JWaiver_2019

2019 J1 WAIVER TIMELINE - New Applicants

2,060 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, privic said:

Hi, thank you so much for replying! It's very good to know everything went well for you and your husband.

My J-1 visa states I am subject to the 2 year rule, although I don't think I was supposed to be - no skills list, no gov funding. I included the NOS in my AOS application. It might not be enough, but it was all I had by the time.

I don't expect to get an AOS interview before May 2020, according to the current processing times. So I have plenty of time to receive the hard copy of the letter from DOS and even the final decision on the waiver! lol

Did you try to get an advisory opinion? You should try because it might've been a mistake on their part and might have marked you as subject to the 2 year. 

15 minutes ago, rlagkssk830 said:

Did you try to get an advisory opinion? You should try because it might've been a mistake on their part and might have marked you as subject to the 2 year. 

I didn't. I thought it could be a waste of time in my case. There was a chance they would say I was indeed subject, because in my first DS-2019 the university marked that I had government funding (but I didn't). Then the university issued a second DS-2019 to correct this info, but it was too late, because my visa had been already issued with the 2-year information. 

What I am trying to say is that there is some misleading information in my paperwork that indicates I should be subject to the requirement - DS-2019 and visa saying I am subject. I was afraid an advisory opinion would just state that I am subject because of this (non accurate) evidence. I figured I would need a waiver anyway, so I didn't even waste my time waiting on an advisory opinion. 

Now that the DOS issued the favorable recommendation, that should be enough for the AOS. I hope I receive the hard copy soon!

On 10/22/2019 at 4:36 PM, privic said:

I didn't. I thought it could be a waste of time in my case. There was a chance they would say I was indeed subject, because in my first DS-2019 the university marked that I had government funding (but I didn't). Then the university issued a second DS-2019 to correct this info, but it was too late, because my visa had been already issued with the 2-year information. 

What I am trying to say is that there is some misleading information in my paperwork that indicates I should be subject to the requirement - DS-2019 and visa saying I am subject. I was afraid an advisory opinion would just state that I am subject because of this (non accurate) evidence. I figured I would need a waiver anyway, so I didn't even waste my time waiting on an advisory opinion. 

Now that the DOS issued the favorable recommendation, that should be enough for the AOS. I hope I receive the hard copy soon!

I think you took the right route. If you were to receive a “not subject” opinion, this would have been the outcome of your waiver request. There is precedent of people who submitted the waiver request and received “not subject” as a final status from DoS. 

8 hours ago, KBar said:

I got I-797 and DoS recommendation copy on 10/21 by mail. USCIS accepted my case on 10/15 and I just checked my status which says my case was approved. I will wait for USCIS approval mail. 

So happy for you!
Your case moved really fast. My case was accepted by uscis on 10/03. I received my case number on 10/09, and I’m still waiting for a response. I believe it shall be coming soon. 

Finally my journey is coming to an end!

i just received my uscis approval notification on the mail.

Complete timeline:

submitted all docs to DOS on 06/11.

embassy replied with the NOS on 06/12.

All info showed up on DOS website on 07/02, except for the NOS, which showed up one week later, but dated on 07/02 as well.

The DoS issued a favorable recommendation on 09/24, USCIS have received my case on 10/03, and approved it on 10/09. The USCIS website still doesn’t list as approved. 

1B2559AB-4619-4C8C-A478-146645C21A63.jpeg

Hi, 

I have a question regarding the J1 waiver process. 

I have finished and submitted step one, which generated the bar code number. However I did't send it to the DOS. 

I have an emergency now and I need to travel abroad. 

I will need to withdraw the application at this point and re submit it once I'm back. Have anyone done this?  Would it affect my application in the future?

On 10/30/2019 at 12:29 PM, LauCC said:

Hi, 

I have a question regarding the J1 waiver process. 

I have finished and submitted step one, which generated the bar code number. However I did't send it to the DOS. 

I have an emergency now and I need to travel abroad. 

I will need to withdraw the application at this point and re submit it once I'm back. Have anyone done this?  Would it affect my application in the future?

If you haven't sent anything, then you can just reuse the same barcode and everything. Why do you feel that you have to wait to send it later? You don't need to be in the U.S. to file for the waiver. You don't need to have the no-objection letter ready right away (our embassy took months to produce the letter). 

It doesn't hurt to send it now.

1 hour ago, PK_ said:

If you haven't sent anything, then you can just reuse the same barcode and everything. Why do you feel that you have to wait to send it later? You don't need to be in the U.S. to file for the waiver. You don't need to have the no-objection letter ready right away (our embassy took months to produce the letter). 

It doesn't hurt to send it now.

Hi Pk! Thanks for your answer. Our j visas are expired, so we were told that we can’t renew them once the waiver is submitted.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.