Jenane

Is meeting once is enough for filing for k1 visa?

29 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 minute ago, bakphx1 said:

Morocco is a high fraud country where men harvest dating websites for women they can railroad into a quick visa.  So...you may want to have your case not look like exactly like that.

Sad but very true.

Many have divorced the USC "love of their life" on the very day of GC delivery. 

Honest-Love-Respect

2 hours ago, Derik-Lina said:

Sad but very true.

Many have divorced the USC "love of their life" on the very day of GC delivery. 

That is not limited to Morocco, just be sure, love is available afar, just don't be blinded by it and ignore common sense

On 10/16/2018 at 8:46 PM, RJandHamid said:

While yes, you only need to meet once within the past 2 years to be eligible to file the I-129F, it is highly recommend that you have more than 1 visit before filing, simply because Casablanca is a tough consulate. Very few K1s are approved, and the ones that are are ones that do have many visits as well as few of the red flags (large age difference is one of the most common ones) that are sometimes seen in cases there. 

My husband is Moroccan and he came to the USA on a K1 visa last year. I visited him 4 times before we filed the K1 petition. I know a small number of people who were approved with only 1 visit, but that is a very rare occurrence these days. 

Also, have you considered the spousal visa route? It would require you to marry in Morocco and may take a few months longer, but it is ultimately the better, cheaper and generally more successful visa, especially in Morocco. 

RJandHamid

As usual thanks everyone for the prompt response.

Knowing flight tickets (damn expensive) and PTO my girlfriend can only visit twice a year,  and she has 3 years old baby who needs someone to watch over her ( I don’t know if this explains the number of visits and days spent together to the officer comes the interview .)

I wonder what are the option we have? 

1- file for CR1 from first visit and do a second visit? 

2- wait until the 2nd visit and file for K1 visa?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Can she not bring the Baby with her?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I'd say wait to file no matter which route you choose. You can spend the first visit getting to know each other. I still recommend going the CR1 route, so I'd marry on a 2nd visit, or later if you can wait. 

We all know the struggle to take time off from work. I also did 2 visits each year. We could have filed the K1 petition sooner, but I chose to wait after doing research here on VJ and ultimately decided that even though waiting longer to file was hard, having to face a denial would have been even more heartbreaking and stressful.

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
2 hours ago, Jenane said:

RJandHamid

As usual thanks everyone for the prompt response.

Knowing flight tickets (damn expensive) and PTO my girlfriend can only visit twice a year,  and she has 3 years old baby who needs someone to watch over her ( I don’t know if this explains the number of visits and days spent together to the officer comes the interview .)

I wonder what are the option we have? 

1- file for CR1 from first visit and do a second visit? 

2- wait until the 2nd visit and file for K1 visa?

If you want to be together, then take the time to do it right.  Multiple visits.  

If you rush things, you may get a denial and make things way harder for the two of you.  Once you get tagged as not having a bona fide relationship, it will be way harder to prove otherwise.  

Do it right with multiple visits or half ### it with one or two brief visits and deal with the fallout.  

2 hours ago, Jenane said:

No, she can’t due to flight tickets are expensive. 

Yes, dating and marrying someone overseas is expensive.  Immigration is expensive.  Will it not also be a huge red flag that you have not met her child? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Yes, dating and marrying someone overseas is expensive.  Immigration is expensive.

And supporting your spouse for 4-6 months while they can't legally work is expensive (more than another visit is, almost certainly; and even if you do a CR-1 so you can legally work right away, it will probably take some time to find a job in the US).

And weddings are expensive if you're not just going to have a courthouse wedding and call it a day.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Timeline

Thinking back on it travel expenses was a relatively small percentage of the total cost.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

On 10/19/2018 at 12:22 AM, Jorgedig said:

Yes, dating and marrying someone overseas is expensive.  Immigration is expensive.  Will it not also be a huge red flag that you have not met her child? 

We discussed bringing the baby but she said that 15 hours flight can be difficult for a year old girl. 

Edited by Jenane

Timeline

Is there one baby or two?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.