Don_aka_Arturo

Colombia Guide?Fiance K1 - Bogota - @141 days - any guides?

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I'm from US (Suburbs outside Detroit, MI) and my Fiance (Beneficiary) is in Colombia, we applied via a law firm and I reviewed all forms up front for our K1 Fiance visa.

I will be going to see my fiance over Christmas and New Years and I think it would be a good time to overview some things together.

RE: prep steps for NOA2 / Consulate meeting - If anyone has any Bogota / Colombia specific tips they are much appreciated (especially anything I need to prep for the meeting)

My fiance and I are awaiting the NOA2 (at 141 days), and I have seen some get there in 163 days.

Best guess is somewhere by 1/12/19 through 2/12/19 would be the earliest to hear something back on NOA2 or more info needed;

I hope and pray...with some luck a case approval a case# and moving to next steps happens fairly early in the new year.

I appreciate any insight on preparing for the meeting at the Consulate.

She will fly there from another city in Colombia with her daughter. (I assume this needs to be some days ahead for anything that can be prepared early.... if they allow medical a certain number of days ahead, etc)

Are there any updated guides?

I had seen some guides where they say to start calling the Colombian embassy about a week or so after NOA2 to verify the Consulate has received the case package; then to call 2 days after receipt to get the "beneficiary/fiance packet" as it was stated it will not be mailed to the beneficiary.

I'd like to stay on top of this to avoid delays.

On those guides they list links to the packet 3 / 4 / DAS but they are broken links now. 

See below:

https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php?title=Colombia_Club_Guide_%26_Tips

If anyone has a links or Bogota / Colombia specific tips are much appreciated.

I just found this link when researching the medical items.... in case this is all I should need:>

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/iv-dv-supplemental/BGT - Bogota.pdf

and

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7hB3bl9Snfkb0NiMVFUd2JsVjA/view

but appreciate any other heads-up items outside the box that I should be aware of.

I still need to put together my package of papers for the meeting as we have had 2 more trips to see each other between mailing the application and the consulate meeting.

All of our text, voice, video chat communication is 99.5% on Whatsapp (some on facebook), so I'm not exactly sure how I will show that in the meeting hah... maybe print a bible of chat dialog from whatsapp?

Thanks so much for any help or insight,

Happy Holidays and best of luck to all!

Don_aka_Arturo & Aura

Timeline

Hi we are almost done, waiting for the file to get to the embassy. 

From our experience, from NOA 2 for your file getting to the embassy it might take 6 weeks, our is now in transit. Our NOA 2 is from november 6 and just yesterday left for the embassy.

When approved need to update emails at ask NVC, just  check the first post of groups with NOA2 you'll find the information. Things will start moving once you get your case number from NVC,  about 2 weeks after case is approved. 

About the embassy call, if you have to do so, It won't be until NVC sends your application to Colombia, having said that there's no point to start worrying about that now. 

My suggestion, just relax enjoy your holidays. Things are way easier than they look. No need to get stress out. If you follow the instructions for each form you will be fine, that's what we did and as I said is way easier than it looks. 

The links you have are pretty much what I have seen here.

Any doubts feel free to ask if I can not help you, people in here is very helpful and willing to do so.

PD. Be prepared for people telling you is a waste of money paying a solicitor and being very critical about it. 

B.

Edited by Valmabe

®️

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

My wife's application was for a CR1 visa and it was 5 years ago so the situation isn't exactly like yours. However, the medical/interview process in Bogota is very similar if not identical btwn K1 and CR1. The thing we did to prepare was to research which doctors were available to do the medical appointment so that we were ready once we got approved to move forward to scheduling. For the week of her interview there were, I believe, 3 steps. One was to register with some office on a Friday, then she had her medical on the following Monday and interview on a Tuesday.

The Bogota portal page is useful: https://www.visajourney.com/portals/index.php?auto=1

The Bogota consulate info page is useful: https://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Colombia&cty=Bogota

The Bogota consulate reviews are useful: https://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=Colombia&page=1&dfilter=5&topic=

Beyond that, I would make sure you're using the Visa Journey site from a PC, rather than a mobile device to get better search results. Search on Bogota or Colombia and you'll get a lot of threads where people share their experiences. I know 5 years ago there was a thread that we used to compare experiences, but it was mostly for CR1 applications.

