TRISHA80

I 485 denied for advance parole, when can I refile

28 posts in this topic

My mom I 485 was denied because sh was unaware she had to get advance parole, she left and came back with her B2 visa. Her I 130 got approved. Can she refile her I-485 with the approved I130 .

Errr, to be entirely honest, it does not sound like she used the B2 correctly. Refiling the I-485 will only make that extremely clear to USCIS, in my opinion. Perhaps someone more experienced can chime in to provide more insight. Paging @geowrian ...

The I-485 was correctly denied.

If she entered with intent to stay, then it would be fraud to file for AOS (regardless of USCIS's pursuit of checking on this or not).

See the warning in the guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

Edit: To directly answer the question asked, "yes".

At the same time, it would be far faster anyway to use the approved I-130 and obtain an IR-5 visa abroad. Likely a few months really.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

12 minutes ago, geowrian said:

The I-485 was correctly denied.

If she entered with intent to stay, then it would be fraud to file for AOS (regardless of USCIS's pursuit of checking on this or not).

See the warning in the guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

Edit: To directly answer the question asked, "yes".

At the same time, it would be far faster anyway to use the approved I-130 and obtain an IR-5 visa abroad. Likely a few months really.

I know everyone says intent is established at the border. But I'm sure there are cases in which it is clear (or clearer than usual) that intentions were misrepresented. In this case, the mom was in the middle of AoS, accidentally abandoned AP and then returned with B2. If she were to file I-485 right now, I feel like that would be extremely suspicious and would throw her intentions into question. I don't know how AoS interviews for parents are conducted but is it possible the IO would question the mom about her intent in this case?? If I were an IO, I probably would but that's just me.

14 minutes ago, mushroomspore said:

I know everyone says intent is established at the border. But I'm sure there are cases in which it is clear (or clearer than usual) that intentions were misrepresented. In this case, the mom was in the middle of AoS, accidentally abandoned AP and then returned with B2. If she were to file I-485 right now, I feel like that would be extremely suspicious and would throw her intentions into question. I don't know how AoS interviews for parents are conducted but is it possible the IO would question the mom about her intent in this case?? If I were an IO, I probably would but that's just me.

They likely would not question it given past BIA rulings, nor should it (AFAIK under the law, not personally) be an issue for AOS.

But at the same time, it is still fraud to enter the US with intent to stay/AOS, regardless if one can get away with it..

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sounds like she did it twice.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

It’s only going to stop being an issue if or when all such transgressions stop being automatically forgiven for IRs. 

1 hour ago, geowrian said:

They likely would not question it given past BIA rulings, nor should it (AFAIK under the law, not personally) be an issue for AOS.

But at the same time, it is still fraud to enter the US with intent to stay/AOS, regardless if one can get away with it..

13 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

It’s only going to stop being an issue if or when all such transgressions stop being automatically forgiven for IRs. 

Unlikely to stop in the near future, because, a)USCIS makes money with the i485 fee, and b)transfers workload from US embassy IR interviews. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

46 minutes ago, WeGuyGal said:

Unlikely to stop in the near future, because, a)USCIS makes money with the i485 fee, and b)transfers workload from US embassy IR interviews. 

Well then there is just about zero incentive to follow the rules. Highly annoying for the rest of those who do.

7 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Well then there is just about zero incentive to follow the rules. Highly annoying for the rest of those who do.

Sadly, correct. 

Another incentive for AOS on a B2.. many USEmbs have begun consolidating IV interviews to one location.. think Mumbai, etc. Hassle for an applicant, say in Delhi, to travel/stay in another city. So once a B2 is obtained in Delhi, travel to the US and voila, file AOS from the comfort of home, bypassing Mumbai altogether. 

Edited by WeGuyGal

I-751 journey

6 minutes ago, WeGuyGal said:

Sadly, correct. 

Another incentive for AOS on a B2.. many USEmbs have begun consolidating IV interviews to one location.. think Mumbai, etc. Hassle for an applicant, say in Delhi, to travel/stay in another city. So once a B2 is obtained in Delhi, travel to the US and voila, file AOS from the comfort of home, bypassing Mumbai. 

Flip side is the many genuine B applicants who get denied for not being able to overcome immigrant intent 

19 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Flip side is the many genuine B applicants who get denied for not being able to overcome immigrant intent 

Yep

But devil's advocate.. why would B-approved individuals care about B applicants behind them?  Human instinct is me me me. 

I-751 journey

8 minutes ago, WeGuyGal said:

Yep

But devil's advocate.. why would B-approved individuals care about B applicants behind them?  Human instinct is me me me. 

Of course

but we always get people complaining about how mean the US officials are , not about how their fellow compatriots don’t care about them

But back to the actual topic, tbh i’m surprised the mom got entry ...presumably she wasn’t asked about purpose of entry 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.