848 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Hungary
Timeline
6 minutes ago, LizM said:

Looking for input from people who have either gotten their NY drivers licenses, or decided against it. I have a license from Sweden and I originally decided to delay getting a state drivers license because it would assume the expiration date of the EAD. However I'm reconsidering since it appears you can pretty easily extend after receiving the GC.

Anyway, whether I do it before or after GC, I know I must get a learner's permit (that I can apparently drive alone on, since I have my Swedish license?) but I haven't found very great info on whether I really need to do supervised driving lessons before taking the road test. Any experiences with this? Seems silly if you already have a license from abroad imo. 

Second question, did any of you have to translate you drivers licenses from abroad? Mine is conveniently in Swedish. Seems you need the translation for the learner's permit, but I wanted to not really even use that but just go ahead and do the road test immediately.

Any input would be appreciated.

I had my Hungarian driver’s license Since 2007. But no use of it! I decided to do the license here once I got the EAD and SSN.

It’s fast! I  studed alone for the written test.  (Which I would say is good to know the rules here! )  Asked appointment online. Took the test. Had 1 morning class about safe driving. And the driving school would let me go to take the road test with 1 lesson as I had driving license somewhere else before.  

However I have to say I haven’t driven for 4 years and in the US at all.So I took 4 lessons and got my permit on the first road test! They really watch out for little things what an experienced driver easily mess up😅😅😅

But give DMV a call or ask around in a driving school. Maybe license from Sweden is different case!

33 minutes ago, LizM said:

Looking for input from people who have either gotten their NY drivers licenses, or decided against it. I have a license from Sweden and I originally decided to delay getting a state drivers license because it would assume the expiration date of the EAD. However I'm reconsidering since it appears you can pretty easily extend after receiving the GC.

Anyway, whether I do it before or after GC, I know I must get a learner's permit (that I can apparently drive alone on, since I have my Swedish license?) but I haven't found very great info on whether I really need to do supervised driving lessons before taking the road test. Any experiences with this? Seems silly if you already have a license from abroad imo. 

Second question, did any of you have to translate you drivers licenses from abroad? Mine is conveniently in Swedish. Seems you need the translation for the learner's permit, but I wanted to not really even use that but just go ahead and do the road test immediately.

In NYS you just need utility mails/ passports to apply for a driver’s license (which I highly reccomend) . 

33 minutes ago, LizM said:

My hubby had to take a written test as well as a road test when he applied for his license. He was only allowed to drive unsupervised when he passed his road test. We we also advise even if he had a license from another country he needed have at least one practice with a professional driving school prior to the road test. Hope this info helps

32 minutes ago, LizM said:

Hi Liz,am sharing my experience. I Read the book of New York State Department Of Motor Vehicles Driver's Manual for 4 days and went to DMV and took the learner permit test and passed. Were 20 questions it was very easy after reading the Driver's Manual. Then next week got my permit and did some hours of driving with my husband with his car.I actualy had a driver license from my country since 2001.After I got used with the driving in the city and in FDR went and took a class 5 hours for the NYC pre-licensing 5 hours class(MV-278).Then I called the DMV nr.for the road test and I passed it in early December. Now I have my NYC Driver's license and is issued for 5 years but it says temp. Visitor.After I get the GC have to go to SSA to change the status and then to DMV.Hope this help.🙂

17 hours ago, Snowy1202 said:

Hello. I am a May filer (May 17th, 2018 - PD). I just had my interview on Feb 13th. I will share the whole process as best as I can. 

So we started collecting all the documents about 1 week before the interview date. In general, it is best to follow their checklist of items on the interview notice letter. But basically, collect the same evidence you submitted the first time and any new evidence you have since filing plus some required documents they list on the letter. Our appointment time was 8:45 and we got to the Federal Plaza building downtown at 8:15. Went through security check and headed up to the 9th floor (Queens office floor). From there, we were given a room number to go to and that was our waiting room until my turn to be interviewed. 

