JWaiver_2019

2019 J1 WAIVER TIMELINE - New Applicants

2,060 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, WAIVER_2019 said:

You can try to contact your embassy to check. I was also worried that they lost my NOS back then. I contacted my embassy and also DOS. But haven't got any response. From 2019-09-16 to 2019-11-14 is a long time though. I suggest you contact DOS to check. Also, did you apply for advisory opinion before? if you have another case number, DOS will link your application to your old case number. Good luck to you!

Thank you very much for your response. I haven't apply for advisory opinion so only one case number. I have emailed to DOS and still waiting for reply. Embassy said they sent it on 2019-09-26. I have again emailed them if they can confirm that letter was received by DOS. I don't see any other option. Thanks! 

Hello all, I would like to share my J1 waiver timeline with you. I want to thank you all for the great advices on this process. This has been very helpful. 

November 13: USCIS approved my case (saw it online)

November 11: I saw the i797 notice of action in my mail with receipt number

October 31: USCIS received my recommendation from DoS 

Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 2.02.40 PM.png

Edited by dekk123

On 11/11/2019 at 3:39 PM, WaiverBR said:

Hi Everyone!

First of all, I want to thank this group to help me to deal with my stress and anxiety! I have been following the group since the beginning of the year... only getting ready for my process.

The DOS received all my docs, including the No objection statement (based on Brazilian government funding) on August 28th (I submitted on August 2nd). I will complete 11 weeks waiting for my favorable recommendation in the next Wednesday. And I am freaking out! I reviewed all messages of this forum today and most of people got the FR in less than 3 months. Should I send a inquiry in two weeks, when I will complete 12 weeks of process (since the update docs)?

I finally got my Favorable Recommendation!!!! I am SUPEEEER HAPPY, uoooow! I would like to share with you my timeline:

08/02/2019: sent my documents to DOS and Consulate
08/04/2019: DOS received my document
08/05/2019: Embassy sent my NOS to DOS
08/28/2019: All documents were received 
11/15/2019 : DOS sent Recommendation to USCIS

Hope to get my I797-C and my final waiver soon!!!!

Thanks for everyone! This group is amazing and helped me a lot!

1.png

On 11/14/2019 at 8:31 AM, WAIVER_2019 said:

Got my I-797C notice from USCIS, and I am waiting for the final approval notice from USCIS. The forum really helps me a lot and share my timeline here: 

Background: J-1 post-doc since 2017, programs with no government funding 

Reason to apply for waiver: change status to H1B (approved, consular processing)

Home Embassy: 

2019-07-17: filed petition for no objection statement

2019-10-02: embassy sent out no objection letter to DOS

DOS: 

2019-07-17: sent out application documents via USPS Priority Express (overnight)

2019-07-18: package arrived at DOS office via tracking number 

2019-07-22: checked being cashed

2019-07-31: DOS status updated received fee, DS2019, DS3035, passport page, statement of reason

2019-10-28: DOS status updated received No Objection Statement — 4 weeks after home embassy sent the letter

2019-10-31: DOS status updated recommendation letter sent

2019-11-08: received recommendation letter copy in my mail box -- normal stamp 

USCIS:

2019-11-12 morning: call USCIS at 800-375-5283 to check receipt number -- give your full name, A-number/SSN, date of birth, current address, mention filed I-612 form. The agent suggested to call them between 8 am to 11 am ET and asked for tier 2 officer for help. Call them one week after DOS sent out the FR. 

2019-11-12 afternoon: received the I-797C in my mail box. case was received on 2019-11-07 and process at another office in USCIS.

Good luck to everyone ! 

Just to update my case status at USCIS

2019-11-16: my account show case was approved ! so now, wait for the final 797A form in my mail. 

Good luck to everyone !

2 minutes ago, tnnandi said:

Can someone please suggest about the time taken by DOS to post the first status update after they receive all the documents?

My documents were updated in three weeks after receiving. Received on Sept 09 and updated on Oct 01. 

I am waiting for NOS update it has been more than six week. 

39 minutes ago, BL_07 said:

My embassy (India) sent NOS on September 26. When did you submit your application?  

My completed application reached DOS just today, but I went to the Indian embassy in person on 13th November for the NOS and they mentioned that they'll be sending the NOS to DOS on the same day or the next.  Did you try emailing to 212ewaiver@state.gov or somewhere else about this unexpected delay in updating the NOS status?

