Marta Proniagina

pregnancy without health insurance

39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
41 minutes ago, EM_Vandaveer said:

It would not. I had CHIP Perinatal for two babies as a GC holder. GC holders are not eligible for Medicaid, though.

In NY GC holders are eligible for Medicaid if pregnant.  I'm not sure about posters state.  Also I would tell her yo still check Medicaid as the income guidelines are different for pregnant women.  In NY Medicaid goes up to 138% FPL but for pregnant women it is 250%

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Look into local midwives. I had a doctor treat my whole pregnancy and next time will go the midwife route instead. Can be much more cost effective, the care is equally sufficient and sometime arguably even more so (midwives can focus more on you and are generally much more available). A lot of women are having home births these days (provided baby is not breach). You’d have to be comfortable with that of course. There are also birthing centers that don’t incur the kind of costs US hospital stays do. But of course this is all dependent on you being low risk and comfortable with all of the above. 

Pregnancy is a preexisting condition to insurers as a user has already pointed out. Not an ideal circumstance. You’ll have to do some research into your state about what’s available and of course make sure whatever care is available to you is not in conflict with your agreement with the government to avoid benefits. Is there a planned parenthood near you? 

I am in MN. As a Green Card holder, I obtained Pregnancy Medical Insurance through the state. My husband and I were making 65-70k,  and I had health insurance through employer. All the health providers I saw encouraged me to apply although 1. Had not been a MN resident for 5 years, 2. My income was too big. They waivered both requirements. They reimbursed my premium pays and the deducible, so I paid nothing for my pregnancy. This is my experience.

So pregnancy is considered as a preexisting condition for all insurance bought through the healthcare exchanges?

My wife is already pregnant and we'll be moving to the US in a few months, I will get insurance from my employer but if it's a preexisting condition it looks like my only option is to get emergency medicaid after birth?

What about all of the doctor visits, tests and other things that go on before she gives birth? Are we going to have to cover all of that without insurance?

@Marta Proniagina Another option can be giving birth abroad. It may be more affordable. 

ROC

12/11/2018 - I-751 mailed (requested a fee waiver) to Lewisville, TX via FedEx

12/13/2018 - package delivered 

01/02/2019 - received text message from USCIS with case number starting with EAC

01/12/2019 - submitted online e-Request for non-delivery of NOA (the extension letter)

01/24/2019 - received the response to e-Request via e-mail, which says: "Please allow 30 days from the date of this correspondence for the notice to be sent".

01/28/2019 - received NOA (the extension letter), which extends GC for 18 months

01/29/2019 - received biometrics appointment letter

02/08/2019 - biometrics completed

46 minutes ago, hf2018 said:

So pregnancy is considered as a preexisting condition for all insurance bought through the healthcare exchanges?

My wife is already pregnant and we'll be moving to the US in a few months, I will get insurance from my employer but if it's a preexisting condition it looks like my only option is to get emergency medicaid after birth?

What about all of the doctor visits, tests and other things that go on before she gives birth? Are we going to have to cover all of that without insurance?

Obamacare made it so that preexisting conditions are covered.

2nd the contact local health department, we saved upwards of $6000 on my son through a program, Drs have been known to negotiate price any and all options are worth investigating

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country:
Timeline

A lot of people are suggesting ACA through marketplace, but I don't think that's available until the open enrollment period. Although pregnancy may actually be considered a qualifying life event, so OP should certainly look into it. 

State MedicAid rules vary quite a bit, also look into that. 

5/1/2014: I-130 Sent (Nebraska Service Center)

5/23/2015: US Entry :jest:

3/1/2017: Filed i-751 (California Service Center,  transferred to National Benefits Center on 3/13/2018)

2/23/2018: Filed N-400 online at Chicago, IL
10/03/2018: i751-N400  combo interview successful

11/05/2018: Completed Oath Ceremony, Certificate of Naturalization in hand! :jest:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

If someone already suggested this, I apologize as I don't have time to read the entire thread.

My wife became pregnant in 2015 and we didn't have insurance.  We made too much to qualify for Medicaid, so we had to somehow fit the bill.  Luckily, we were able to open enroll into a platinum level coverage via Kaiser Permanente in December or Janurary(can't remember exactly).  While the health insurance payments were nearly a thousand dollars a month, the insurance covered every bill that would have been been 30k out of pocket without insurance.  The following open enrollment, we canceled the platinum plan and enrolled in a cheaper bronze monthly package.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, Kiolas said:

@Marta Proniagina Another option can be giving birth abroad. It may be more affordable. 

True. Another reason (aside from ensuring she has dual) that I gave birth to my daughter in Canada. OP you have 6 months to use an approved K1 visa

45 minutes ago, Mrsjackson said:

True. Another reason (aside from ensuring she has dual) that I gave birth to my daughter in Canada. OP you have 6 months to use an approved K1 visa

Which you can only do as a resident of Canada even if you're a Canadian citizen. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Thank you everyone very much for your comments. I think I'll contact the state privately about my situation and if there are any benefits available.

I'm not thinking about giving birth in Russia (my native country) even though all the bills in total with pregnancy and delivery wouldn't be more than $2000, because I don't want to be separated from my husband for a long time again and I don't want complications with the citizenship process for a future child.

However, I am going to Russia for a week here soon and will do the first check ups there and will contact the Marketplace after I am back.

I really appreciate your experience and advice. Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.