Emillychen

Wil I get deported?

25 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, although I've been following this forum for a while.

I have a problem and need to ask around everyone here.

I'm a violin teacher (I have a Master Degree in Music) and my h1b will be up for 1 year extension next year (I got my h1b visa at 2013) and the school I was hired, asked me to wait when I asked them for greencard process, yes they just done one this year, so far my coworker was the first they ever sponsored for greencard.

Anyway, as a violin teacher in private after school academy, my salary is just okay and I have provide private lesson since 2013, now I have about 15 private students outside the academy and they all paid me cash.

But recently, my 3 former private students (i got into disagreement with their parents and we are no longer in speaking term now) and they were snooping around my background and found out that I'm not supposed to have side job.

I feel they will report me to USCIS and I did put my resume and my picture on thumbtack.com and has reviews there for the lesson I provide, and the website said I got hired 20 times there.

Do you think USCIS will get notice about it if someone did report me? Will they deport me right away? or just warning?

How long usually for them to notify me ?

I know I shouldn't do this but whats done is done, and I do have to make a living.

Please don't criticize me, I know I'm at fault and I really need an input here.

Thank you! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

You said that they paid you in cash. I am not sure if USCIS will come after you or could use this against you if there is no proof of work/payment. 

3 hours ago, Emillychen said:

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, although I've been following this forum for a while.

I have a problem and need to ask around everyone here.

I'm a violin teacher (I have a Master Degree in Music) and my h1b will be up for 1 year extension next year (I got my h1b visa at 2013) and the school I was hired, asked me to wait when I asked them for greencard process, yes they just done one this year, so far my coworker was the first they ever sponsored for greencard.

Anyway, as a violin teacher in private after school academy, my salary is just okay and I have provide private lesson since 2013, now I have about 15 private students outside the academy and they all paid me cash.

But recently, my 3 former private students (i got into disagreement with their parents and we are no longer in speaking term now) and they were snooping around my background and found out that I'm not supposed to have side job.

I feel they will report me to USCIS and I did put my resume and my picture on thumbtack.com and has reviews there for the lesson I provide, and the website said I got hired 20 times there.

Do you think USCIS will get notice about it if someone did report me? Will they deport me right away? or just warning?

How long usually for them to notify me ?

I know I shouldn't do this but whats done is done, and I do have to make a living.

Please don't criticize me, I know I'm at fault and I really need an input here.

Thank you! 

There’s not much you can do about it now, however you should note that doing work you are not supposed to means that you have violated your status and as far as I know that makes you ineligible to adjust status to a permanent resident within the US. Out of interest, did you declare and pay tax on the income on your tax returns?

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

What's done is done.  

Choosing to violate the terms of your work visa and cheating on your taxes have consequences.

ICE don't give warnings.  No one can tell you what will happen to you.  You could slip under the radar or ICE can show up to arrest you.  

Will you honestly declare your illegal work on the green card application or are you planning on lying to get a green card?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Your H1b only allows you to work for your Employer, so yes it could be an issue.

The IRS aspect is unlikely to be an Immigration issue.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
5 hours ago, Emillychen said:

This is what you said

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

10 minutes ago, Emillychen said:

my question is, since i never reported my income, than will they ever know if i have a side job? 

i know they can look up online but there's no proof that i did actually receive money from it , i just hopping thats the case.

So you worked illegally and hid income from the IRS and you want us to help you with that? Are you aware of the consequences of misrepresentation on an immigration application?

i thought H1B jobs were supposed to have some kind of minimum income that was supposed to be enough to live on by the way, so it’s confusing that you had to take other work to help you survive.

Edited by SusieQQQ

im not asking for help, im asking for advice, im not the only doing this, i know that for sure.

i aware that i'm not supposed to work beside what listed on my h1b, but the situation is not ideal for me and never in my mind, my students would ever report me.

like i said please don't judge me, because of this, im stopping any lesson at the moment and try to find replacement for all my private students.

it is not a pleasant experience for me.

and music teacher is not high salary as engineer and with the cost of living, any extra income is always welcomed, yes i know, im not supposed to.

thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Your choices are pretty simple:

1.  Tell the truth on your H1B renewal application, that you worked outside your approved job and earned private lesson income.  In this case you will probably be denied and you will have to leave the country, but you might be able to try and come back in five or ten years depending on the policy.

2.  The alternative is to commit fraud by not including your outside income on your H1B application, and in this case you take on the BIG RISK of getting caught (especially if an unhappy parent reports you), and if that happens you also have to leave and will most likely never be able to return, even as a tourist, for misrepresentation.

Only you can decide what to do, but most VJ members, including me, will recommend option #1.

Good luck.

Okay, i know, thats why im asking around.

I cant erase what I posted on thumbtack and i know it will be used against me.

im preparing myself, that why Im asking around to know what to expect.

i will try to follow the advice carmel34 (no.1) and will try to prepare everything now and finding replacement for my students both at academy and private.

i could expect soon in 7 days or months later, now it just matter of time when they decided to follow up.

thank you!

Immigration makes no distinction between a regular job and one-off paid employment experiences. Both are work, even if it's not a "job", which is not authorized.

Read all questions literally and answer honestly. There is not a "little" violating status....it's black & white for USCIS - either you did or you didn't violate status.

Keep in mind it is against the VJ TOS to condone illegal immigration activities in any way, shape, or form.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.