Once our number was called, we got up to the IO and I started getting this cold face/feeling from him instantly (which I later assumed it was a thing that most of them do at green card interview). He took us to his interview room and asked right away to look at all the documents we brought even before asking any questions. He kept almost all of it, if it was original then he would go make a copy of it (not sure if we just collected the right documents so he did that or he was going to do that anyway). Then he started asking questions like how we met, where was our first date etc. He then directed to my husband (USC) and asked about me like why did I come to the country, what schools did I go to, my family etc. Right after, he switched to me to ask about my husband with similar questions like where he works, where he is from etc. From my observations, he focused mostly on my husband to see if he knows what he was talking about. Lastly, he went through all of the pictures we printed and asked little details about them like who was in it and where it was taken etc. He then asked questions on the I485 (yes/no). This is when things started to change, he suddenly became funny and started making jokes. He then said we should expect the card in the mail within 3 weeks and explained the conditional remove process, green card holder rights. And that was it, I got approved on the spot and left happy as a clam. Got an email said Card in production later that night. The card came at exactly 7 business day after since the approval/interview date.

I hope that helps answer your questions. Let me know if you have any other concerns. Wish you the best of luck at your interview!

You got your interview quick!! A few months below the est USCIS processing times. Did you request for a expedite? Also how long does your GC good for? Thanks!

I live I queens so hopefully I’m in the queens office which should be a tiny bit faster. I’m a September NYC flier. Good luck to everyone else.

Hello guys. I am a September 2018 filer from Queens. I just received my interview appointment  (first week of April). I was pleasantly surprised that we were scheduled very early. I  believe expediting the EAD helped because I had the EAD since October 2018.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
2 hours ago, Thelionhearts said:

You got your interview quick!! A few months below the est USCIS processing times. Did you request for a expedite? Also how long does your GC good for? Thanks!

I live I queens so hopefully I’m in the queens office which should be a tiny bit faster. I’m a September NYC flier. Good luck to everyone else.

Hello, I did not request for an expedite. My card is good for 2 years because its conditional like everyone else here if you are married under 2 years. After 2 years, you can apply to remove it so you can get a 10 year card. However, After 3 years of marriage to USC, you can apply for citizenship.

1 hour ago, LizM said:

@Galiz @Thelionhearts @Dee28 Thanks guys I appreciate it!

@NjK Gotcha, I was hoping I wouldn't have to do the pre-licensing class :innocent: I will ask at my DMV appointment. Thanks for the input!

Welcome Liz,the 5 hours pre-licensing course is required on the road test you can't skip it. It cost 50 $.You need for the road test the permit ,the pre-licensing 5 hours class(MV - 2 7 8). And the appointment letter. This are required from DMV.

27 minutes ago, NjK said:

Welcome Liz,the 5 hours pre-licensing course is required on the road test you can't skip it. It cost 50 $.You need for the road test the permit ,the pre-licensing 5 hours class(MV - 2 7 8). And the appointment letter. This are required from DMV.

Ohhh I hear you... I guess I have no choice. :no:  Where did you do the road test?

h

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Hungary
Timeline
18 minutes ago, LizM said:

Ohhh I hear you... I guess I have no choice. :no:  Where did you do the road test?

My driving scool suggested Staten Island. Less crazy. And it was really easy on a Thursday morning. No traffic!!!!!😁

2 hours ago, LizM said:

I did in Long Island because they don't do it in the city.You can choose whenever you want in NYC.You will make the appointment online and have a lot of choices where amd when.

14 minutes ago, NjK said:

I did in STATEN Island because they don't do it in the city.You can choose whenever you want in NYC.You will make the appointment online and have a lot of choices where amd when.

13 hours ago, Galiz said:

My driving scool suggested Staten Island. Less crazy. And it was really easy on a Thursday morning. No traffic!!!!!😁

11 hours ago, NjK said:

I did in STATEN Island because they don't do it in the city.You can choose whenever you want in NYC.You will make the appointment online and have a lot of choices where amd when.

That sounds convenient, also we know someone with a car out there that I might be able to borrow for the test, so really it's ideal. I'm getting excited to get this done now :D

h

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.