14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guatemala
Timeline

Hi all, 

I'm new to the forum, and just looking for some support.  We had our packet accepted on 2/29 so based on current time lines we are looking best case scenario  end of July before we hear anything on the first round.  Luckily its not that far away.  The phone conversations get a little tough and mundane because with him not here and me not there, the little day to day things just don't seem as important.  We are looking at scheduling me a trip to visit him again in July, but the separation is killing me.  How do you all deal with being apart?  Anything you can share would be greatly appreciated.  

Nick

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

We've been apart 2 years now. We will watch the same shows on Netflix and discuss them. I got my husband hooked on some podcasts I enjoy and we discuss those. We talk about current events. We ask "would you rather..." question quizzes we find online (silly things). 

We share lists of places we'd like to go, things we would like to do and try to plan on those things. We discuss the future. 

It's hard for every couple. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Long waiting sucks but if you both can survive this then you will be stronger as a couple. Do Skype, phone chats, etc. My then BF (now hubby) used to call me every night at home and talked like 2 hours. We had dinner "together" over the phone or play video online games just to laugh.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tajikistan
Timeline

Same here. Facetime and phone calls. I just got back yesterday from visiting her for a week in Istanbul. The whole week was beautiful. It was so hard to say our goodbyes but next time I visit her I will be bringing her one way ticket with me :) is what I tell myself in my hopes and prayers. Hang in there folks, we'll get there.

well, you are not the new one facing the issue. Long distance + the hassle of immigration is not easy.

All of us sucked up. We all felt teary eyes, missed our loved one and lonely at times. We all spoke for countless hours on phone at odd hours and Skype, some romantic snail mail gifts and emails plus we all spent visiting our loved ones. 

The one solution is to file for a visa and then take an extended vacation to go visit or live with your loved one in their country so that you could understand the culture, know the person and family. Also, this is the best proof that you could present during the interview. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mali
Timeline
35 minutes ago, IamNick said:

Hi all, 

I'm new to the forum, and just looking for some support.  We had our packet accepted on 2/29 so based on current time lines we are looking best case scenario  end of July before we hear anything on the first round.  Luckily its not that far away.  The phone conversations get a little tough and mundane because with him not here and me not there, the little day to day things just don't seem as important.  We are looking at scheduling me a trip to visit him again in July, but the separation is killing me.  How do you all deal with being apart?  Anything you can share would be greatly appreciated.  

Nick

It never gets any easier, communication is very important in LDR. Video calls, messaging, and talking about your future plans will help. 

21 minutes ago, IamNick said:

I get it that its hard and knew that it would be.  Just looking for additional suggestions.  Thanks all.

Go take a trip and visit. If not in her country, pick a third party location and make a trip of it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Video chat every day, play video games online together, plan visits, watch shows/movies together on Rabb.it, sometimes we leave video chat on while doing our own things and not necessarily talking to each other but still helps us feel like we're spending time together, other than that you just gotta get through this part and look forward to when you're together. 

AOS/EAD/AP Filed: April 5, 2019 
NOA 1: April 12, 2019
Biometrics Appointment: May 8, 2019
RFIE Rec'd: June 21, 2019 - Request for long form birth certificate

RFIE Reply Sent: July 16, 2019
AOS Interview Date: October 3, 2019, APPROVED 

Green card Received: October 10, 2019

i-751 Filed: September 21, 2021

25 minutes ago, IamNick said:

I get it that its hard and knew that it would be.  Just looking for additional suggestions.  Thanks all.

Hey Nick,

We are in the same boat too. The super long waiting times are horrendous. We have been lucky that we have been able to meet up every 6-8 weeks but it’s still so, so difficult so I know how you feel.

we Whatsapp call / video call almost all day and watch videos together too.  We also found some brilliant online relationship questions which we’ve really enjoyed doing separately and then sharing our answers. Sounds mad but it’s been really positive for us. 

I wish you well and a speedy application. X

event.png

K1

NOA1: May 10th 2018

NOA2: October 30th 2018

NVC Received: November 30th 2018

Embassy Received: December 27th 2018

Medical: January 14th 2019

Interview: January 22nd 2019 (Approved subject to medical approval), Medical approved and sent to the embassy: 24th January 2019

Visa in Hand: February 1st 2019

AOS / EAD / AP + OTHER NOTABLE EVENTS (WHICH MAY BE USEFUL TO KNOW)

POE: New York (JFK) February 6th 2019

SSN: Applied in SS Office on February 7th (New Haven)

Wedding: February 14th ❤

SSN Card received: February 20th

Marriage certificate received: February 21st, Passed Driving test theory (CT): February 21st, Opened first bank account (CT): February 21st

Attended 8 hour driver safety course (CT): February 23rd

AOS / AP / EAD sent: March 7th, 2019

AOS / AP / EAD received: March 9th, 2019

AOS / AP / EAD payment taken: March 25th, 2019

Driving Road Test: March 29th, 2019 (Passed)

NOA1: All received by mail: April 2nd, 2019

Biometrics Appointment: April 19th, 2019 (Hartford, CT) - Good Friday

Telephone Request to Expedite I-131: May 31st, 2019 (Financial Loss)

Email from USCIS requesting info: June 6th, 2019, Information faxed: June 6th, 2019

Telephone Request to Expedite I-765: July 2nd, 2019

CARD IN PRODUCTION - YIPPPPEEEEEE July 3rd, 2019. Hallelujah! lol

EAD/AP Combo card received: July 8th, 2019.

AOS Interview (Hartford): December 4th, 2019, AOS Approval: December 5th, 2019 (Text / online notification)

Greencard Received: December 12, 2019

FROM K1 NOA1 to GREEN CARD IN HAND: 581 DAYS (1 YEAR, 7 MONTHS AND 2 DAYS).

Here we go again on the crazy USCIS train! 

I751 Application filed 6th September, 2021

24 month extension letter received

N400 Application filed online 6th September, 2022

28th February, 2023 : 48 month extension letter received

13th March: N400 updated to 'Interview was Scheduled'

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

if we're not at work, we are on the phone.

as far as the mundane, what do you think life IS? we are on the phone at the store, cooking dinner, running errands. its not in depth thought provoking conversation all the time, but we are TOGETHER. Married life isnt exciting or non stop conversation. its being together in comfortable silence, commenting on random things. just being together.

and, in our case, he comes 'home' every 3 weeks for a long weekend, so we get that time too, each month. next month, im going up there for a long weekend.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.