Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,472 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Pandapaws said:

This may have already been asked but I am Canadian and my fiancé is American we decided that settling in the US would be best for us because of his already established career. I was wondering if I would be able to visit him and his daughter in the US after the k-1 visa process has begun?

Yes you can. You will need to show that you have strong ties to Canada through as when the Visa is being processed it will be more difficult to enter as it will be shown that you are working/planning on immigrating.

- Bring a letter from your employer stating when you are required back at work from your visit

- Most recent pay stubs 

- Recent bank statement 

- Any recent home rental/mortgage payments as proof.

It's still relatively easy to travel after your fiance will receive the NOA1 (notice that USCIS has received your application), but once he receives the NOA2 (that it has been approved and sent on to NVC and from there to the consulate in Montreal. Keep in mind, it does not mean that your visa is approved, you still have more forms to fill out and an interview to do) and you receive a package for collecting information for an interview, it will get more difficult. Just be honest, show strong ties to Canada, don't over stay your welcome and you should be fine :)

Edited by Kathryn Baer

Met in Nashville, TN: October 12, 2014

I went to see him: March 27 - March 31, 2016

He came to see me:  August 7 - August 15, 2016

We went to Victoria, BC together: October 14 - October 24, 2016

He proposed: October 18, 2016! :wub:

Sent K-1 Package: November 21, 2016

NOA1 Received: November 28, 2016

Went to see him: December 10 - December 19, 2016

Went to see him: December 31, 2016 - January 3, 2017

Went to see him: February 5 - February 19, 2017

*Customs Agents never asked for my duration of stay. Only asked my purpose of travel. Told them I was going to see my fiance. No issues. 

NOA2 Received: March 2, 2017

He's coming to see me: April 7 - 18, 2017

Decided to get married in Canada & sponsor him to move to Canada.

He came here, one way ticket: May 22, 2017

Got married!: June 11, 2017

Went to San Francisco for our honeymoon: June 13 - 19, 2017* 

*Customs Agent asked for proof of return ticket, no other issues when entering the US

Went to visit family for Thanksgiving & reception: November 19 - 26, 2017

Currently waiting on finalizing paperwork to submit Spousal Sponsorship application for Canada.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi all! My fiancé and I will be traveling to the States together from Rio to Houston (POE), and he will be staying a couple months while I work before our K1 interview. We filed our I-129F in early June. Just curious if anyone has experience with clearing immigration together as a couple. Is it better to talk with the agent together, or should we go separately to our respective lines? Thanks in advance!

K1 Visa approved: 3/20/18

AOS Filed: 5/23/18

NOA: 5/31/18

Biometrics: 6/20/18

Request to Expedite EAD: 6/21/18

• Combo Card received in mail: 7/18/18

AOS "Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview": 8/13/18

Combo Card renewal sent: 5/13/19

1 minute ago, PK Adventure said:

Hi all! My fiancé and I will be traveling to the States together from Rio to Houston (POE), and he will be staying a couple months while I work before our K1 interview. We filed our I-129F in early June. Just curious if anyone has experience with clearing immigration together as a couple. Is it better to talk with the agent together, or should we go separately to our respective lines? Thanks in advance!

It's best if you could go together. Let an officer know you're together, I believe you can go with him through the tourist line.

be prepared with his proof of ties to his country, flight ticket back, etc. it helps having your i129f docs as well, so they can see he's going through immigration the right way

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
8 hours ago, PK Adventure said:

We traveled internationally, returning into the US, and always went to the CBP officer together as a couple. They expect that with couples, even if you have passports from different countries.

Keep in mind, however, that some airports have different lines entirely for international citizens as opposed to American citizens. I have no idea if Houston is the case. If this is the case, then I'd suggest you both go in your respective lines.

Either way, you should be fine and it will take relatively the same amount of time and will not be any easier or more difficult. It's no better or worse, however when you can go as a couple, it might speed things up slightly.... and you only need to tell your story once.

Edited by Peot

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Maybe a daft question but I wasn't aware of what's been mentioned on here but my first visit since K1 application will be on 2nd September. What stuff do I need to bring?

Hello all, I tried to find a similar scenario in this thread to avoid asking a repeat question, but I guess I don't know exactly which detail might be important, so I thought I would ask my question any way:

I am a citizen of an EU country, living and working in Asia.  My fiancee is a US Citizen, living in the US.

She visits me in Europe or elsewhere a few times a year, and I have been visiting her in the US (while she was my girlfriend) approximately 6 times a year for about 3-4 weeks each time, for the past 2 years. (I have lots of time off because for my job I work at a remote location for 4 weeks in a row, and then have 4 weeks off)

When I visit her in the US, I always travel with ESTA - visa waiver program. I always told the immigration officers that I was visiting my girlfriend, and got secondary interviews 2 or 3 times, but usually they let me in without extra questions. 

On our most recent trip I proposed, and she said yes (yay!). Then I went back to work.

We have not made any wedding arangements yet, but we hope to get married in about a year. I'm not sure if I will move to the US or if she will move to Asia, it depends on jobs and other things.

Can I continue to visit my fiancee in the US? I don't have a fiancee visa.

Will this cause a problem when I tell the immigration officer my reason for entering is to visit my fiancee?

To show ties to my workplace in Asia, I have a job and a contract and a bunch of paperwork and my return itinerary, but I am worried they will think I am entering the US with intent to get married?

