Cirub

Are we ready to apply for the k-1?

6 posts in this topic

Hi, I am new in this community. I was reading a lot.

My couple is from Texas, he wants to apply for the k-1. We want to get married in USA. We are not sure when to apply, because we are so worried about know if our story is enought to apply. If we have the enought provements. 

I was my boyfriend's Au Pair, he was married. After four months living with his family, we start to fall in love (December 017, it was the last February when we were seriously. We went out together  but he was still married. In July i left the country because he need be focus in his divorce which is was long and difficult. We were stil, talking everyday by Hangout and WhatsApp. Once he got the divorce,, that happened the last December, we decided to travel to Toronto, Canada to meet each other. I can't go to USA because in October i applied to get the B-2 and i was rejected because i couldn't show ties to Spain. We took a pictures together when i was in USA with him. Once i left the country we sent some emails also. Our relation started one year ago, but he got his divorce in December. I was reading about what we need to show to prove our relation. I think we have all. He surprise me in our trip with a ring, he kept the receipt. 

Are we ready to apply? Should we wait more time? He is thinking in come to Spain in February or March. For him is hard travel because he has a full custody of his kids. 

Edited by CinBr

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Why not just marry in Canada or Spain, and file a CR-1 spousal visa?

K-1
    Slightly faster arrival in the US (currently about 3 months sooner)    
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 5-6 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 5-6 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.

CR-1
    Slightly slower arrival in the US (currently about 3 months later)

Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.

Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

3 minutes ago, JFH said:

¿Es usted español? ¿Por qué solicitaste un B-2 si eres español? ¿No eres elegible para el VWP? 

Ciertamente cumple con los requisitos legales para un K-1 (suponiendo que su divorcio esté finalizado). Si este es un buen momento para comenzar el proceso es otra cuestión. ¿Cómo se sienten los niños? ¿Qué pasa con su familia extendida? En situaciones como esta, no es raro que te vean como un demoledor de casa y que los niños estén resentidos con la persona que causó la interrupción de su hogar feliz (yo era un niño en una situación similar y todavía siento animosidad hacia el mujer que sentí que era la responsable de romper la familia). 

I did bad applying to the B-2. I want to go for 5 months. It was a mistake honestly. They are good. For now they don't know about me.  We talk, but they don't know i will go with Daddy yet. Thanks for be helpfull.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 1/5/2019 at 10:59 AM, Nitas_man said:

Legally you are OK.  JFH brings up some good points. 

I would add to that and suggest that you stop and really think about what you are doing.  In addition to the affect on the children what makes you believe that his wandering eye won't wander away from you the next time some hot foreign girl rolls into his sights? 

I would suggest OP to be careful as we are all supposed to be when in a relationship, and that's it. 

We tend to judge people so quickly without even knowing the circumstances of their lives. Life happens, marriages break, people fall in love when they are not supposed to... sometimes we forgot this is an immigration forum, not a relationship issues one.

NOA 1 *NEW* USCIS website: March 01, 2018

RFE USCIS website: September 26, 2018

RFE Hard copy: October 01, 2018

RFE Response Sent:  October 10, 2018

RFE Received by USCIS:  October 16, 2018

NOA2!!!!! *NEW* USCIS website: November 2, 2018

NVC Received: November 14, 2018

NVC Case Number: November 29, 2018

NVC In Transit: December 11, 2018

NVC Ready: December 13, 2018

Medical: February 18, 2019

CAS (Biometrics): February 19, 2019

Interview: February 20, 2019 - APPROVED!

CEAC Issued: Februery 27, 2019

VOH: March 12, 2019

POE: March 23, 2019

Marriage: May 10, 2019

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.