dray

Is length of administrative processing a clue ? (K1)

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

I know from reading these other posts that administrative processing after the consulate interview is  a blind spot and no one knows what's going on except to wait it out , but I was wondering if the length of the processing time might be a clue . What is the longest someone has been in AP and been ultimately approved ( or denied)  ? We're at nearly 3 months now , and i'm trying to gauge if the passing of more time is  a good or bad sign .

Edited by dray
misspelled word

1 minute ago, dray said:

I know from reading these other posts that administrative processing after the consulate interview is  a blind spot and no one knows what's going on except to wait it out , but I was wondering if the length of the processing time might be a clue . What is the longest someone has been in AP and been ultimatedly approved ( or denied)  ? We're at nearly 3 months now , and i'm trying to gauge if the passing of more time is  a good or bad sign .

My husband's visa has been in AP since Jan 2018, so dont know how long would it be.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
4 minutes ago, dray said:

We're at nearly 3 months now , and i'm trying to gauge if the passing of more time is  a good or bad sign

Actually, it is irrelevant, imo.  Every case is different, and every consulate is different.  I suggest you keep busy while trying not to over-analyze it.....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline
11 minutes ago, naz.Ammad said:

My husband's visa has been in AP since Jan 2018, so dont know how long would it be.

I have a question:
For these ten months did they keep your passport with them at the consulate?

Did they asked for additional information and documentation? 

1 minute ago, Bluecheck said:

I have a question:
For these ten months did they keep your passport with them at the consulate?

Did they asked for additional information and documentation? 

yes they have his passport since the interview, and i kept emailing them back in May and June so one day they ask me to send my husband's siblings info( dont ask me why cuz i dont no myself), which i send on the same day, few updates on CEAC after that but  no response, i just email again this morning, so lets see wht they say.

Timeline
39 minutes ago, missileman said:

Actually, it is irrelevant, imo.  Every case is different, and every consulate is different.  I suggest you keep busy while trying not to over-analyze it.....

you may be right , but perhaps if we see some actual numbers and results , a pattern may emerge ...

Some people have waited years in AP and been approved. Others went through AP for days to weeks and refused.

It all depends on the cause of AP, which is often a mystery.

If the reason was to investigate/verify documents, it could be weeks to months. If the reason is they don't believe it is a bona fide relationship, it could be days to months. If the reason is background checks, it could be anywhere from weeks to over a year.

For instance, many people in AP from Pakistan go through AP for background checks that take several months. In those cases, they should be approved if and when the check comes back clear. AP isn't because anything was wrong or concerning with their case.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
18 hours ago, dray said:

I know from reading these other posts that administrative processing after the consulate interview is  a blind spot and no one knows what's going on except to wait it out , but I was wondering if the length of the processing time might be a clue . What is the longest someone has been in AP and been ultimately approved ( or denied)  ? We're at nearly 3 months now , and i'm trying to gauge if the passing of more time is  a good or bad sign .

60 days then you have to contact with them to ask about it and about denial have no idea as above some users mentioned it could take a year and get approved they are checking background and stuff..i hope it get approved soon and you be with  your loved one🙂

Edited by AdeelNaz

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
18 hours ago, dray said:

you don't rely on clues

you rely on information given at interview

did they keep passport

did they ask for more documentation

did they say approved or denied

did they give 221g 

with white paper means denied

with pink paper   

with blue paper

if they wanted more documeents,  did you label them with your case number,  both names and both DOB's before sending them to embassy

if so,  did you get ackownledgement the embassy recd them?

Timeline
18 hours ago, naz.Ammad said:

yes they have his passport since the interview, and i kept emailing them back in May and June so one day they ask me to send my husband's siblings info( dont ask me why cuz i dont no myself), which i send on the same day, few updates on CEAC after that but  no response, i just email again this morning, so lets see wht they say.

Siblings as they want to know if any are in the US and they arranged the marriage for you to get a visa

and other reason could be security check on them / this would be so country dependent

Timeline

and i know of 1 VJ member a year in AP CR1 visa not like your K1

the man had worked in Saudi and saudi only gives criminal reports to citzens so the Deptartment of State had to do an extensive security check

BTW AP can also mean (for K1 especially) that the case is coming back to the US 

Timeline
1 hour ago, adil-rafa said:

you don't rely on clues

you rely on information given at interview

did they keep passport

did they ask for more documentation

did they say approved or denied

did they give 221g 

with white paper means denied

with pink paper   

with blue paper

if they wanted more documeents,  did you label them with your case number,  both names and both DOB's before sending them to embassy

if so,  did you get ackownledgement the embassy recd them?