Good luck. Be patient. It'll all be over before you know it.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 2:35 PM, Don_aka_Arturo said:

I'm from US (Suburbs outside Detroit, MI) and my Fiance (Beneficiary) is in Colombia, we applied via a law firm and I reviewed all forms up front for our K1 Fiance visa.

I will be going to see my fiance over Christmas and New Years and I think it would be a good time to overview some things together.

Don_aka_Arturo & Aura

Here is what I have been able to stich together for Columbia.

After you get your case number from NVC it would be a good idea if you were to connect with the VJ sub forum for all things dealing with the US Embassy in Colombia and they will answer your questions for the processing of your visa from their personal experience. Link:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/96-mexico-latin-south-america/

Get the US Embassy Colombian K-1 Packet 3 (P3) at  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7hB3bl9Snfkb0NiMVFUd2JsVjA/view  as this is your bible needed to complete and receive your visa. The required documents are included and use the EL as a check list. Once you have completed or gathered the required documents you'll be ready for your interview. If it is not on the Embassy letter, it probably is not needed.

Last but not least, READ the pages on the US Embassy website for your country so that you are up to speed.

https://co.usembassy.gov/visas/

One last place to check for information would be the VJ Wiki found here: http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/Special:AllPages and here http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Colombia&cty=Bogota

Ppl doing their vaccinations in Columbia can do them with anyone not connected to the approved medical center where  your exam will take place saving you a lot of money. Be sure to get a receipt that states every single vaccination that you received. See list below that are required vaccinations. Then during your medical present the receipt for the vaccinations to the Doctor and ask that they be transposed to the DS-3025 and marked COMPLETE! Very important that they are marked complete. You will use this document once you are married and filing your AOS package.

Good luck and God's speed.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline
On 12/15/2018 at 1:21 AM, Greenbaum said:

Here is what I have been able to stich together for Columbia.

After you get your case number from NVC it would be a good idea if you were to connect with the VJ sub forum for all things dealing with the US Embassy in Colombia and they will answer your questions for the processing of your visa from their personal experience. Link:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/96-mexico-latin-south-america/

Get the US Embassy Colombian K-1 Packet 3 (P3) at  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7hB3bl9Snfkb0NiMVFUd2JsVjA/view  as this is your bible needed to complete and receive your visa. The required documents are included and use the EL as a check list. Once you have completed or gathered the required documents you'll be ready for your interview. If it is not on the Embassy letter, it probably is not needed.

Last but not least, READ the pages on the US Embassy website for your country so that you are up to speed.

https://co.usembassy.gov/visas/

One last place to check for information would be the VJ Wiki found here: http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/Special:AllPages and here http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Colombia&cty=Bogota

Ppl doing their vaccinations in Columbia can do them with anyone not connected to the approved medical center where  your exam will take place saving you a lot of money. Be sure to get a receipt that states every single vaccination that you received. See list below that are required vaccinations. Then during your medical present the receipt for the vaccinations to the Doctor and ask that they be transposed to the DS-3025 and marked COMPLETE! Very important that they are marked complete. You will use this document once you are married and filing your AOS package.

Good luck and God's speed.

Waste of money to get any immunisation records from anyone but the the embassy doctors. The embassy doctors will do the shots again, no matter where you have vaccination records from, it is there money, you would be taking from them. My wife had all he shots from the red cross, the doctor repeated all the shots. Otherwise no visa.

3 hours ago, Calicolom said:

Waste of money to get any immunisation records from anyone but the the embassy doctors. The embassy doctors will do the shots again, no matter where you have vaccination records from, it is there money, you would be taking from them. My wife had all he shots from the red cross, the doctor repeated all the shots. Otherwise no visa.

And others had the experience that I outlined so yes you can do it out side of the approved medical center. Just bring the receipt.

Can't explain why you had a different experience but buyer beware. I for one would have them done at the medical exam but that's me.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Country-specific thread is moved from the K-1 Process forum to the Mexico/Latin/South America regional forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Greetings! Perhaps I am not finding something that can be easily found but... I am trying the find the PDF for The Instructions and Appointment Package- Fiance K Visas (packets 3 and 4) in Spanish. Hope someone here can help! Thanks and the best of luck to you all!