1 minute ago, tnnandi said:

My completed application reached DOS just today, but I went to the Indian embassy in person on 13th November for the NOS and they mentioned that they'll be sending the NOS to DOS on the same day or the next.  Did you try emailing to 212ewaiver@state.gov or somewhere else about this unexpected delay in updating the NOS status?

I emailed DOS last week and haven't got any reply yet.  Do you know how Indian embassy send NOS (by mail or email)? I emailed to embassy but they are only giving information about when the letter was sent.  I feel helpless and don't know what to do. 

On 11/14/2019 at 9:31 AM, WAIVER_2019 said:

Got my I-797C notice from USCIS, and I am waiting for the final approval notice from USCIS. The forum really helps me a lot and share my timeline here: 

Background: J-1 post-doc since 2017, programs with no government funding 

Reason to apply for waiver: change status to H1B (approved, consular processing)

Home Embassy: 

2019-07-17: filed petition for no objection statement

2019-10-02: embassy sent out no objection letter to DOS

DOS: 

2019-07-17: sent out application documents via USPS Priority Express (overnight)

2019-07-18: package arrived at DOS office via tracking number 

2019-07-22: checked being cashed

2019-07-31: DOS status updated received fee, DS2019, DS3035, passport page, statement of reason

2019-10-28: DOS status updated received No Objection Statement — 4 weeks after home embassy sent the letter

2019-10-31: DOS status updated recommendation letter sent

2019-11-08: received recommendation letter copy in my mail box -- normal stamp 

USCIS:

2019-11-12 morning: call USCIS at 800-375-5283 to check receipt number -- give your full name, A-number/SSN, date of birth, current address, mention filed I-612 form. The agent suggested to call them between 8 am to 11 am ET and asked for tier 2 officer for help. Call them one week after DOS sent out the FR. 

2019-11-12 afternoon: received the I-797C in my mail box. case was received on 2019-11-07 and process at another office in USCIS.

Good luck to everyone ! 

Hi Waiver_2019, you mention that "Reason to apply for waiver: change status to H1B (approved, consular processing)". Does that mean that you can get H1B approved without the waiver in hand? I'm in a similar situation too, applying for cap-exempt H1B, but waiting for the waiver to come. Maybe I'm misinformed, as I was having the impression that a waiver at hand is required to apply for H1B, otherwise a RFE can be given when the waiver will be required. I didn't know that H1B can be approved without the waiver.

Thanks

Edited by tnnandi

On 11/16/2019 at 1:22 PM, WAIVER_2019 said:

Just to update my case status at USCIS

2019-11-16: my account show case was approved ! so now, wait for the final 797A form in my mail. 

Good luck to everyone !

Congrats!!!! We have very similar times. Documents received on 07/18/19, then, the NOS from my embassy appears in the system on 10/17/19.... I am still waiting to see my favorable recommendation, hopefully these next days! This is crazy! So anxious! :I

48 minutes ago, J1visa said:

Congrats!!!! We have very similar times. Documents received on 07/18/19, then, the NOS from my embassy appears in the system on 10/17/19.... I am still waiting to see my favorable recommendation, hopefully these next days! This is crazy! So anxious! :I

thank you ! i was very worried too back then! keep calm and carry on ! the DOS process is really very random or case by case. i have friend whose NOS received earlier than me but still waiting. It seems depend on the officer who handling your case. Good Luck!

2 hours ago, tnnandi said:

Hi Waiver_2019, you mention that "Reason to apply for waiver: change status to H1B (approved, consular processing)". Does that mean that you can get H1B approved without the waiver in hand? I'm in a similar situation too, applying for cap-exempt H1B, but waiting for the waiver to come. Maybe I'm misinformed, as I was having the impression that a waiver at hand is required to apply for H1B, otherwise a RFE can be given when the waiver will be required. I didn't know that H1B can be approved without the waiver.

Thanks

Yes. My H1b has been approved before i started to apply for the waiver. My case is a bit complicated though. On my DS2019 form, it listed I DO NOT subject to the 2-year residence rule. So I wasn't asked to provide waiver approval in the H1B petition. My H1B was approved as consular processing, which means i need to go outside US and get visa stamp. I did some research online and found in some case even the DS2019 form is not subject when you go for a visa interview, you can still be asked for the waiver. So I applied for the waiver just in case I need it. At the same time, I request for advisory opinion, which shows I am SUBJECT to the 2-year rule. So my conclusion is: You will receive a REF if you apply the COS H1B but the consular processing may not.  However, if you have enough time, you should apply the waiver first then file the H1B as you will need the waiver sooner or later.

I hope this helps. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.