VB-100

Parents B1/B2 Visa got Denied

52 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

There are at least a few cultures where it’s considered rude not to invite all family members to weddings, no matter how remotely related they are to you.  

And a celebration like this seems like a great opportunity to finally meet in laws. If I were in OP’s shoes and could afford for my parents to do something similar, i would, especially if the in laws had not managed to meet until this stage (it does seem odd it didn’t happen at OP’s wedding rather than this one, admittedly.)

One thing to invite (we too get distant relatives' wedding invites, even if we don't attend), yet another to use that invitation for a visa. 

Agree, better chance for the meeting was at OP's own wedding. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
10 hours ago, VB-100 said:

Well, regardless all the suggestions, we are going to apply again. 

Let us know how it goes.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

I also think these tourist visas are issued so randomly that sometimes they just think this person has no reason to go to US and deny it based on the lack of tie to the home country.

i do believe in your case, the sole reason of visiting your father in law and attending your SIL’s wedding while you both are living in AUS could have been the reason of denial.  

Like other said, your financial documents or letter of invitation from your inlaws have generally no impact. 

Like in Nepal, one isn’t even allowed to bring any documents other than the Passport, DS 160 confirmation and interview appointment confirmation. A week ago, my parents got visa (may be they got lucky) after being asked just a few questions: who you are visiting, how long is your son living in US, and are you planning to live in the US? No questions about themselves or me or who’ll pay for the trip.

You seem to be determined in having   your parents apply for another visa soon even though everyone agrees there’s a little to no chance. If they do go for another round, i suggest, in addition to whatever you are planning to add whether they will of any importance or not, your parents give  reasons something like family union with people from son’s side and daughter in law’s side while attending marriage and sightseeing. While this might not yield the visa but i think there is a huge emotional difference between just saying I am going to visit my son’s FIL vs i am going to visit son, daughter in law, her parents and other memebers as a family union in this wedding occasion.

Good luck...

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

11 hours ago, VB-100 said:

Well, regardless all the suggestions, we are going to apply again. 

Yeah, go ahead and do that.  Please keep us updated.  If I were a betting man...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
15 hours ago, VB-100 said:
  1. Why are you going to colorado? We don't know anything about colorado, our kids booked trip. 

I am confused why the hell they would ask if they are going to colorado when they are not going. The only place we put was California.

Was there a typo on your Application?  I would think that there was something that gave the CO the thought of Colorado.  Going to California (CA)  Going to Colorado (CO).  If CO was used in lieu of CA.. Just guessing..

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
17 hours ago, geowrian said:

Indian nationals have almost a 25% refusal rate last fiscal year (https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/RefusalRates/FY17.pdf), so it is a tough bar to overcome (my own wife's family and friends couldn't make our wedding with similar refusal rates for the Philippines). Certainly not impossible, but 25% is on the more difficult end (despite it sounding not too bad at 3/4 people being approved overall).

Yes, not impossible at all. My parents and my only sibling were approved with a B2 visa for my wedding here in the US. We are from the Philippines. The consul never asked for any bank statements from them . He just asked what my father do( he has some branches of bakery back home) and also asked my sister about her school( she was in high school). Never asked for titles, business permits or even invitation from my husband. He just asked what they will do here and when my wedding is. Never even asked how long they will stay here. And by the way, my family have never experienced going abroad before that. US VISA is the first stamp on their passport.😅

Edited by NovaDC

Filed: Other Country: Australia
Timeline
13 hours ago, CEE53147 said:

Why would your SIL invite your parents to her wedding and at such a great distance and expense especially if they are not close to your spouse's side of the wedding?

Well to answer that question, My sister in law attended my brothers' wedding in 2016 and now she is doing the same for my parents because she was well treated in India. The whole trip was sponsored by my Parents in 2016. Why she wanted desperately my parents to attend the wedding because when she missed her flight to India in 2016 my parents bought second flight on the spot. This what you do for the family.

16 hours ago, JE57 said:

I like others have said believe the chances are slim.  BUT.... an Important distinction is that NO.... 'we' are not applying 'THEY' are applying.  There application has nothing to do with you.  It is up to them to show that they have strong ties to return to India.   Previous travel to Australia and return is a plus for them.   They knowing and being aware of the travel plans is important.  Your father is still working and making by my calculations about $750 USD per month.  From the COs point of view they are going to California to 'meet' your father in law who is a builder.  Perhaps they believe that your Father-in-law can hire your father as a Laborer and if so he'd make (even at Minimum wage) more than the 750/month.  Further you mention 10 Lakhs in accounts in India.  How portable is that.  The key is in a short interview to answer whatever questions are asked in a way that shows that your father (and mother) intend to return to India and not relocate to the USA.   Not an easy hurdle to pass as they will likely not be asked for documents and the prior denial will weigh against them.  Perhaps the best chance is if they ask your parents what changed is for your parents to state truthfully that they mis-understood the prior interview and thought that you could sponsor them so were not prepared to show that they are well established and rooted in India and have no intention of re-locating to either the USA or anyplace else.  They are happy and financially stable in India both because of a Transport business that requires your father to mind it and house and savings for the future..  Further,  perhaps it's a cultural thing I don't understand but meeting your father-in law and attend your Sister in laws wedding when you and your spouse live in Australia doesn't seem like a very compelling reason to travel to the other side of the planet.  They might want to expand on why it's important to them to do these things and why it's a hardship for them to do it this but worth it.  Denial is the most likely outcome but best of luck and hope that if they take the view of a skeptical CO that maybe they could have a 2nd chance.

