Steeleballz

January 2019 Among Earth's Four Warmest Januaries

51 posts in this topic

January 2019 was tied with 2007 for the planet's third warmest January since record keeping began in 1880, said NOAA's National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI) on Tuesday. Taking into account both land and ocean areas, the globally averaged surface temperatures were 0.88°C (1.58°F) above the 20th century average for the month. The only warmer Januaries on record were 2016 and 2017, according to NOAA. Instead of a tie, NASA rated January 2019 as slightly cooler than January 2007, which makes last month the fourth warmest January on record in the NASA database. Minor differences in rankings between NASA and NOAA can arise because of how they handle data-sparse regions such as the Arctic, where few surface weather stations exist.

read more

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Radiation from the sun, the seas will evaporate into clouds and deflect radiation, mother Earth will take care of herself, man shouldn't be so arrogant to think he can affect the climate, correlation is not causation, a little warming is good for us.......what arguments did I miss?

I cannot calculate the curve and complete the figure by the experience of sight; I can divine it by conscience. But from what I see I am sure it bends towards justice -Theodore Parker

1 hour ago, Steeleballz said:

January 2019 was tied with 2007 for the planet's third warmest January since record keeping began in 1880, said NOAA's National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI) on Tuesday. Taking into account both land and ocean areas, the globally averaged surface temperatures were 0.88°C (1.58°F) above the 20th century average for the month. The only warmer Januaries on record were 2016 and 2017, according to NOAA. Instead of a tie, NASA rated January 2019 as slightly cooler than January 2007, which makes last month the fourth warmest January on record in the NASA database. Minor differences in rankings between NASA and NOAA can arise because of how they handle data-sparse regions such as the Arctic, where few surface weather stations exist.

read more

Honestly climate change awareness is hurt by so many absurd radical claims,

It has the same effect as the fake racial attack that just took place 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

My worst winter in 11 years.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

That's why I heard on the radio today that only 1 day of this whole month so far has been at average temperature for this month in California. The rest of the month has been below average temperatures. 

6 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

That's why I heard on the radio today that only 1 day of this whole month so far has been at average temperature for this month in California. The rest of the month has been below average temperatures. 

Indeed interesting. While we have had cold temperatures all over the northern hemisphere, the southern hemisphere has been hotter than normal to an even greater degree. I guess that's obvious, but it doesn't really fit in with the solar minimum argument that was recently discussed. 

If this keeps up, we might start to think that nuclear fusion in the sun's core is continuing on as it has for the last 4 billion years. 

1 hour ago, refugee said:

Radiation from the sun, the seas will evaporate into clouds and deflect radiation, mother Earth will take care of herself, man shouldn't be so arrogant to think he can affect the climate, correlation is not causation, a little warming is good for us.......what arguments did I miss?

It's cold and snowy in my backyard.

Filed: Timeline

My question is, what can we do about it?  If temps the past 70 years or so have been rising because we have so much industry, are we as humans willing to take steps backwards and help reset the planet to where it was before?  Will we tear down buildings, parking lots, highways, and re-forest them?  Will we reduce automobile, plane, bus, and train travel?  What about the thousands of oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico, will we stop running them and chugging billions of noxious diesel exhaust into the atmosphere?  

Edited by ALFKAD

6 minutes ago, ALFKAD said:

My question is, what can we do about it?  If temps the past 70 years or so have been rising because we have so much industry, are we as humans willing to take steps backwards and help reset the planet to where it was before?  Will we tear down buildings, parking lots, highways, and re-forest them?  Will we reduce automobile, plane, bus, and train travel?  What about the thousands of oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico, will we stop running them and chugging billions of noxious diesel exhaust into the atmosphere?  

When it comes down to it, overpopulation is probably the biggest factor. If we were at 2 billion people in the world, it wouldn't really matter if temps went up or down. We would have enough arable land to the north (or south) to compensate for those changes. We wouldn't worry as much about sea level because we wouldn't be spread from sea to sea and everywhere in between. 

I don't know that clean energy or whatever else we come up with can really help. The best thing we can do as far as our ecosystem is get off the course towards 12+ billion people.

11 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

When it comes down to it, overpopulation is probably the biggest factor. If we were at 2 billion people in the world, it wouldn't really matter if temps went up or down. We would have enough arable land to the north (or south) to compensate for those changes. We wouldn't worry as much about sea level because we wouldn't be spread from sea to sea and everywhere in between. 

I don't know that clean energy or whatever else we come up with can really help. The best thing we can do as far as our ecosystem is get off the course towards 12+ billion people.

And yet, we have been told here in CEHST that America will soon be doomed if we don’t get more immigrants in here (yes, I realize that is just re-distribution of people, but goes along with your sentiment, which I agree with).

We have transformed the natural, aspirating, temperature-regulating soil into billions of square feet of tarmac, concrete, etc.  Gets hotter than, and holds heat longer than soil.  I think pretty much everyone in the world (with internet) knows that average temps are rising.  But what will we as a race do about it?  I know I am not willing to live in a nipa hut without AC, and I am not willing to give up my vehicle nor air travel.  Not much else I can do as a selfish human, and I am unwilling to do those things.  

14 minutes ago, ALFKAD said:

And yet, we have been told here in CEHST that America will soon be doomed if we don’t get more immigrants in here (yes, I realize that is just re-distribution of people, but goes along with your sentiment, which I agree with).

We have transformed the natural, aspirating, temperature-regulating soil into billions of square feet of tarmac, concrete, etc.  Gets hotter than, and holds heat longer than soil.  I think pretty much everyone in the world (with internet) knows that average temps are rising.  But what will we as a race do about it?  I know I am not willing to live in a nipa hut without AC, and I am not willing to give up my vehicle nor air travel.  Not much else I can do as a selfish human, and I am unwilling to do those things.  

Someone said doomed?  That sounds really cliche'.

I wouldn't mind living in a nipa hut without AC. Just needs to be in the right location. It wouldn't be at my present address.

48 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

Someone said doomed?  That sounds really cliche'.

I wouldn't mind living in a nipa hut without AC. Just needs to be in the right location. It wouldn't be at my present address.

Said or quoted an article that said.  

Yeah, a nioa hut in the right location could be great.  But sleeping cool and living in a nipa hut seem to be mutually exclusive. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
4 hours ago, refugee said:

Nailed it:thumbs:

Oct 19, 2010 I-130 application submitted to US Embassy Seoul, South Korea

Oct 22, 2010 I-130 application approved

Oct 22, 2010 packet 3 received via email

Nov 15, 2010 DS-230 part 1 faxed to US Embassy Seoul

Nov 15, 2010 Appointment for visa interview made on-line

Nov 16, 2010 Confirmation of appointment received via email

Dec 13, 2010 Interview date

Dec 15, 2010 CR-1 received via courier

Mar 29, 2011 POE Detroit Michigan

Feb 15, 2012 Change of address via telephone

Jan 10, 2013 I-751 packet mailed to Vermont Service CenterJan 15, 2013 NOA1

Jan 31, 2013 Biometrics appointment letter received

Feb 20, 2013 Biometric appointment date

June 14, 2013 RFE

June 24, 2013 Responded to RFE

July 24, 2013 Removal of conditions approved

4 hours ago, Boiler said:

My worst winter in 11 years.

I don't remember a winter this bad since I was a kid and I have lived in WI my whole life. First the -30 To -40 temps then last week almost 2 feet of snow in about 12 hours where I live with more this week and it looks like a big snow storm this weekend. Thought Al Gore said snow would be a thing of the past by now. 

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg