15 posts in this topic

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Hi everyone!

My partner and I are looking at finally closing the gap and applying for the K1 visa so I can be with him.

He is currently unemployed though. He has a best friend that he has known for 20+ years that makes way over the 125% required (he makes around 40k each year). This friend has agreed to be the co sponsor for us.

My only question is will this really affect my chances of being approved? Should I just wait until my partner has a job?

I read a post about someone going to Sydney consulate (about 6 years ago) and they got denied for K1 because they used a friend as a co sponsor. They were told that it had to be a family member, that a friend couldn't be relied on etc.

I'm just wondering how likely it would be for me to get denied and if anyone else has had experience in going through Sydney with their partner's friend as their co sponsor. I'm so worried that if I apply now it will just lead to denial and be a big waste of time :(

Edited by Togekip

As long as the friend is either green card holder or US citizen, you are fine. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Timeline
25 minutes ago, Roel said:

As long as the friend is either green card holder or US citizen, you are fine. 

This gives me some hope! I still have terrible anxiety over it though because of one person's experience 6 years ago. A lot can change in 6 years though :D

Timeline
25 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

The I-134 is just a scam used by USCIS.  

Some embassies don't even ask for it, some accept co sponsor, some embassies let the beneficiaries use their own assets or income.

Just play the game

So are you saying just go for it? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I appreciate all consulates are different, but at London, the CO said they are less concerned about the I-134 with K1's, as you go through this in more detail for the AOS process after you're married to get your green card, at which point if I've read everything correctly you'll need 3 years worth of Tax returns. Someone please correct me if that's wrong though! :) 

I-129F Submitted: 01 November 2017NOA1 Received: 03 November 2017NOA2 Received: 22 May 2018 | NVC Received: 08 June 2018 | Consulate Received: 06 July 2018 | Medical: 27 July 2018 | Interview: 10 August 2018 (APPROVED) | VISA in Hand: 22 August 2018 | POE: 28 September 2018 :joy:

Days between NOA1 until VISA in hand: 292

4 hours ago, Togekip said:

So are you saying just go for it? 

Yep

The I-134 is a non binding document, basically a hoop for someone to jump thru.  I have seen immigration lawyers be the co sponsor.

In Philippines at the US Embassy they haven't requested a I-134 for a few years now, even had the CO tell some applicants it was never really needed in the first place for a K1

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

Timeline
12 hours ago, Lemonslice said:

By the time you have your interview, your fiancé  will most probably have found a job for himself.

What are the rules around this exactly? For example, would it matter at the time of the interview if my fiancé  had only been working for a few months? What if he had been working for a short period where he can't show tax returns etc yet? Is it best for him to work for a year so he can produce a tax return before I have the interview etc? Sorry, I have so many worries! :D

Hello,

just to add a little practicality here for you to consider-there is no social security, medicaid- health care or support for you at all for 10 years once you land in US. If you do have to go on some sort of payment of support from the government, the government will ask your sponsor to pay that money back.

So in applying for the K1, you may get accepted without a problem, but you might need to consider saving a significant amount of money to transfer for yourself to live on, before you arrive in the States.

AOS Timeline
Filed 15th June, 2012
NOA date 18th June
Bio appt 20th July
Transferred to CSC 21st July, 2012
EAD/AP approved 27th August.
Received Green Card 6th October. No Interview. Amazing!
Thanks for all the help, see you again in June 2014

ROC Timeline

Mailed Package 30th June 2014

I-797 received 5th July, 2014

Biometrics Appointment 07/30/2014.

58 minutes ago, Touch of Treble said:

just to add a little practicality here for you to consider-there is no social security, medicaid- health care or support for you at all for 10 years once you land in US. If you do have to go on some sort of payment of support from the government, the government will ask your sponsor to pay that money back.

So in applying for the K1, you may get accepted without a problem, but you might need to consider saving a significant amount of money to transfer for yourself to live on, before you arrive in the States.

A couple clarifications...

1. There is no "10 years" limit. The requirement for several benefits requires 40 qualifying quarters of work. That can be obtained in 5 years or less if you can claim somebody else's credits as well as your own, or it could be never if one does not work and cannot claim anyone else's credits.
  2. Healthcare support is available in many circumstances. Only specific programs such as Medicaid might be limited (federal dollars are prohibited for 5 years, but state & local dollars are permitted).
  3. The repayment only applies to certain means tested benefits. See https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
5 hours ago, geowrian said:

A couple clarifications...

1. There is no "10 years" limit. The requirement for several benefits requires 40 qualifying quarters of work. That can be obtained in 5 years or less if you can claim somebody else's credits as well as your own, or it could be never if one does not work and cannot claim anyone else's credits.
  2. Healthcare support is available in many circumstances. Only specific programs such as Medicaid might be limited (federal dollars are prohibited for 5 years, but state & local dollars are permitted).
  3. The repayment only applies to certain means tested benefits. See https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p.

Geo, thank you for this!

How can you claim another persons credits?

Also, I looked at the 864p... how can we find out which exactly are considered "means tested?

My brother may be sponsoring my fiancé and he is really wanting as much information about all of the specifics as he can get!

but this is a great start!

Edited by <3T&M<3

NOA1 New Site: March 6th, 2018

NOA2: Sept 12th, 2018

Case # available as well as case leaving NVC both on Oct 1st, 2018

Embassy received on Oct 2nd, 2018

Medical Appointment Oct 12th, 2018

Interview at Ankara Embassy on Oct 22nd, 2018 - APPROVED!

POE San Fransisco on Dec 1st, 2018

Married Dec 10th, 2018

NOA for I-485/765/131 Feb 1st, 2019

Interview for I-485 June 19th, 2019 - APPROVED! (Interview was before we received Work Auth Card!)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
21 hours ago, <3T&M<3 said:

See https://www.***removed***/affidavit-of-support/exemptions-exceptions.html

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

On 8/23/2018 at 1:35 AM, Togekip said:

Hi everyone!

My partner and I are looking at finally closing the gap and applying for the K1 visa so I can be with him.

He is currently unemployed though. He has a best friend that he has known for 20+ years that makes way over the 125% required (he makes around 40k each year). This friend has agreed to be the co sponsor for us.

My only question is will this really affect my chances of being approved? Should I just wait until my partner has a job?

I read a post about someone going to Sydney consulate (about 6 years ago) and they got denied for K1 because they used a friend as a co sponsor. They were told that it had to be a family member, that a friend couldn't be relied on etc.

I'm just wondering how likely it would be for me to get denied and if anyone else has had experience in going through Sydney with their partner's friend as their co sponsor. I'm so worried that if I apply now it will just lead to denial and be a big waste of time :(

In all honesty, I can't imagine going through immigration (as the petitioner) whilst unemployed, unless one had enough savings.  It is an expensive process, and with the K-1, the beneficiary will be unable to work for several months after POE.

On 8/28/2018 at 2:04 AM, <3T&M<3 said:

Also, I looked at the 864p... how can we find out which exactly are considered "means tested?

The credits item was answered above. Basically, while married, you can claim a spouse's credits. Or if you are a child, you can claim a parent's credits.

The main list is on the I-864p page. Specific programs outlined there are considered means tested. Some state programs may fall under this since they get federal dollars as well. The state should have documentation of which programs that includes. Unfortunately, there is no combined list of these across states AFAIK.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.