1. 10Lac is not horrible because that's just a savings account not FD or Current account.
  2. They are not desperate to visit US, it's just my in laws' are pushing for it as they want to meet my parents because when we got married in Australia my parents' were unable to attend the wedding and when we got married in India my in laws' unable to come to India.
9 hours ago, WeGuyGal said:

See above; whatever it takes to obtain a visa

If my parents' wanted that then would have applied 6 years ago, not now. US is opportunity for ppl who can work but not for 70 years old ppl especially when their own kids are living in Equally good country. 

Edited by VB-100

Timeline

How soon are your parents planning on applying again?

Usually one denial just leads to another denial if done too closely together, especially with no change in personal circumstances.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Timeline
21 minutes ago, Going through said:

How soon are your parents planning on applying again?

Usually one denial just leads to another denial if done too closely together, especially with no change in personal circumstances.

They have applied and got the interview date in Mid August.

3 hours ago, Highmystic said:

Was there a typo on your Application?  I would think that there was something that gave the CO the thought of Colorado.  Going to California (CA)  Going to Colorado (CO).  If CO was used in lieu of CA.. Just guessing..

No idea, I just checked their application but I couldn't find CO. 

8 hours ago, WeGuyGal said:

One thing to invite (we too get distant relatives' wedding invites, even if we don't attend), yet another to use that invitation for a visa. 

Well my mother had operation when we were getting married so she was recovering that's why they didn't meet my in laws.

Edited by VB-100

Timeline
7 hours ago, arken said:

You seem to be determined in having   your parents apply for another visa soon even though everyone agrees there’s a little to no chance. If they do go for another round, i suggest, in addition to whatever you are planning to add whether they will of any importance or not, your parents give  reasons something like family union with people from son’s side and daughter in law’s side while attending marriage and sightseeing. While this might not yield the visa but i think there is a huge emotional difference between just saying I am going to visit my son’s FIL vs i am going to visit son, daughter in law, her parents and other memebers as a family union in this wedding occasion.

I think they didn't explain correctly their trip at least that what I got from murthy's law firm. What they said on 3 separate occasions CO gave them a chance to explain their trip but they didn't.

I think the last question that's where CO thought these guys don't know their trip plan because my father said I don't know about colorado and kids know the trip plan and CO gave them denial.

Their self funded trip will matter, age and their travel history will matter. I think simply if they can answer these questions confidently they will get the visa.

If their situation hasn't changed, I doubt the verdict will change either.

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

12 minutes ago, VB-100 said:

I think they didn't explain correctly their trip at least that what I got from murthy's law firm. What they said on 3 separate occasions CO gave them a chance to explain their trip but they didn't.

I think the last question that's where CO thought these guys don't know their trip plan because my father said I don't know about colorado and kids know the trip plan and CO gave them denial.

Their self funded trip will matter, age and their travel history will matter. I think simply if they can answer these questions confidently they will get the visa.

One doesn't use a lawyer/law firm for a tourist visa or an explanation for one. B2 visa process is usually straightforward. Everything the embassy needs to know to make a decision is on the ds160 and interview. A lawyer will add nothing to that process. 

But, like others have noted, if there is no change in circumstance, it'll likely end in another denial. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Timeline
6 minutes ago, WeGuyGal said:

But, like others have noted, if there is no change in circumstance, it'll likely end in another denial. 

Well, there is a change of circumstance is that they are showing strong tie to the CO now.

Self sponsored will answer these questions about strong ties in India: 45 years old business, 2 houses, a dependent brother, social circle in India (All the siblings), bank balance.

If they will deny after answering all the questions correctly, then we will know, we have tried our best. It doesn't bother my parents' because they got Australian Visa to come and see us and for them that all matters.

Timeline
8 hours ago, VB-100 said:

Well, there is a change of circumstance is that they are showing strong tie to the CO now.

Self sponsored will answer these questions about strong ties in India: 45 years old business, 2 houses, a dependent brother, social circle in India (All the siblings), bank balance.

If they will deny after answering all the questions correctly, then we will know, we have tried our best. It doesn't bother my parents' because they got Australian Visa to come and see us and for them that all matters.

Just keep in mind that COs are not obligated to look at any evidence or documents brought, and generally the decision is already made in advance based on how your parents filled out the DS 160.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, VB-100 said:

Please let us know what the second interview's result. I wish your family the best

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.