JWaiver_2019

2019 J1 WAIVER TIMELINE - New Applicants

2,060 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, WAIVER_2019 said:

thank you ! i was very worried too back then! keep calm and carry on ! the DOS process is really very random or case by case. i have friend whose NOS received earlier than me but still waiting. It seems depend on the officer who handling your case. Good Luck!

Thank you! :) Good luck in the rest of your process! Hopefully, I will get my FR soon! :)

1 hour ago, WAIVER_2019 said:

Yes. My H1b has been approved before i started to apply for the waiver. My case is a bit complicated though. On my DS2019 form, it listed I DO NOT subject to the 2-year residence rule. So I wasn't asked to provide waiver approval in the H1B petition. My H1B was approved as consular processing, which means i need to go outside US and get visa stamp. I did some research online and found in some case even the DS2019 form is not subject when you go for a visa interview, you can still be asked for the waiver. So I applied for the waiver just in case I need it. At the same time, I request for advisory opinion, which shows I am SUBJECT to the 2-year rule. So my conclusion is: You will receive a REF if you apply the COS H1B but the consular processing may not.  However, if you have enough time, you should apply the waiver first then file the H1B as you will need the waiver sooner or later.

I hope this helps. 

Thank you very much for the detailed response.

Hi all,

This seems to be the most active and helpful J1 visa forum, hence I am posting it here! I have 2 years validity left on my current J1 visa (no govt funding)- however, I want to look and move on to a different job with a different visa type. I am worried if it is too soon/ not a "valid enough" reason to apply for a no objection certificate. I already obtained the  no objection clearance from my home country (India). I'm afraid to file petition with DoS since it is a one shot thing. Any pointers/ suggestion will be helpful! Thank you! 

Has anyone received their J-1 waiver recently? I'd appreciate if you can post your timeline.

The processing time for waiver based on NOS is mentioned as 12 to 16 weeks in the DOS website. So, it'd be good to know some actual timelines for a better estimate of the wait times. 

Thanks in advance.

Edited by tnnandi

1 hour ago, tnnandi said:

Has anyone received their J-1 waiver recently? I'd appreciate if you can post your timeline.

The processing time for waiver based on NOS is mentioned as 12 to 16 weeks in the DOS website. So, it'd be good to know some actual timelines for a better estimate of the wait times. 

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried reading the previous 2-3 pages of this topic? There are plenty of recent timelines posted already.

My J1 waiver journey is over! Thank you all for sharing timelines and knowledge.

It took 3 months (13 weeks) to get the favorable recommendation from DOS and other 3 weeks for the USCIS approval notice. 

07/19/2019. Application packet sent to DOS by USPS

07/22/2019. Packet received in St Louis, MO (USPS tracking)

07/22/2019. Embassy sent No Objection Statement

07/25/2019. Application fee check cashed

08/10/2019. DOS updated status – Documents received

10/22/2019. Favorable recommendation sent updated status

10/30/2019. USCIS Received date

10/31/2019. USCIS Notice date

11/13/2019. USCIS Approval notice

12 minutes ago, privic said:

My J1 waiver journey is over! Thank you all for sharing timelines and knowledge.

It took 3 months (13 weeks) to get the favorable recommendation from DOS and other 3 weeks for the USCIS approval notice. 

07/19/2019. Application packet sent to DOS by USPS

07/22/2019. Packet received in St Louis, MO (USPS tracking)

07/22/2019. Embassy sent No Objection Statement

07/25/2019. Application fee check cashed

08/10/2019. DOS updated status – Documents received

10/22/2019. Favorable recommendation sent updated status

10/30/2019. USCIS Received date

10/31/2019. USCIS Notice date

11/13/2019. USCIS Approval notice

Congrats!!! :) 

I am still waiting and 16 weeks plus 3 days have passed so far! Hopefully soon! 

