Delilah1726

Fiance or Spouse Visa for Cuba - which is best?

12 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am new to this so bear with me.  I am a US Citizen and my fiance is a Cuban citizen.  We planned on marrying in Cuba so that I could then submit the i130 petition because I was under the impression that that is the "quickest" process (and better chances of approval).  However it seems to me that due to the new Trump administration things have changed and things are getting harder and more confusing.  I see many people have gone the i129 Fiance Visa route but I am not sure if this is because the process is "quicker" or better.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which process is best?

Thank you

3 minutes ago, H&T said:

I-130 is the best choice. It only took 2-3 more month in compare to K1, but you will save a ton of money and time.

Thank you! So now there is a K3 Visa and a CR1 Visa, I read about the differences but is there one suggested over the other?

Again, bear with me... your response is much appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Basically the things to think about are

• How important is it for your fiancé(e) to work and travel internationally quickly after arriving?
  • Can you marry relatively quickly in your country, your fiancé(e)'s country, or a third country?
  • Are you comfortable living apart for a long time while married?
  • If your fiancé(e) has children you'll also be bringing with, what are the legal implications of either visa type?
K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Thank you for your response.

• It is  important that he is able to work quickly after arriving.  I can support us but I want him to start working right away and get acclimated with his new setting.
  • We would be able to marry quickly here in the US since we only have 90 days to marry, I could make that work
  • It would definitely be tough living apart while married but if that is what we have to do in order to get him here sooner then that is a sacrifice I am willing to make.

I know Cuba is very tricky so I am looking at this as what will get us together the quickest and with the best chances of approval.  I don't see why he would ever get denied but I feel like with the relationship that the US has with Cuba... you never know.

Spouse visa. Takes 12 to 14 months but the spouse can work upon arrival. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

The CR-1 is superior to a K-1 in my opinion. Processing times are long, but It has absolutely nothing to do with the Trump administration.  Here is my quick comparison:

K-1

More expensive than CR-1

Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)

Spouse can not leave the US until she receives approved Advance Parole (approx 3-4 months)

Spouse can not work until she receives EAD (approx 3-4 months)

some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period .

Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.

CR-1

Less expensive than K-1

No AOS required.

Spouse can immediately travel outside the US

Spouse can start work if desired

Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card withing 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US

Spouse  has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.

All-in-all, the CR-1 is superior to the K-1 imo.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

Well, I married a Cuban citizen ,, 

if you are a foreigner,  ..

1 very pricey,, 750 dollars at the international buffet, ( aside from other later work) that’s the Cuban government,

2 it is the fastest route for your fiancée/wife .. 

3. You must wait a few days , obtain marriage proof / certificates,

4. Apply I130 us immigration,

5 . You must have proof and translated documents of your spouse ,, 

birthcertificate , address, parents status , 

chlidren if any ? 

Passport updated ( 125 dollars Cuban money ) 

6 lots of patience and time ,, 

takes about 4 to 8 weeks to have all paperwork ready ( Cuba only) 

7 you must have at least 8 passport pictures done ,,  you will be asked many times for passport pictures for your spouse ,, in Cuba 4 in the us 4 

it can vary ,,

8 once you start your process ,, 

fue to changes , 1 year to get your spouse ,,

USCIS, NVC , interviews , 

not including complications you may encounter,,

as as a US CITIZEN, 

the fastest way is marriage ,,, 

fiancee will take 3 to 6 months more ,, 

The cost is a wash when choosing between cr1 and k1 in cuba because if the many steps it takes get your documents ready for marriage in cuba and the actual ceremony itself which will cost about $750. As mentioned above the bigger considerations are do you want your spouse to be able to work, to have a driver's license because some states restrict that to just green card holders and your spouse will not have one for a good while, to be able to go visit cuba when they want or need to immediately. Those are the reasons I chose cr1. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Cuba
Timeline

One other thing to consider (if it's important to you). Tourist visas are hard to come by and expensive to get (given the whole third country embassy) for Cubans, so if you want one wedding with both families (this was very important to me), Cuba is your only option. I also had a wedding for 150+ people. Minus the airfare part (so including my dress, the party, the food, and the paperwork) my parents spent less than $5K. That easily would have been $30-40K in the US.

CR-1 Visa

Service Center: Texas

Consulate: Cuba  Colombia. Thanks, Trump!

Marriage: 12/31/2016

I-130 Sent: 3/2/2017

I-130 NOA1: 3/8/2017

USCIS Approval Date: 8/29/17

NOA2 hardcopy received: 9/5/2017

NOA2 issued date: 8/26/2017

Notice from USCIS Sent to NVC: 9/11/2017

NVC Received: 9/21/2017

Case Number and Invoice Number Available: 9/22/2017

Welcome Letter: 9/27/17

Received Invoices for AOS and IV and Paid Both (No DS-261 as I have a lawyer): 9/27/2017 

DS-260 Unlocked: 9/29/2017

DS-260 Submitted: 10/5/17

IV & AOS Packages Mailed: 10/5/17

Packages Physically Arrived at NVC10/10/17

Scan Date: 10/11/17

Case Complete: 11/20/17

Case Complete Email: 11/28/17

Interview Date Received: 1/31/18

Interview: 3/27/18- Approved!

POE: 4/5/18, LAX

SSN Card Received: 4/16/18

2-Year Green Card Received: 4/21/18

ROC

Package Sent: 1/13/20

NOA1 (MSC): 1/16/20

Biometrics Notice: 1/31/20

Biometrics Appt: 2/12/20 (walked in early 2/6)

Interview Ready to Be Scheduled: 10/21/20

Interview Scheduled: 5/12/21

Interview Date: 6/17/21 - Approved!

New Card is Being Produced: 6/17/21

Card Was Mailed to You: 6/21/21

Case Was Approved: 6/22/21

Card Was Picked Up by USPS: 6/23/21

Card in Hand: 6/24/21

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

As mentioned above Cr1 is usally less expensive however marrying a foreigner in Cuba is very costly.  Also you have to waiy for your marriage license which will take longer. Of you are sure then fo for it but if you are wavering even a little opt for k1. Cr1 times are unpredictable whereas k1 seem to pretty consitant

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.