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

sorry I can't help you mmsamor... i just see the English one.

My packet is now at the US Embassy in Bogota!  

How long have people had to wait to get the packet of information from the embassy?

How is appointment availability looking?  We are flexible on times/days...

Timeline
On 1/10/2019 at 9:10 PM, mmsamor said:

Greetings! Perhaps I am not finding something that can be easily found but... I am trying the find the PDF for The Instructions and Appointment Package- Fiance K Visas (packets 3 and 4) in Spanish. Hope someone here can help! Thanks and the best of luck to you all!

Hope It can help. Maybe to late.  

SPAIVPkt34-Inst1118.pdf

®️

Timeline
58 minutes ago, tony1986 said:

sorry I can't help you mmsamor... i just see the English one.

My packet is now at the US Embassy in Bogota!  

How long have people had to wait to get the packet of information from the embassy?

How is appointment availability looking?  We are flexible on times/days...

Hi, 

The information I'm giving you is from my experience, this is what I did when I was able to schedule our interview, hope it helps.

Send an email to ivbogota@state.gov asking for the next step, since your file is already at the embassy.

Include in the mail:

1. Case number

2. USCIS Receipt number

3. Beneficiary's full name and DOB

4. Petitioner's full name and DOB

When you get the reply read carefully and check the links you get reates to the process, that will lead you in the process.

What I did, after getting the reply:

1. Fill DS-160 form,

2. Schedule biometrics and interview (I suggest to schedule for 3 weeks to avoid reschedule) then you'll know availability, Bogotá's embassy is pretty good compare to others.

3. Book medical 

4. Gather all the documents

Hope this helps, good luck.

®️

Timeline
1 hour ago, Valmabe said:

Hi, 

The information I'm giving you is from my experience, this is what I did when I was able to schedule our interview, hope it helps.

Send an email to ivbogota@state.gov asking for the next step, since your file is already at the embassy.

Include in the mail:

1. Case number

2. USCIS Receipt number

3. Beneficiary's full name and DOB

4. Petitioner's full name and DOB

When you get the reply read carefully and check the links you get reates to the process, that will lead you in the process.

What I did, after getting the reply:

1. Fill DS-160 form,

2. Schedule biometrics and interview (I suggest to schedule for 3 weeks to avoid reschedule) then you'll know availability, Bogotá's embassy is pretty good compare to others.

3. Book medical 

4. Gather all the documents

Hope this helps, good luck.

Did they respond to you with the packet?  My understanding is you can't move ahead scheduling anything without the packet.  If they did respond... how long did you wait to email them?... my packet just arrived yesterday.

https://co.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/fiancee-visa/the-interview/

1. When the case is received at the Embassy, we will send the beneficiary a packet of instructions that provides further information, including how to book an appointment and what documents the beneficiary will need to present at the interview.
  2. Visa applicants/beneficiaries must wait to receive the packet of instructions before scheduling an appointment. The Embassy is not able to process your case before that.
Edited by tony1986

Timeline
16 minutes ago, tony1986 said:

Did they respond to you with the packet?  My understanding is you can't move ahead scheduling anything without the packet.  If they did respond... how long did you wait to email them?... my packet just arrived yesterday.

https://co.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/fiancee-visa/the-interview/

1. When the case is received at the Embassy, we will send the beneficiary a packet of instructions that provides further information, including how to book an appointment and what documents the beneficiary will need to present at the interview.
  2. Visa applicants/beneficiaries must wait to receive the packet of instructions before scheduling an appointment. The Embassy is not able to process your case before that.

No attachment on the reply e-email, just information and links. I sent the email once our fíe was "At Embassy" stage. I got the reply on the same day.

Just out of curiosity, your packet has any other information that the one in the link you just posted?

®️

Timeline
4 hours ago, mmsamor said:

Another Question Colombia people- do you need your original birth certificate for the interview?

A notarize copy, the one you get from the notary/register office, where the birth was registered. in other words you must go the notary/register office and request a copy of the birth certificate.

®️

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.