summersolstice

sponsor 10 yo nephew for school

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Are there any provisions for sponsoring the nephew of a US citizen for school? How do all the foreign students go about being sponsored by a US family? 

Nebraska, USA - Cebu City, Philippines

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

How old is the child?

Public school is limited to one year in high school with a qualified exchange program.  Cost about $10,000.

Private school is available if you can afford tuition.  Cost about $20,000 - $40,000 per year.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

The nephew is 10 years old and very smart, having began school in the Philippines at an early age. He's currently in grade 6 and will begin middle school in March.

Nebraska, USA - Cebu City, Philippines

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

You will need to look into private schools.  You will need to show that you can afford tuition for his entire course of study.  This is the only option.  Having a USC aunt does not help.  Money is the only way to do this.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

One of friendly mods will move your post to the appropriate forum, but yes he would be looking at a F1 Student Visa and quite common for Family to pay.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

*** Moved from Bringing Family Members of US Citizens to America to "Student & Exchange Visitor Visas " ***

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

It would depend on how you wanted them to come over. You are unable to sponsor them for a greencard, as they need to be your spouse, parent or child.. You would need to legally adopt them if they were to be sponsored on a greencard and to attend public school.

If the family has plenty of money, then there are private schools that take international students, and networks.  For example, https://www.cambridgenetwork.com helps find homestays in the school area, and they have schools all over the country.  I found one just as an example - Bishop Fenwick HIgh School in Boston, grades 9 - 12, $50,000 per year plus incidentals.  Nice & close to Harvard to inspire the students!  I would assume that schools accustomed to international students would have general visa knowledge as to what they would need.

So essentially your options are (a) Adopt the kid, then sponsor a green card, or (b) Pay lots of money for private school.

Otherwise you may need to talk to an immigration lawyer.  If you're not wanting to spend a few hundred bucks on that, then we can rule out Option B.

Package sent to: Chicago Office

Local Office: Saint Paul, MN

Primary Filings: I0-485, I-130, I-765

Date Filed : 11 Sept 2012

NOA Date : 17 Sept 2012

Bio. Appt.. : 12 Oct 2012

EAD in Production: 14 Nov 2012

EAD Received : 24 Nov 2012

Interview Date : 12 February 2013

Approved : 13 February 2013

GC in Production: 19 February 2013

GC Received: 25 February 2013

Petition to Remove Conditions (I-751)

Date of I-751 = 28 Jan 2015

NOA Date = 29 Jan 2015

Biometrics = 26 Feb 2015

Approved = 25 June 2015

Travelfairy, your option 1 won’t work. There are strict requirements about who can get immigration benefits from adoption, and this case won’t meet them. Only option is to pay for private school.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
56 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Before advising people to adopt, you need to learn the rules about adoption and US immigration. 

There have been plenty of people who rush to adopt family members thinking that would be a good way to bring a relative to the US, then only to find out that the US Government is not so stupid and put up requirements that does not allow them to bring the child to the US.

In order for the adopted child to qualify for a US visa and green card, the child would have to 1) qualify as an orphan, and 2) the parents must go and live with the adopted child for 2 years in the child's country since this would not be a Hague Convention adoption.

Exactly, there are nuances & rules above and beyond the basics - plus stuff people say here may not be entirely correct (like my comment - didn't take into account any adoption laws, just the face that you can only sponsor children, parents and spouses).  Take what people are saying here as a starting point, read up on the USCIS.gov site, and then consult and immigration lawyer if things are still unclear. 

Package sent to: Chicago Office

Local Office: Saint Paul, MN

Primary Filings: I0-485, I-130, I-765

Date Filed : 11 Sept 2012

NOA Date : 17 Sept 2012

Bio. Appt.. : 12 Oct 2012

EAD in Production: 14 Nov 2012

EAD Received : 24 Nov 2012

Interview Date : 12 February 2013

Approved : 13 February 2013

GC in Production: 19 February 2013

GC Received: 25 February 2013

Petition to Remove Conditions (I-751)

Date of I-751 = 28 Jan 2015

NOA Date = 29 Jan 2015

Biometrics = 26 Feb 2015

Approved = 25 June 2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Maybe an F1 visa would work.......but adoption and immigration?  I doubt it.  I have read there are strict conditions such as whether the parents are alive, etc........this subject is normally not DIY.

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
6 hours ago, travelfairy said:

It would depend on how you wanted them to come over. You are unable to sponsor them for a greencard, as they need to be your spouse, parent or child.. You would need to legally adopt them if they were to be sponsored on a greencard and to attend public school.

If the family has plenty of money, then there are private schools that take international students, and networks.  For example, https://www.cambridgenetwork.com helps find homestays in the school area, and they have schools all over the country.  I found one just as an example - Bishop Fenwick HIgh School in Boston, grades 9 - 12, $50,000 per year plus incidentals.  Nice & close to Harvard to inspire the students!  I would assume that schools accustomed to international students would have general visa knowledge as to what they would need.

So essentially your options are (a) Adopt the kid, then sponsor a green card, or (b) Pay lots of money for private school.

Otherwise you may need to talk to an immigration lawyer.  If you're not wanting to spend a few hundred bucks on that, then we can rule out Option B.

Option a is out so that leaves b.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Only option is to pay for the child for private school. Or find somebody else willing to do so.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Other Timeline
18 hours ago, travelfairy said:

Bolded is NOT an option.  This is NOT a fast way to a green card.

Edited by CEE53147

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.