as much as you can. Remember things will always be different than it was.. and that's okay, because you've got each other finally to start making a life out of something new.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

• 4 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.