SMcNally

K1 Visa Vaccinations Waiver

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I just finished my K1 medical today in Hyderabad, India. I was expecting to get some vaccinations. I've received them all as a kid but have no record of receiving them. The panel physician told me that vaccinations are not required for K1 visas (and a quick search on these forums confirmed that). He also said, "I'll write you a waiver so that you can show that to immigration when you enter." What does this mean? Will I still need to get all the vaccinations when I file for the AOS? I rather do that here than the USA...wayyy cheaper. And do I go to any doctor to get the shots or does it have to be a USA consulate appointed physician? Anybody else who's not been required to take any shots despite having no vaccination records?

That's odd, but I suppose it depends on the country?

In my country, you get vaccinations during medical and then you can use that document during AoS.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi, 

Yes, you vaccinations are not mandatory for K1 and depending on your age you might just need a few of them. I don't think you can go to any doctor to get them. When you get your medical done, they give you a vaccination sheet signed by a board certified physician, who's also approved by the US goverment to issue these types of documents, that's why they are valid for AOS even if you got them in your home country. 

I believe in your case, you either go back to the place where you got your medical and ask them to give you the shots, or you will have to get them once you're in the US. At my medical, they told me if there was anything missing, I would have to pay for the whole medical examination all over again, hope this is not the case for you. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Hi, similar situation, we opted to have my fiancé's vaccines done in the States, and the embassy/American Medical Clinic said it would be no problem. In your case, it sounds like the clinic made the choice for you.  While every country is different, of course, I don't think it's *technically* required for the K-1 visa until you adjust status. Once adjusting status, the beneficiary will need to get the required vaccines, which may get a bit pricey, as you mentioned. 

Edited by Kush_Omaded

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

i had vaccinations here in the US, and they tend to be much pricier. At the civil surgeon they let me get some vaccines with my medical insurance at a local urgent care.  Back then was the cost around $350, this is years ago and the cost of a whole medical and vaccines doesnt even come to this in Ukraine at least.  Good luck

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

From the horses mouth.....

"K visa applicants are encouraged to get the vaccinations required under U.S. immigration law for immigrant visa applicants.  Although such vaccinations are not required for K visa issuance, they will be required when adjusting status to that of legal permanent resident following your marriage. Applicants are therefore encouraged to fulfill these vaccination requirements at the time of the medical examination. See Vaccination Requirements for IV Applicants for the list of required vaccinations and additional information."

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html#1

Timeline
9 hours ago, AnaidAaron said:

I don't think you can go to any doctor to get them.

Vaccinations can be administered by any qualified clinic or hospital.   But, be sure to get official documentation that the vaccinations have been administered to show during the medical exam at the "authorized" Embassy selected physician.  

Additionally, vaccinations may be obtained prior to the medical exam and by a provider other than the "authorized" physician specified by the Embassy.

In some cases, it may be possible to find a local "travel" clinic that can test for and administer necessary vaccinations for less than the "authorized" physician.   In some countries/Embassies, I have been told that the cost of vaccinations may be included in the cost of the medical exam (i.e. Philippines ?)

But almost guaranteed, it will be significantly less expensive to get vaccination prior to entry in the US.

Edited by JoelThai

The above couple posts are correct. The vaccinations are not required for the K-1 visa. They will be required for AOS, though. It is almost always cheaper to get them abroad, especially since finding a US civil surgeon that will sign the vaccinations form without doing their own medical can be quite difficult/troublesome. Most won't sign it without doing and paying for a completely new medical, so you would need to shop around.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
25 minutes ago, geowrian said:

The above couple posts are correct. The vaccinations are not required for the K-1 visa. They will be required for AOS, though. It is almost always cheaper to get them abroad, especially since finding a US civil surgeon that will sign the vaccinations form without doing their own medical can be quite difficult/troublesome. Most wont' sign it without doing and paying a completely new medical, so you would need to shop around.

So I guess the key is that if you are going to have any vaccinations at a source other than the "authorized" physician, get them prior to the medical exam so that they can be reviewed during the exam and 'signed' off by that physician.   

As part of the examination packet forms DS-2054 and DS-3025 will be included (and completed by the authorized panel physician)  that states that immunizations have been completed (or not).  

