jackyjimenez

OCTOBER AOS 2018 Filers

2,281 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, audaud said:

Sorry this is probably a dumb question, but doesn’t everyone send their AOS package to the Chicago address on the Uscis site? 

No it depends on their Visa category. ALL K1s will send it to Chicago. Does that answer your question?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
14 minutes ago, audaud said:

Sorry this is probably a dumb question, but doesn’t everyone send their AOS package to the Chicago address on the Uscis site? 

They all get filled there but they end up waiting for interview at your local office which is where the real wait is. Family based AOS in Raleigh is currently at 6-14.5 months according to USCIS which is low compared to most but VisaJourney timelines have them even faster closer to 4 months.

Timeline

@audaud checked USCIS for Tuscon processing times listed at 11-23 months 

https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

October 2017 K1 Visa & October 2018 AOS filer here!

Just want to share my timeline:

* Aug. 27 - Entered the US

* Sept. 17 - Got married!❤

* Oct. 2 - Applied for SSN in Clifton, NJ (Tried to apply with my married name. They said I had to update the Immigration as I am already married. They were all obviously clueless about what to do with a K1 visa holder and just wanted me to go.)

* Oct. 4 - Applied for SSN in Paterson, NJ (I decided to apply with my maiden name hoping I will not have any problem later on. They said they have to do a manual verification and asked me to wait for around 4 weeks for the card in the mail.)

* Oct. 9 - Sent my I-485, I-765 & I-131 forms

* Oct. 16 - USPS Tracking says package has been received

* Oct. 19 - Received 3 texts from USCIS

* Oct. 24 - Received 3 NOAs from USCIS through mail

Wishing everyone here lots and lots of patience!

Timeline
38 minutes ago, PME & MCGA said:

* Oct. 2 - Applied for SSN in Clifton, NJ (Tried to apply with my married name. They said I had to update the Immigration as I am already married. They were all obviously clueless about what to do with a K1 visa holder and just wanted me to go.)

* Oct. 4 - Applied for SSN in Paterson, NJ (I decided to apply with my maiden name hoping I will not have any problem later on. They said they have to do a manual verification and asked me to wait for around 4 weeks for the card in the mail.)

Welcome to the group.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Does anyone know do I need to wait for the SSN card arrive to get marry?

Will I get the SSN at the office immediately?  Then I can book the offical wedding ceremony at a city hall?

Thank you

59 minutes ago, PME & MCGA said:

* Oct. 2 - Applied for SSN in Clifton, NJ (Tried to apply with my married name. They said I had to update the Immigration as I am already married. They were all obviously clueless about what to do with a K1 visa holder and just wanted me to go.) Actually SSA was correct in denying you an SSN in your married name. Your i94 name would not match the info USCIS has on file for you...hence why you were able to go back and apply in your maiden name. You can only apply in your maiden name and change it later (but before your I94 expires) to your married name. That is the correct process...the process at SSA and the one explained here on VJ.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
19 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Sorry, but I did read different forums here on VJ and other websites about married K1 visa holders applying for SSN under their married names. There were some who succeeded in obtaining one just by presenting their marriage certificates, which I did the first time. They said success of getting one depends on how competent agents are. If you’re right, then I don’t know which agent was the compent and which was not.😅 But really, I should have just applied sooner (2-3 weeks from arrival and still unmarried) under my maiden name. Thanks for the info. though!😊

2 hours ago, PME & MCGA said:

Sorry, but I did read different forums here on VJ and other websites about married K1 visa holders applying for SSN under their married names. There were some who succeeded in obtaining one just by presenting their marriage certificates, which I did the first time. They said success of getting one depends on how competent agents are. If you’re right, then I don’t know which agent was the compent and which was not.😅 But really, I should have just applied sooner (2-3 weeks from arrival and still unmarried) under my maiden name. Thanks for the info. though!😊

Most who apply after marriage neglect to say that they are only renewing their SSN in their married name though after they have already obtained one in their maiden name OR they are male and did not have a name change if you look closely. 

The names have to match. The only other way about it is to do what you did and neglect to tell them your correct marital status.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline
16 hours ago, PME & MCGA said:

I mailed mines oct 17 and uscis recvd Oct 19 as of today havent received notice or text or emails the check hasnt been cashed neither should i contact them?

Timeline
1 hour ago, DIVITA said:

I mailed mines oct 17 and uscis recvd Oct 19 as of today havent received notice or text or emails the check hasnt been cashed neither should i contact them?

No I don't think so. You will probably see some movement by Monday.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I mailed mine on Oct 15th and they received it on Oct 18th but I have not received any texts and I still have not gotten the return receipt. Anybody with the same dates who have not heard anything?

By the sounds of the posts I see numerous times daily here, we are all under the assumption that our NOA1 will come quickly and are subconsciously comparing the timing to that of the timing for our K1 NOA1's. 

I think we need to be a little more patient this time around.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.