JWaiver_2019

2019 J1 WAIVER TIMELINE - New Applicants

2,060 posts in this topic

On 10/8/2019 at 10:02 AM, Abayomi said:

Hey guys. Has anyone got any new notice recently. It's like everything just went silent at DoS. My document status has been updated since August 28 and nothing has changed since then.

Any news of the latest trend.

sigh.. same. Went sent our documents and embassy sent NOS mid August. On the website it states received on Sept. 18. So frustrating how slow it is now. Hopefully it does not take more than 3 months.. 

Hi folks, 

On September 26, 2019, I received an email stating that a "favorable pending" recommendation was made in my case. However, on U.S. Department of State website shows only in Oct. 8th my favorable recommendation. I've been calling USCIS to find out my receipt number, but they can't find the number in the system :(

274426348_J1Waiver.thumb.png.09b7d5deb9e3e4cb64e587f71ae9dfce.png

@privic 

On 10/8/2019 at 1:57 PM, waiver_req said:

My last update was September 24 with a fav recommendation. I still didn’t receive a USCIS receipt for the waiver.

I tried calling USCIS to get my receipt number, and the attendant asked me to wait in line, and went silent for one full hour, at which point I hung up the call... 

I will try calling USCIS again this week

I have received the receipt notice from USCIS yesterday.

they have received my case on October 01 and accepted it on 10/03.

hopefully I’ll get an approval notice soon :) 

3 hours ago, Caroline Marquez said:

Hi everyone!

Please help me!! How could I know my receipt number if I have not received the USCIS receipt? I'm waiting more than two months ago. Here is my timeline:

image.png

Thank you so much!!

Call them at +1-800-375-5283

give then your full name, mention form I-612 and that It’s probably at Vermont service center.

3 hours ago, Dhiego said:

Just got my Favorable Recommendation from DoS. Here is my timeline. Waiting for USCIS now... 

We have so similar timelines. I got an update today as well. Let's hope USCIS will be faster!

image.png.6b3b014d384c8e8ab924e46ebf24e994.png

Application packet sent to DOS by USPS:                 July 19th 2019

Packet received in St Louis, MO (USPS tracking)  July 22nd 2019

Embassy sent No Objection Statement:                   July 22nd 2019

Application fee check cashed:                                   July 25th 2019

DOS updated status – Documents received:           August 10th 2019

Congressman opened inquiry with DOS:                  August 27th 2019

Congressman followed up with DOS:                       September 25th 2019

DOS replied Congressman ("update in a week"):    October 18th 2019

Favorable recommendation sent status:                  October 22nd 2019

19 minutes ago, privic said:

We have so similar timelines. I got an update today as well. Let's hope USCIS will be faster!

image.png.6b3b014d384c8e8ab924e46ebf24e994.png

Application packet sent to DOS by USPS:                 July 19th 2019

Packet received in St Louis, MO (USPS tracking)  July 22nd 2019

Embassy sent No Objection Statement:                   July 22nd 2019

Application fee check cashed:                                   July 25th 2019

DOS updated status – Documents received:           August 10th 2019

Congressman opened inquiry with DOS:                  August 27th 2019

Congressman followed up with DOS:                       September 25th 2019

DOS replied Congressman ("update in a week"):    October 18th 2019

Favorable recommendation sent status:                  October 22nd 2019

Hey,

I noticed you contacted a congressman even when it is still within 12 to 16 weeks time online. How did you go about that.

Mine is going to be exactly 2 months since all documents were updated (August 28) and my timeline is still showing pending.

It's really making me anxious.

8 minutes ago, Abayomi said:

Hey,

I noticed you contacted a congressman even when it is still within 12 to 16 weeks time online. How did you go about that.

Mine is going to be exactly 2 months since all documents were updated (August 28) and my timeline is still showing pending.

It's really making me anxious.

I did contact a congressman,  because my I-94 was about to expire and I wanted to apply for an Adjustment of Status based on marriage to US citizen. So, even though it hadn't been 12 weeks, I needed the favorable recommendation letter for the AOS. That was my reason for asking for help.

DOS totally ignored the congressman inquiry for almost 8 weeks, so I am not sure how much it was really effective.

I ended up applying for the AOS without the recommendation letter, because I didn't want to stay out of status. I wonder now if I should send the DOS letter to USCIS regarding my AOS pending case, or just wait to see if I get a request for evidence (any thoughts will be appreciated, although I might open a new topic to ask about this).

24 minutes ago, privic said:

I did contact a congressman,  because my I-94 was about to expire and I wanted to apply for an Adjustment of Status based on marriage to US citizen. So, even though it hadn't been 12 weeks, I needed the favorable recommendation letter for the AOS. That was my reason for asking for help.

DOS totally ignored the congressman inquiry for almost 8 weeks, so I am not sure how much it was really effective.

I ended up applying for the AOS without the recommendation letter, because I didn't want to stay out of status. I wonder now if I should send the DOS letter to USCIS regarding my AOS pending case, or just wait to see if I get a request for evidence (any thoughts will be appreciated, although I might open a new topic to ask about this).

My husband got his AOS Green card without the recommendation letter. We were in a odd situation because on his VISA it states he was not objected to the 2 year requirement. We did 2 advisory opinions and they stated he WAS required to fulfill the 2 year requirement. I think the officer just went with what was stated on his visa and didn't ask any questions about the J-1 waiver.

I think it was good that you applied for the AOS. It takes 5+ months to even get an interview! You will probably have the favorable recommendation while your AOS is in processing. I read somewhere that you do not even need the official waiver letter from the USCIS at your interview. You only need to show them you got a favorable recommendation from the DOS. I would say like 99% of the time when DOS gives a favorable recommendation, USCIS will give you an approval letter. Good luck! 

6 minutes ago, rlagkssk830 said:

My husband got his AOS Green card without the recommendation letter. We were in a odd situation because on his VISA it states he was not objected to the 2 year requirement. We did 2 advisory opinions and they stated he WAS required to fulfill the 2 year requirement. I think the officer just went with what was stated on his visa and didn't ask any questions about the J-1 waiver.

I think it was good that you applied for the AOS. It takes 5+ months to even get an interview! You will probably have the favorable recommendation while your AOS is in processing. I read somewhere that you do not even need the official waiver letter from the USCIS at your interview. You only need to show them you got a favorable recommendation from the DOS. I would say like 99% of the time when DOS gives a favorable recommendation, USCIS will give you an approval letter. Good luck! 

Hi, thank you so much for replying! It's very good to know everything went well for you and your husband.

My J-1 visa states I am subject to the 2 year rule, although I don't think I was supposed to be - no skills list, no gov funding. I included the NOS in my AOS application. It might not be enough, but it was all I had by the time.

I don't expect to get an AOS interview before May 2020, according to the current processing times. So I have plenty of time to receive the hard copy of the letter from DOS and even the final decision on the waiver! lol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.