jackyjimenez

OCTOBER AOS 2018 Filers

2,281 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, Lebanese23 said:

how do you avoid manual verification? I am planning to check SAVE CaseCheck before heading to the SS office. is the the best way?

No. It all depends on what your I94 says (and if its correct), how your passport bio page, K1 Visa page and your Birth Certificate is formatted (if those are the documents you use to apply). AND if you have a competent SSA Agent. 

Most I94s are incorrectly filled out by CBP in that they either input your given name plus your middle name as your Given/First Name or they omit your middle name entirely on the I94. 

If the SSA Agent goes to input this info into the SSA form, of course it wont match with what USCIS has for you. And you can do nothing to correct it with the SSA Agent right then and there. They wont let you. 

You cant avoid a manual verification really. It just happens when the SSA agent doesn't understand how to read your documents because they are in an unfamiliar format. 

MV is just a little extra step. Not really a big deal if you've applied plenty of time before marriage. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hey everybody! This is my first post on this site!

My wife Lucia and I were married on October 6th and concurrently filed an I-130, I-485, and I-765 on the 19th. We're holding off on the I-693 until we get an RFE. UPS says our docs were delivered to the Chicago lockbox today! I'm hoping we'll get a quick E-notification like some other folks around here...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Costa Rica
Timeline
13 hours ago, BnK said:

Same thing happened to me waited more than 7 weeks until i finally decided to go visit the office ( i did call at least twice a week after the 4th week to follow up; the person over the phone wasnt so friendly and for some reason was asking me for some work authorization). At the office, I reiterated that we are on K1, I think they were misguided with our process. I got my SSN card after 5 days on the mail after that visit

I’ll go if this week I don’t get it. Since my I-94 is already expired I am kind of nervous they say they can’t give it to me. But I’ll definitely try

31-08-2017 ---   I-129F SENT

3 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

No. It all depends on what your I94 says (and if its correct), how your passport bio page, K1 Visa page and your Birth Certificate is formatted (if those are the documents you use to apply). AND if you have a competent SSA Agent. 

Most I94s are incorrectly filled out by CBP in that they either input your given name plus your middle name as your Given/First Name or they omit your middle name entirely on the I94. 

If the SSA Agent goes to input this info into the SSA form, of course it wont match with what USCIS has for you. And you can do nothing to correct it with the SSA Agent right then and there. They wont let you. 

You cant avoid a manual verification really. It just happens when the SSA agent doesn't understand how to read your documents because they are in an unfamiliar format. 

MV is just a little extra step. Not really a big deal if you've applied plenty of time before marriage. 

question : would manual verification correct the issue of cbp using your first and middle name as your first name on the I94? 

42 minutes ago, DeepakChani said:

question : would manual verification correct the issue of cbp using your first and middle name as your first name on the I94? 

Good Question! I just went and checked my current Admission Record annnnd NOPE!

My "Given (First) Name" is still my First and Middle names combined and I've already received my SSN. I guess that's just how they do it. 

I should mention that the Canadian Passport (which is obviously the document I used to enter the US) states my Given Names as my First and Middle names. There is no delegation for middle name so I presume that's why my I94 is input that way is causing problems for the match when applying for the SSN. 

Nothing you can really do about it but sit out Manual Verification. And be sure to apply as soon as you can upon arrival and as single if you're a female just in case your MV comes back as denied for some absurd reason so you have some time to straighten it out before you marry and before your I94 expires. That happened a few days ago to someone and now they have to wait for EAD to get the SSN.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

14 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

My "Given (First) Name" is still my First and Middle names combined and I've already received my SSN. I guess that's just how they do it. 

I should mention that the Canadian Passport (which is obviously the document I used to enter the US) states my Given Names as my First and Middle names. There is no delegation for middle name so I presume that's why my I94 is input that way is causing problems for the match when applying for the SSN. 

Nothing you can really do about it but sit out Manual Verification. And be sure to apply as soon as you can upon arrival and as single if you're a female just in case your MV comes back as denied for some absurd reason so you have some time to straighten it out before you marry and before your I94 expires. That happened a few days ago to someone and now they have to wait for EAD to get the SSN.

Thanks for the awesome explanation. Just curious, did you have to do MV too? 

48 minutes ago, DeepakChani said:

Thanks for the awesome explanation. Just curious, did you have to do MV too? 

Thanks and Yip. It took 21 plus days. I have it now and have to attempt to change it to my new married name. My I94 doesnt expire until Nov 22nd so hopefully when we go next week we dont have any further issues.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Could I have problems since my I-94 already expired? I mean when I went there to get it i had a month left. So horrible if I get in trouble because of their delay. SAVE says that is in Maryland and I went today and yesterday to SSN office and there was a huge line out of the building. 

Edited by jackyjimenez

31-08-2017 ---   I-129F SENT

11 minutes ago, jackyjimenez said:

Could I have problems since my I-94 already expired? I mean when I went there to get it i had a month left. So horrible if I get in trouble because of their delay. SAVE says that is in Maryland and I went today and yesterday to SSN office and there was a huge line out of the building. 

You could have problems if it was denied for some absurd reason and sent back to the SSA. I've seen that happen once recently (a denial after manual verification) because then you would have no time to reapply with your I94 expired now. 

