ManOnMoon

Canceling K1 Visa and Getting CR1

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

My finance and I want to cancel her K1 visa, she has handed in her passport already but not yet picked it up.

What are the steps to cancel K1 visa, and when can I file for CR1? We're thinking of getting married in taiwan end of March. 

Also would having a prior K1 visa affect her CR1 application status? 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
1 minute ago, ManOnMoon said:

My finance and I want to cancel her K1 visa, she has handed in her passport already but not yet picked it up.

What are the steps to cancel K1 visa, and when can I file for CR1? We're thinking of getting married in taiwan end of March. 

Email the embassy and USCIS that you want to withdraw the petition, even when they issue the visa. If they issued it already, she can just not use the visa and file for CR1, but make sure you withdrew K1 before you do that.

It doesn't affect CR1. Expect to get questions at the interview why she didn't use K1.

3 minutes ago, ManOnMoon said:

Dude.  You're seriously starting your THIRD post on this?!

4 minutes ago, ManOnMoon said:

Any reason in particular you want to cancel!?  Maybe you can inquire about a specific situation and others can help you? It seems so sad to re start this grueling and long process when you have a visa in hand! Best of luck. 

Just now, KJ2 said:

Any reason in particular you want to cancel!?  Maybe you can inquire about a specific situation and others can help you? It seems so sad to re start this grueling and long process when you have a visa in hand! Best of luck. 

There is a very long post all about his situation (two threads merged).  I'm not sure why he has started a third one.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Might as well let them issue the visa come over get an SSN get married and add her to your accounts and things. Then she can go back and you can file cr-1. That is if you have the means.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
1 minute ago, ThomasNC1988 said:

Might as well let them issue the visa come over get an SSN get married and add her to your accounts and things. Then she can go back and you can file cr-1. That is if you have the means.

She has SSN already from college, can you work with an SSN?

3 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

There is a very long post all about his situation (two threads merged).  I'm not sure why he has started a third one.

Oh ok I didn’t see that!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
Just now, ManOnMoon said:

No. Need EAD. She can still come and get married here if you like, no law that says you can't to my knowledge.

Just now, ManOnMoon said:

For the last time, NO. An EAD or a green card are the ONLY documents that actually authorizes an immigrant to work in the US. This has been explained multiple times in your other thread.

1 minute ago, ManOnMoon said:

NO.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
15 minutes ago, ManOnMoon said:

Asking this question a few times on different threads is not going to change the answer 

Edited by C90

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.