PhoenixBlaque

Temporary Denial- Today's Interview

46 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi everyone!

So, we received a temporary denial today at the interview.  The consular officer stated that I need a joint sponsor.  The thing is, I make twice what the minimum is for my family size.  I don't understand it.  Apparently, I efficiently front loaded our information and the officer didn't ask for much except to see our pictures. 

Has anyone else gone through this?

Why isn't my income sufficient?

After I submit the joint sponsor, how long will it take for them to review (I'm planning to submit the sponsor information tomorrow at the latest)?

The officer kept the passports- is that a good sign?

I'm slightly devastated.  I sent my current job salary information back to them and asked additional questions.  I don't know if they'll respond though.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Is your current job/salary new? If it's not new (you've been there well over a year), did you provide enough evidence showing the length of your salary/job?

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
7 minutes ago, PhoenixBlaque said:

Hi everyone!

So, we received a temporary denial today at the interview.  The consular officer stated that I need a joint sponsor.  The thing is, I make twice what the minimum is for my family size.  I don't understand it.  Apparently, I efficiently front loaded our information and the officer didn't ask for much except to see our pictures. 

Has anyone else gone through this?

Why isn't my income sufficient?

After I submit the joint sponsor, how long will it take for them to review (I'm planning to submit the sponsor information tomorrow at the latest)?

The officer kept the passports- is that a good sign?

I'm slightly devastated.  I sent my current job salary information back to them and asked additional questions.  I don't know if they'll respond though.

Just curious, what is your adjusted gross income on 2017 tax form? 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Paul & Mallory said:

Is your current job/salary new? If it's not new (you've been there well over a year), did you provide enough evidence showing the length of your salary/job?

Yes, less than a year. I think they looked at net, maybe?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, PhoenixBlaque said:

• Tax return gives them some idea what your adjusted gross income is - this income that may be used to support additional household member.  For example, many people with 1099-MISC file their tax forms with 60k but after deduction, their reported incomes are 30k-40k due to their high expenditures.
  • Current earning is very important but they may look to determine if it is a stable one.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
6 minutes ago, PhoenixBlaque said:

You don't have to publish your exact income but what's your family size and FPL level relative to the number of members of your household?

I believe it will be processed very fast, in a matter of weeks as NVC is in charge of this, not USCIS. You should be rescheduled for next month if you submit the joint sponsor information asap.

6 minutes ago, PhoenixBlaque said:

That may be it. Employment longevity (or lack there of) could have played a role in the decision.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
3 hours ago, laowainelson said:

You don't have to publish your exact income but what's your family size and FPL level relative to the number of members of your household?

I believe it will be processed very fast, in a matter of weeks as NVC is in charge of this, not USCIS. You should be rescheduled for next month if you submit the joint sponsor information asap.

A few weeks is correct but NVC will not be involved in evaluating anything once the case has been sent to the Consulate.  A Consular Officer will do the evaluation.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
3 hours ago, RTLE said:
  • Tax return gives them some idea what your adjusted gross income is - this income that may be used to support additional household member.  For example, many people with 1099-MISC file their tax forms with 60k but after deduction, their reported incomes are 30k-40k due to their high expenditures.
  • Current earning is very important but they may look to determine if it is a stable one.

Current income for an "employed" person does not come from a tax return.  Tax returns are about the past.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
8 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Current income for an "employed" person does not come from a tax return.  Tax returns are about the past.

I understand but it should have some merits to the decision, otherwise, they can simply ask proof of current income instead of asking 3 years tax return to be submitted 

Timeline
Just now, RTLE said:

I understand but it should have some merits to the decision, otherwise, they can simply ask proof of current income instead of asking 3 years tax return to be submitted 

They ask for both, but the tax return still says nothing about "current income".  Current income is documented with a current pay stub or/and an employer letter.  You could have made six figures in 2017, and the two years before that, but if you lost your job last week, your "current income" is ZERO.  Consular Officers make a judgment based on the totality of circumstances, including PAST income.  That's why "information" from THREE tax returns is required, but only ONE tax return or transcript is required to be submitted.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Did you send the WHOLE tax return or just the first couple of pages (summary)?   I initially sent just the "summary" and received an RFE on "income".  I then sent the entire tax return with a letter of explanation.  I'm a business owner so I have Business income and Personal income.   They approved after the 2nd set of documents I sent.   PS - make sure you send CURRENT year income verification (2018).  A tax return shows income for 2017.  

Timeline
36 minutes ago, Jon&Margz said:

Did you send the WHOLE tax return or just the first couple of pages (summary)?   I initially sent just the "summary" and received an RFE on "income".  I then sent the entire tax return with a letter of explanation.  I'm a business owner so I have Business income and Personal income.   They approved after the 2nd set of documents I sent.   PS - make sure you send CURRENT year income verification (2018).  A tax return shows income for 2017.  

Terminology is important.  There are no questions about "current year" income.  It's "current income".  For a self employed person like yourself, "current income" comes from line 22 of the 1040 for 2017.  For an employed person, current income comes from a pay stub.

This issue came up at interview, not at NVC, so how much of the tax return the OP sent is not relevant.  If too little was sent, they would have asked for a complete tax return, not a joint sponsor.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

So I went through my documents and it's my fault.  My business expenses took a chunk out of my AGI.  I think I misinterpreted a question on the I864.  My sponsor is completing forms now.  I'm submitting in the morning and I hope they'll review it quickly... 😕

Edited by PhoenixBlaque

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.