I see that the OP’s country is Haiti & 221g’s are different at every consulate I believe. For example my embassy is Haiti as well & our 221g is white but the one given is either to request more info/documents or is given because they need to do further work on your case. I think the other one they give will flat out tell you, your visa has been denied under section....

@dray did you receive any documents from the CO after the interview?? Any insight on how you or the beneficiary interview went? 

I’ve been in AP since Sept. 19th. First my fiancé was told that the divorce date on the translated document I provided with my K1 packet doesn’t match the date on his official divorce  documents 🙄. The date on my I-129F app matched the date on his divorce documents but the focused on the mistake from the translating company who was off by ONE day. (They put 8/30/15 instead of 8/31/15) I didn’t even catch that when I originally sent it through USCIS. (Unfortunately, error was caught at the Embassy stage). So although my fiancé said the interview went great, they gave him a 221g with no documents requested & CO said they need to check my fiancé’s divorce info at the national archive & they’ll get back to him. (I’ll insert pic of form received below.) I sent an email with an updated translated form and a cover letter explanation from ASAPtranslate admitting to their mistake. Then after about a week, they sent me an email saying that following the interview they told my fiancé to provide confirmation of divorce at the national archive (which isn’t true they told him to just wait) and for us to send it through DHL, which we did along with his passport since it was checked off to do so at the bottom of our 221g if more documents were requested. My case has been updated twice since the sept. 19th. We sent documents in on oct 10th, updated/received oct 12th & it updated once again yesterday oct. 19th but I’m still in AP. I’m hoping the next update is a positive change in status. 

Our 221g looked like this:769B0FEA-3465-47D0-80C0-092E6D4317B0.thumb.jpeg.28ce9c8c51849d003f192267f597752c.jpeg59A10D59-2EDF-4712-B94F-B146ACBD91F4.thumb.jpeg.8f95f8bee6f5d44d5c42a94e572cb06e.jpeg

Edited by gsdc23

Timeline
3 minutes ago, gsdc23 said:

I see that the OP’s country is Haiti & 221g’s are different at every consulate I believe. For example my embassy is Haiti as well & our 221g is white but the one given is either to request more info/documents or is given because they need to do further work on your case. I think the other one they give will flat out tell you, your visa has been denied under section....

@dray did you receive any documents from the CO after the interview?? Any insight of you or the beneficiary interview? 

I’ve been in AP since Sept. 19th. First my fiancé was told that the divorce date on the translated document I provided with my K1 packet doesn’t match the date on his official divorce  documents 🙄. The date on my I-129F app matched the date on his divorce documents but the focused on the mistake from the translating company who was off by ONE day. (They put 8/30/15 instead of 8/31/15) I didn’t even catch that when I originally sent it through USCIS. (Unfortunately, error was caught at the Embassy stage). So although my fiancé said the interview went great, they gave him a 221g with no documents requested & CO said they need to check my fiancé’s divorce info at the national archive & they’ll get back to him. (I’ll insert pic of form received below.) I sent an email with an updated translated form and a cover letter explanation from ASAPtranslate admitting to their mistake. Then after about a week, they sent me an email saying that following the interview they told my fiancé to provide confirmation of divorce at the national archive (which isn’t true they told him to just wait) and for us to send it through DHL, which we did along with his passport since it was checked off to do so at the bottom of our 221g if more documents were requested. My case has been updated twice since the sept. 19th. We sent documents in on oct 10th, updated/received oct 12th & it updated once again yesterday oct. 19th but I’m still in AP. I’m hoping the next update is a positive change in status. 

Our 221g looked like this:769B0FEA-3465-47D0-80C0-092E6D4317B0.thumb.jpeg.28ce9c8c51849d003f192267f597752c.jpeg59A10D59-2EDF-4712-B94F-B146ACBD91F4.thumb.jpeg.8f95f8bee6f5d44d5c42a94e572cb06e.jpeg

they are different and depending on visa type 

there are green and blue and every color

but if denied a white one is given

that is why i asked only what color and did not say what pink and blue meant

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

My husband was in AP for 9 weeks. I've seen people from Pakistan in AP for years upon years.

Each country is different, each case is different.

Timeline

the important thing here is "Did you all label the documents you had to submit after the interview?"  so they go with your case packet

and at least you know 55 K1's were approved in August / more than many countries so you are probably just going thru a process for approval

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.