On 11/4/2019 at 4:28 PM, AN204 said:

Thank you for your quick reply. I received the hard of DOS favorable recommendation on October 25 and found they sent the fav recommendation to USCIS vermont service center on October 21. Can you tell me what will be the best number to reach vermont service center. Thank you so much.

Hi, quick question, please...

Is the email this one:  212ewaiver@state.gove?   Is it better to call them or email them, or both? 😕  Which phone number do we call, do you have it, please? 

Omg!! It's been now 4 months and 4 days and I still have my case pending. 

Thank you, 

Hey guys,

So this morning I woke and decided to check my timeline and I have been smiling since then. I got a favorable recommendation!!!!!!

So I will share my time line and also ask a question.

Packet sent: August 5 2019, delivered on the 6th

Cheque cashed: August 7

NoS sent electronically: August 7

First update without NoS: Aigust 27

Update with NoS: August 28

Favorable recommendation: updated today November 22, dated November 21.

My question, should I call USCIS and what number to call please. I know this number has been posted b4, but if anyone can post it as a reply to me, it will be appreciated. 

See the photo timeline below.

And Good luck guys.

20191122_075232.jpg

9 hours ago, J1visa said:

Hi, quick question, please...

Is the email this one:  212ewaiver@state.gove?   Is it better to call them or email them, or both? 😕  Which phone number do we call, do you have it, please? 

Omg!! It's been now 4 months and 4 days and I still have my case pending. 

Thank you, 

Hi, Sorry to hear about your situation. I actually get my final waiver from USCIS on Nov first week. Its better to email the DOS, don't call them , they asked not to call them in the instruction. Actually they reply 2 weeks after you email them. Also if your embassy didn't send the NOS to DOS, DOS will not start working. It took around 2 months for me to get the final waiver. Thanks.

19 minutes ago, AN204 said:

Hi, Sorry to hear about your situation. I actually get my final waiver from USCIS on Nov first week. Its better to email the DOS, don't call them , they asked not to call them in the instruction. Actually they reply 2 weeks after you email them. Also if your embassy didn't send the NOS to DOS, DOS will not start working. It took around 2 months for me to get the final waiver. Thanks.

Thank you, I will email them. I was trying to call today but there is not an option to talk with someone. My embassy sent the NOS and shows as received on October 17th.  It's really exhausting this waiting! Hopefully, I will get mine soon!! 

Congrats to you!! :) 

Hello everyone!! I'm new here and I need some help! I'm confuse about some informations in the DS 3035. 

What exactly am I supposed to put on these: 

Entry date of first J-1 visa? 

Entry port of first J-1 visa? 

And also, if I start the process, can I leave the countryand come back since I have my visa and my DS 2019? 

Thank you!! 

7 minutes ago, Natalia0112 said:

Hello everyone!! I'm new here and I need some help! I'm confuse about some informations in the DS 3035. 

And also, if I start the process, can I leave the countryand come back since I have my visa and my DS 2019? 

Thank you!! 

The entry date refers to the first entrance to the USA. It is in your I-94, as well as your Entry port and Entry State. 

Hopefully someone could post an accurate answer about if it is ok leaving the country meanwhile you are doing the waiver process.... I haven't left the country since I started my waiver process. :)

11 minutes ago, Natalia0112 said:

Thank you!! 

Entry date of first J-1 Visa: That is the date you arrived at an airport and was stamped as a J-1 Visa holder. Even if you have gone out of the country and come back several time, the date is still the first day you entered with a J-1 Visa.

Entry port is the name of the city where the airport you entered from is locate.

From my interaction with an attorney, immediately you start and submit a J-1 waiver request, it is advised that you should not travel out of the country again. There are 2 reasons to that

1. An immigration officer might refuse to allow you come back in even if you have a valid Visa

2. The most critical part is this. Whenever you enter into the US with a J-1 Visa, you are subjected to the 2-year home residency again. That is what I was told by an attorney. Which implies you will have to file for a completely new waiver for that new entry.

I will advise you to make all your travels before you apply for a waiver.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.