JWaiver_2019

2019 J1 WAIVER TIMELINE - New Applicants

2,060 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, LauCC said:

Hi Pk! Thanks for your answer. Our j visas are expired, so we were told that we can’t renew them once the waiver is submitted.

That's correct. You should only file the J1 waiver after your last J1 Visa.

8 minutes ago, LauCC said:

Hi Pk! Thanks for your answer. Our j visas are expired, so we were told that we can’t renew them once the waiver is submitted.

I will advice you to confirm this from an attorney. Once u submit your waiver request online and you have a barcode, I believe u have started your waiver process.

DoS only said they will start processing your application only when they receive all your documents. They did not mention anything about the fact that if you did not submit, you have not started. Just be very sure before you make your move. I believe having a barcode gives you a case number which is already in their system even if you have submitted your package. 

Thread carefully 

3 minutes ago, Abayomi said:

I will advice you to confirm this from an attorney. Once u submit your waiver request online and you have a barcode, I believe u have started your waiver process.

DoS only said they will start processing your application only when they receive all your documents. They did not mention anything about the fact that if you did not submit, you have not started. Just be very sure before you make your move. I believe having a barcode gives you a case number which is already in their system even if you have submitted your package. 

Thread carefully 

Yes, definitely... I agree. I thinks it’s already done now... so we are changing our plans and staying until the process is finished:(  

btw we had booked our appointment with the embassy to renew the j... we’re canceling it now... I hope it doesn’t mess up with the waiver thing...

1 hour ago, LauCC said:

Yes, definitely... I agree. I thinks it’s already done now... so we are changing our plans and staying until the process is finished:(  

btw we had booked our appointment with the embassy to renew the j... we’re canceling it now... I hope it doesn’t mess up with the waiver thing...

Imagine having some random people creating barcodes with some random numbers and names. To me, generating barcode is just a way to help filing the forms. Without submitting the form and the processing fee, they won't start looking at anything related to your file.

18 hours ago, PK_ said:

Imagine having some random people creating barcodes with some random numbers and names. To me, generating barcode is just a way to help filing the forms. Without submitting the form and the processing fee, they won't start looking at anything related to your file.

I agree, my interpretation is that the process only starts when they receive the documentation.

i had a barcode generated in 2018 that I didn’t use because I decided to postpone my waiver process, and my wife was able to renew her J2 visa on a trip made afterwards 

Edited by waiver_req

On 10/20/2019 at 2:09 AM, waiver_req said:

Call them at +1-800-375-5283

give then your full name, mention form I-612 and that It’s probably at Vermont service center.

Hi! Thanks for the information :)

I called and my name is not in any database, I don't know what happened... Did I skip any step? Should I have completed the form I-612?

On 10/26/2019 at 12:11 AM, J1_Waiver_RJ said:

Hey guys,

I am new here (1st post), but I have been reading through the posts for quite a while. This group has helped me a lot in a moment that I was literally freaking out (the waiting time of this process)... but thank God, i got my approval from USCIS today. I am still waiting for the approval notice though.

So here is my timeline in chronological order (from bottom to the top):

October 25 (today) - Status changes from "Case was received by another USCIS office" to "CASE WAS APPROVED" 🤗. However, myaccount.uscis does not have the update, just egov.uscis.gov website and USCIS case tracker app have the update.

October 22 - Call USCIS to correct my first name (they misspelled my name) - I haven't received any notification stating that my first name was fixed in their system.

October 21 - i received a Notice of Action (I-797) with my case number.

October 17 - Case was received by another USCIS office 

October 16 - Case accepted by USCIS lockbox

Department of State Advisory Opinion Finding: Favorable Recommendation

Item

Action

Date

Recommendation

Sent

October, 08 2019

No Objection Statement

Received

July, 25 2019

Fee

Received

July, 12 2019

Form DS-3035

Received

July, 12 2019

Form DS-2019

Received

July, 12 2019

Passport Data Page

Received

July, 12 2019

Statement Of Reason

Received

July, 12 2019

Other

Received

July, 12 2019

June 25 - FedEx delivered my documents

June 24 - Documents sent to DOS

June 21 - Embassy sent my NOS to DOS

By the way, I didnt received the hard copy of the Favorable Recommendation letter from DOS by mail yet. Good luck to you all!!! 😊

Congrats!! and thank you so much for sharing with us your process timeline. Omg! Your post has been so helpful. Did you already received the Favorable recommendation in your mail? 

I am just in the NOS received step... it's been 3 months now and with so many questions about what goes next for the adjustment of status.

On 11/2/2019 at 3:14 PM, J1visa said:

Congrats!! and thank you so much for sharing with us your process timeline. Omg! Your post has been so helpful. Did you already received the Favorable recommendation in your mail? 

I am just in the NOS received step... it's been 3 months now and with so many questions about what goes next for the adjustment of status.

HI, thanks for sharing your dates. Did your case have government funding? We have received fundings from our country. 

On 11/1/2019 at 7:26 PM, Caroline Marquez said:

Hi! Thanks for the information :)

I called and my name is not in any database, I don't know what happened... Did I skip any step? Should I have completed the form I-612?

The form I-612 should be filed by the DoS upon recommendation. If you already got a favorable recommendation but still didn’t get a uscis receipt I would recommend getting in touch with the dos at the email listed in their website for this waiver 

On 9/15/2019 at 4:14 AM, Mrkz said:

Yay finally got my approval from uscis on 13th of septermber, it was updated on website but i have not received anything yet (nor receipt notice).

my timeline:

Nos sent to Dos: 21st august

Nos received at DoS: 22nd august

DoS fav recommendatoin: 28 august

uscis accepted my case: 4th sept

uscis approved my case: 13th sept

good luck everyone!

If you didn't get the receipt notice from USCIS, how did you check your status and how did you confirmed that USCIS accepted and approved your case? DOS sent the favorable recommendation to USCIS for me on October 21, since then didn't receive any receipt notice from USCIS.

2 minutes ago, AN204 said:

If you didn't get the receipt notice from USCIS, how did you check your status and how did you confirmed that USCIS accepted and approved your case? DOS sent the favorable recommendation to USCIS for me on October 21, since then didn't receive any receipt notice from USCIS.

you can call uscis and ask for your case number, usually it takes 4 days for them to receive the docs from DoS. 

If anybody is struggling with getting fav recommendation from DoS, it could make it faster if you email them and come up with some excuse for expedition.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.