Is there any problem with continuing to come to the US to visit my fiancee using the esta/visa waiver program? Or do I need to start some kind of fiancee visa processing?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Hi Walt, you do not need a fiance visa to visit your fiancee. The fiance visa is meant to travel to the US and marry there as you are not supposed to travel to the US and marry on a visa waiver. If you have no intention of marrying while in the US, no need to worry about a fiance visa, you can travel on a visa waiver as you did before. Also, you might want to avoid extra questioning and doubt of your intentions so it might be easier if you just say you are going to visit your girlfriend. If not the immigration officer might believe you have the intention of marrying while you visit, stay and adjust your status. 

Good luck!

A fiancee visa is for fiancees who immigrate to the US and marry and adjust their status (to a US permanent resident) so as long as you don't want to immigrate, you can use your ESTA privilege or a tourist visa to visit your fiancee. 

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

If I enter on ESTA/VWP presenting all the proof that I will return home (return ticket, NOA1, letter of my employer, other documents mentioned here, etc.) and obviously disclosing that we are in the K1-Process and that I am fully aware and not intending to marry (and adjust status) during my (rather short) trip, will bringing multiples suitcases (I was thinking one extra bag) raise a red flag?

It would really help our overall moving process once the Visa gets approved (hopefully) if I could already bring over some stuff now, however, I would not want to get turned around after a 16 hour flight because of it... 

Thanks for your inputs in advance!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello everyone! 

Here is my situation: 

Me (Brazilian) and my future wife (American), submitted our k1 package this week. We know that from now on basically what we have to do is wait. The last time we met was in November 2016, and on that time I had family in the US to visit, which made my entrance easier. We plan to meet each other again during the same period ( between November to January) to avoid the 4h time zone difference that happens in this part of the year and to wait for the noa2 together.

The thing is I really don't have anything that holds me in Brazil right now, I'm currently unemployed, I have 24 years old, the country is going through a big crisis,and the only thing I could use to prove that I'd return to Brazil is an IT university course that I'm enrolled right now and the return ticket. I don't predict an easy talk with the customs officer with me saying that I'm there to visit my girlfriend for maybe over 2 months. I would be returning as soon as we get the noa2 to schedule interviews and all that, but we all know this noa2 can take a while.

I'm really afraid of just being denied entry and being sent back.

I would be going with my Italian passport via the visa waiver program, the same visa I entered the country last year.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Friend of a friend (blah blah blah) apparently has a K1 visa in progress, although I am not sure how long ago or what stage they're currently in. But they were/are discussing getting a tourist visa in the meantime.. I've seen posts on here in regard to this particular subject, but couldn't find them, anyone have any input on this? Im sure its not advisable or even possible..

download.jpgdownload.pngVJ.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Inadvisable, yes but it's not impossible. However, chances are extremely low of being granted a tourist visa while a K1 application is in the process. Your friend of a friend would have to convince the CO at the tourist visa interview that his/her intention is purely to visit and will return home after a visit. That is almost impossible to do since filing a K1 application already establishes the intention to move and live in the US. Many people who are in the process of applying for a fiance or spousal visa always think that they could use this method to get to the US sooner without having to wait out the process outside of the US. The US immigration system simply does not work that way. Everyone gets in line and waits for his/her turn. 

The best advise would be for your friend of a friend to be patient and let the K1 application work its way through the appropriate channel. In the meantime, they could plan to meet outside the US.

Timeline after visa approval

Immigrant fee paid on ELIS - Jan 24th

POE - Jan 25th

Update on GC and SSN

(as of March 14th, 2014)

ELIS status - Closed (Card produced)

USCIS case check with receipt number (starts with IOE) - Card delivered in the mail

SSN - Received (Went to SSA location to apply for one)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

N-400 Naturalization Process

N-400 package mailed in - Nov 7th

Payment posted on cc account - Nov 10th

NOA (hard copy) - Nov 14th

Biometrics - Dec 7th

In Line - Dec 27th

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
58 minutes ago, j N j said:

Im sure its not advisable or even possible.

From the US Customs web site:

Can I travel to the U.S. for business or pleasure while my K fiancé/fiancée visa is pending?

You can travel however you may be subject to scrutiny.

Travel under another visa status or the visa waiver program is not advised for K-1 fiancé/fiancée visa applicants prior to the approval of their K visa as they have already indicated their intention is to marry in the U.S. For more information about Nonimmigrant visa for a fiancé (e) K visa visit 

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There is a Mega thread, hopefully one of the friendly Mods will merge your post.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, vegasbound said:

Inadvisable, yes but it's not impossible. However, chances are extremely low of being granted a tourist visa while a K1 application is in the process. Your friend of a friend would have to convince the CO at the tourist visa interview that his/her intention is purely to visit and will return home after a visit. That is almost impossible to do since filing a K1 application already establishes the intention to move and live in the US. Many people who are in the process of applying for a fiance or spousal visa always think that they could use this method to get to the US sooner without having to wait out the process outside of the US. The US immigration system simply does not work that way. Everyone gets in line and waits for his/her turn. 

The best advise would be for your friend of a friend to be patient and let the K1 application work its way through the appropriate channel. In the meantime, they could plan to meet outside the US.

Thats what I told my fiance also, I asked her to pass on the info..

Thanks for the reply!

download.jpgdownload.pngVJ.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.