Edited by JoelThai

In the US, you can go to your local public health department to get no cost or low cost vaccines.  They will give you an official document that shows the vaccinations given.  Given that AOS is taking so long in almost all cases, you will need a new medical anyway when you adjust. You can then take the official document from the health department to the medical and they can sign off on your vaccinations. 

45 minutes ago, Diane and Chris said:

In the US, you can go to your local public health department to get no cost or low cost vaccines.  They will give you an official document that shows the vaccinations given.  Given that AOS is taking so long in almost all cases, you will need a new medical anyway when you adjust. You can then take the official document from the health department to the medical and they can sign off on your vaccinations. 

When adjusting from K-1, if you filed while the medical is still valid, then they are supposed to accept that anyway by policy. I have seen cases where they still requested a new medical anyway, but policy says it shouldn't be required.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

9 minutes ago, geowrian said:

When adjusting from K-1, if you filed while the medical is still valid, then they are supposed to accept that anyway by policy. I have seen cases where they still requested a new medical anyway, but policy says it shouldn't be required.

That would be great if no new medical is required for husband. However, it’s been over a year and we just got notice that case is ready to be scheduled for an interview. So, who knows how much longer. Would you wait and see if they ask for new medical at the interview?  Thanks. 

9 minutes ago, Diane and Chris said:

That would be great if no new medical is required for husband. However, it’s been over a year and we just got notice that case is ready to be scheduled for an interview. So, who knows how much longer. Would you wait and see if they ask for new medical at the interview?  Thanks. 

I personally would.  Worst case it causes a slight delay, but it is not supposed to be required.This is in the AFM/USCIS Policy Manual regarding AOS.

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume8-PartB-Chapter3.html#S-B

"4. K or V Nonimmigrants Applying for Adjustment [26]

K and V nonimmigrants applying for adjustment of status are not required to repeat the medical examination if the application was filed within one year of the date of the original medical examination, and:

The medical examination did not reveal a Class A medical condition; or

•The applicant received a conditional waiver in conjunction with the K or V nonimmigrant visa or the change of status to V and the applicant submits evidence of compliance with the waiver terms and conditions. [27] "

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Timeline
1 hour ago, Diane and Chris said:

In the US, you can go to your local public health department to get no cost or low cost vaccines.  

YMMV I guess, but here is my situation....    Here is a comparison of the fees charged by the Santa Clara Public Health Clinic vs the Thai Travel Clinic in Bangkok.  Of course these numbers are relevant to my situation, and I imagine that there are situations where fees are lower in the US, but a little bit of homework could save several hundred dollars.    In the case of my fiancee, living in Thailand, she obtained the first 5 on the list.  Hep A requires 2 shots, Hep B 3, and MMR 2.  

So, if I waited had to have her shots here locally, the total would be ($40 + ($56 x2) + ($63 x 3) + ($81 x 2)  + $62 = $565

vs ($11 + ($42 x2) + ($11 x 3) + ($6 x 2) + $18 =  $159

a savings of $406.

Vaccine Fees                                          Santa Clara Co.  Bangkok

• Flu                                                                         $40.00        $11
  • Hepatitis A                                                           $56.00.      $43
  • Hepatitis B                                                           $63.00.       $11
  • Measles/Mumps/Rubella (MMR)                    $81.00.        $6
  • Tetanus/Diptheria/Pertussis (Tdap)               $62.00         $18
  • Varicella                                                              $116.00        $27
Fee Sources current as of 6/29/2018: 
Edited by JoelThai

1 hour ago, geowrian said:

I personally would.  Worst case it causes a slight delay, but it is not supposed to be required.This is in the AFM/USCIS Policy Manual regarding AOS.

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume8-PartB-Chapter3.html#S-B

"4. K or V Nonimmigrants Applying for Adjustment [26]

K and V nonimmigrants applying for adjustment of status are not required to repeat the medical examination if the application was filed within one year of the date of the original medical examination, and:

The medical examination did not reveal a Class A medical condition; or

•The applicant received a conditional waiver in conjunction with the K or V nonimmigrant visa or the change of status to V and the applicant submits evidence of compliance with the waiver terms and conditions. [27] "

Thanks, geowrian!  In the footnote of this acticle I found the attached. file jun 29, 11 34 32 pm.txt

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.