Kacey8361

Back and Forth

34 posts in this topic

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Going through said:

He would have to report worldwide income----has he been working in Canada over the years?

Yes! He has only been working for 2 years. Was only granted PR here in Canada 2 years ago. Now that you say “worldwide” income, I remember something about that. Will def be in contact with IRS asap. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
6 hours ago, Kacey8361 said:

Incredible. So, he just has to file $0 on everything since 2014? So strange, but we will sort this out ASAP

Not unless $0 is his income.  He'll file based on all his actual income.  But, a little over $100,000 of foreign income is exempt from US income tax.  Exempt from tax, is not the same as exempt from filing a tax return.  You avail yourself of the exemption WHEN filing the return.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
3 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Not unless $0 is his income.  He'll file based on all his actual income.  But, a little over $100,000 of foreign income is exempt from US income tax.  Exempt from tax, is not the same as exempt from filing a tax return.  You avail yourself of the exemption WHEN filing the return.

Thank you for this information. I’ll be in touch with the IRS early Jan. Would have been a real shame had we learned this after filing the I-130. 

Edited by Kacey8361

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
9 hours ago, Kacey8361 said:

Thank you for this information. I’ll be in touch with the IRS early Jan. Would have been a real shame had we learned this after filing the I-130. 

Not really.  You have several months (6 to 9) before this needs to be sorted.  Affidavits of support and tax returns go in AFTER the I-130 is approved.  What will be a real shame is if you fail to carefully study the I-130 instructions BEFORE you proceed.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
1 hour ago, pushbrk said:

Not really.  You have several months (6 to 9) before this needs to be sorted.  Affidavits of support and tax returns go in AFTER the I-130 is approved.  What will be a real shame is if you fail to carefully study the I-130 instructions BEFORE you proceed.

You’re absolutely correct about that! I feel like I have just a little bit of experience as we virtually had to go through the same paperwork proceedings when he moved to Canada a few years back. Still, I will do my due dilligence to be as meticulous as possible. I really appreciate the time you take to help other such as myself. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
21 hours ago, Kacey8361 said:

Thank for The quick response. He was granted permanent residency in Canada a few years back and therefore has not needed to file taxes in the US for a few years now. He files his taxes in Canada as this is where he lives/works (for now). 

You may or may not remember a story of one of the Facebook founders who was so averse to filing US taxes while living abroad that he renounced his US citizenship.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

16 minutes ago, Russ&Caro said:

You may or may not remember a story of one of the Facebook founders who was so averse to filing US taxes while living abroad that he renounced his US citizenship.

He is living in Singapore last I heard and I expect with a Singapore passport/citizenship right now. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am actually in the same situation. I am a US citizen living as a PR in Canada and i have been here for a few years. My spouse and i decided we want to move as a family to the states so i had to file an i130 for my spouse and two step children. 

In order to prove that we have a place to live and a sufficient income ( even though we will be selling our home and will be fine financially ) we will need to have a co-sponser that can prove they can support us upon arrival. I am using my parents. If i didn’t want to use a co sponser, i would need  move down to the states before our NOA2 to prove that i make enough to support myself and then as well. Which is between 20-30% over poverty ( I’m not 100% sure the exact number )

so it is up to you as a family to decide which route to take. Get a co sponser or possibly have him leave early and you do the long distance for a while. 

and, since i have lived here in Canada, i have had to file taxes in the states on the income that i made in Canada and have had to pay every year. Which is incredibly frustrating getting double taxed. 

But you moving to the states, you won’t get taxed by Canada on your US income. 

Hope that helps. Cheers. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Brittany & Jamie said:

I am actually in the same situation. I am a US citizen living as a PR in Canada and i have been here for a few years. My spouse and i decided we want to move as a family to the states so i had to file an i130 for my spouse and two step children. 

In order to prove that we have a place to live and a sufficient income ( even though we will be selling our home and will be fine financially ) we will need to have a co-sponser that can prove they can support us upon arrival. I am using my parents. If i didn’t want to use a co sponser, i would need  move down to the states before our NOA2 to prove that i make enough to support myself and then as well. Which is between 20-30% over poverty ( I’m not 100% sure the exact number )

so it is up to you as a family to decide which route to take. Get a co sponser or possibly have him leave early and you do the long distance for a while. 

and, since i have lived here in Canada, i have had to file taxes in the states on the income that i made in Canada and have had to pay every year. Which is incredibly frustrating getting double taxed. 

Hope that helps. Cheers. 

Brittany!!! Thank you I love that your scenario is almost identical to mine. Thank you so much for sharing. 

We discussed it last night and we will go with a co-sponsor which will be his sister. Same here, we will be totally fine our savings and such, but rules are rules. 

Thank you again!! 

Timeline
6 hours ago, Kacey8361 said:

Brittany!!! Thank you I love that your scenario is almost identical to mine. Thank you so much for sharing. 

We discussed it last night and we will go with a co-sponsor which will be his sister. Same here, we will be totally fine our savings and such, but rules are rules. 

Thank you again!! 

I Also, we filed from British Columbia by mailing our i130’s out to Chicago. The trickiest part was getting the payment from an American bank account. I have an American bank account open but i dont have any Cheques for it so my mom had to send me a Cheque in the mail for us to send to Chicago and we just sent her a money order. Ha  

12 hours ago, Brittany & Jamie said:

Hope that helps. Cheers. 

Were you making over 100k per year?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
35 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Were you making over 100k per year?

No, but we still had to file and i still ended up paying at the end of the year. 

12 minutes ago, Brittany & Jamie said:

No, but we still had to file and i still ended up paying at the end of the year. 

You might want to have a CPA review the previous years you filed and had to pay, something seems amiss. 

Timeline
4 hours ago, Brittany & Jamie said:

I Also, we filed from British Columbia by mailing our i130’s out to Chicago. The trickiest part was getting the payment from an American bank account. I have an American bank account open but i dont have any Cheques for it so my mom had to send me a Cheque in the mail for us to send to Chicago and we just sent her a money order. Ha  

Ummmmm thank you x 100000 for that little tidbit. I appreciate you sharing minor hurdles like that with me. Still figuring my way around this site but I did follow you as I am interested to see your progress in this whole process. Wishing you all the best in 2019!! Can’t wait to see your progress! Cheers. 

Ps I’m in Alberta and the cost of living out here is ridiculous! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.