I bet you your card has been produced though and it's just some clerical error on SSA's part.

Usually the line up is a bit misleading. 

Ie if the office opens at 9 everybody will line up at 830. Security let's them all in at 8:50 and there is usually enough windows open to get everyone in and out in an hour. 

Check your local SSA site on Google where it will show how busy it is between certain hours on certain days and then plan your trip accordingly. You have to go. Cant avoid it hunny. 

59 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Thanks and Yip. It took 21 plus days. I have it now and have to attempt to change it to my new married name. My I94 doesnt expire until Nov 22nd so hopefully when we go next week we dont have any further issues.

Was the reason they had to do the MV because they had a name mismatch? that's the reason they told me why they needed to do a MV. 

17 minutes ago, DeepakChani said:

Was the reason they had to do the MV because they had a name mismatch? that's the reason they told me why they needed to do a MV. 

They couldn't have told you why they had to do an MV. Basically the SSA agent inputs your data and "the system" will tell them whether or not they can produce a card for you right away or you will need MV. They can tell you what they ASSUME has happened to require MV but their screen wont say why.

I've posted what I thought my reasons for MV was before but here it is again:

1. My name on the I94 was incorrect like most ppl's as stated above.

2. The SSA Agent input my given name as "first name + middle name + CAN" as that's what my passport says ("CAN" refers to Canada but the agent had no clue how to read my passport).

3. The SSA Agent could not fit my father's full name in the blanks on his computer so he left out a letter to make it fit.

I had to sign off on what he input even though it was wrong and told him so. He said there was nothing he could do about it.

There is nothing we can do to fix or avoid MV. It's just the way the system is set up.

Only thing we can hope for is to:

1. Have no middle name at all so CBP doesnt screw it up.

2. Have a passport who's format is similar to a US passport so the slowpokes at SSA can, self righteously, figure it out.

3. Have parents with normal short names and home addresses with equally short names so SSA cant give you an excuse that the letters dont fit.

There is nothing you can do to prevent MV. The systems of USCIS and SSA and CBP are not aligned with each other so it's their issue. Not ours.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

On 10/18/2018 at 10:09 PM, audaud said:

Looks like this is my new thread to follow! Filed our AOS on October 15th, 2018. Hello everyone! 🙋‍♀️

Tonight I received 3 text messages all saying our case was received with receipt number! I'm glad I finally heard something back! I entered the receipts into the case tracker and should be getting letters in the mail soon. Yayyy :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
15 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

@jackyjimenez What happened with me...I got my SSN before marriage, but we didn't get married immediately, and I waited to try to change my name on SSN until it was too close to my I-94 expiry so they wouldn't change my name. They also took my old SSN card when I went in to apply for the name change. I wish they had told me in the office that they couldn't do it, instead of taking the application, taking my SSN card, and then me finding out later by calling that it won't be changed because it was too close to my I-94 expiring. At the end of the day, it doesn't affect anything, because I can't work until EAD comes in anyway, so I will just wait and see if I get one from checking the box in AOS package. 

I wanted to change my name on my Canadian Passport, but apparently I need my SSN and Drivers License in my new name to do that. 

Edited by NikkiMarie

K-1 Visa AOS Timeline:

Date format is MM/DD/YY

10/18/18 - Sent AOS Package to Chicago

10/25/18 - USCIS took AOS fee (credit card payment)

10/30/18 - NOA1 Text Messages Received

11/02/18 - Biometrics Appointment Letter & NOA1 Hard Copies Received

11/13/18 - Biometrics Appointment

11/13/18 - Received RFIE (forgot to include husband’s full tax return)

11/13/18 - AOS status updated to "On November 13, We Sent You A Request For Initial Evidence"

11/29/18 - RFIE response delivered to USCIS

03/25/19 - AOS status updated to "Ready To Be Scheduled For Interview"

04/02/19 - AOS status updated to "Interview Was Scheduled"

04/04/19 - Received Interview Letter

05/07/19 - Green Card Interview - Baltimore (did not get on the spot approval)

05/07/19 - AOS status updated to "Interview Was Completed And My Case Must Be Reviewed"

05/29/19 - EAD status updated to "New Card Is Being Produced"

06/01/19 - EAD & AP 1-797 hard copies received

06/02/19 - EAD status updated to "Card Was Mailed To Me"

06/03/19 - Received updated SSN card with married name.

06/03/19 - EAD status updated to "Card Was Picked Up By USPS"

06/04/19 - EAD status updated to "Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office"

06/04/19 - Received Combo Card in the mail

07/13/19 - AOS status updated to "New Card Is Being Produced"

07/16/19 - AOS status updated to "Card Was Mailed To Me"

07/17/19 - AOS status updated to "Card Was Picked Up By USPS"

07/19/19 - AOS status updated to "Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office"

07/19/19 - Received Green Card in the mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
14 hours ago, jackyjimenez said:

Not too sure about having issues, but did they give you a letter with a Ref No on it when you left the office? If so, instead of waiting in queue you could give a call to the number on that letter and they'll ask you for the Ref No and check on your case for you. I had worries because it reached the 4 weeks that they told me and I had, had no SSN in the post. On the phone they told me I was assigned a number just the day before and the card was on it's way. Due to security they can't give the number to you over the phone but at least it might give you some peace of mind?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.