Iris M

Possible divorce, AP not approved yet

15 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there, 

My husband and I married in March, and we filed for AOS, EAD/AP at the beginning of April. Turns out, marriage isn't going the way we wanted it to, and he refuses to seek any help (ie. Couples therapy, marriage counseling) to possibly workout our issues. 

If he files for a divorce before my AP is approved (as the wait is getting longer by other ppls accounts), how long do I have before i am required to move back to Canada, and do I run the risk of not being allowed back into the US if we are divorced and no longer seeking permanent residency? 

Any help would be appreciated.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Jr, Iris & Jay said:

Hi there, 

My husband and I married in March, and we filed for AOS, EAD/AP at the beginning of April. Turns out, marriage isn't going the way we wanted it to, and he refuses to seek any help (ie. Couples therapy, marriage counseling) to possibly workout our issues. 

If he files for a divorce before my AP is approved (as the wait is getting longer by other ppls accounts), how long do I have before i am required to move back to Canada, and do I run the risk of not being allowed back into the US if we are divorced and no longer seeking permanent residency? 

First of all i'm very sorry to hear that about your situation. I pray and hope everything turn out for the better.

Depend on what the circumstances are between ya'll. you may still qualify for an AOS. if he is the doing who are doing the wrongs. and you have proved of what his doing. I'm not sure if you filled AOS base on a K1. if it is. remember they gave you an envelope a Congratulation paper on your visa approval at the embassy right after your interview that a has INSTRUCTION OF WHAT TO DO if you being mistreated physically, emotionally verbally........ etc by your usc petitioner spouse. with all the details of what to do if you happened to be mistreating by your spouse. therefore base on what the situation are; you may still be able to continues with the adjustment of status without him. the AOS will take longer but it will happen. i don't know if you still have the paper. if you do you should look at it and read the instruction to see if you can get the help you need.

Timeline
31 minutes ago, geowrian said:

If you get divorced, your AOS application will be denied as it is based on that marriage. There technically is an exception (see Matter of Sesay), but it requires him to be cooperative by continuing to provide an I-864 to support you, and is otherwise a very uphill battle.

How long it takes depends on why exactly it happens...if he pulls the I-864, then they will deny shortly afterwards. Otherwise, it would likely be denied when you either skip the interview or attend it without him (or attend it and tell them about a pending or completed divorce). You are not required to inform USCIS of your change in marital status beforehand, but that's only buying you a little time before the inevitable result.

I don't see how VAWA would apply here...it just sounds like a failed marriage. It happens. Sorry that it's not working out, and I highly encourage you to continue to try to work things out, but there's nothing suggestive of abuse here.

Assuming you filed for AOS within the 90 days of entry on the K-1, you won't have any overstay. You are free to seek entry as a visitor, although a recently filed AOS application usually means they will assume immigrant intent and likely deny entry (at least for the near future).

Thank you for your reply @geowrian. My husband probably does not know the repercussions of filing for divorce, aside from the dissolution of the marriage, so these options will require some patience and some serious thought.

I am definitely open to counseling to hopefully resolve the issues at hand. 

Thank you! 

Just now, Jr, Iris & Jay said:

Thank you for your reply @geowrian. My husband probably does not know the repercussions of filing for divorce, aside from the dissolution of the marriage, so these options will require some patience and some serious thought.

I am definitely open to counseling to hopefully resolve the issues at hand. 

Thank you! 

I wish you (and your husband) best of luck in whatever path you end up taking.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Effects of Major Family Changes, from AOS Family - As similar threads are discussed here.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Timeline
2 hours ago, Jr, Iris & Jay said:

Hi there, 

With a divorce, AOS is dead.  AP would be worthless without a marriage to a US.

Since you filed for AOS, you have shown immigrant intent.  This will make it harder for you to enter the US in the future.

How long have you been in the US?  If you have been here longer than 6 months, you have overstayed.  With a cancelled AOS, your overstay will count against you.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Jojo92122 said:

With a divorce, AOS is dead.  AP would be worthless without a marriage to a US.

Since you filed for AOS, you have shown immigrant intent.  This will make it harder for you to enter the US in the future.

How long have you been in the US?  If you have been here longer than 6 months, you have overstayed.  With a cancelled AOS, your overstay will count against you.

I came with a K-1 visa in early January, and married within the 90 days. Filed AOS a month later, all within the validity of I-94.

8 minutes ago, Jr, Iris & Jay said:

I came with a K-1 visa in early January, and married within the 90 days. Filed AOS a month later, all within the validity of I-94.

With an abandoned AOS, you will have overstayed your I-94 and this will create problems for you in the future with entry into the US.

With a divorce, AP is worthless.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jojo92122 said:

With an abandoned AOS, you will have overstayed your I-94 and this will create problems for you in the future with entry into the US.

With a divorce, AP is worthless.

I see what you're saying. I misunderstood, as I thought you possibly thought that I am a CR-1 filer. 

OK, well, I am hoping for the best, but I am looking at the options to limit my chances of being denied entry back into the states as I do have a lot of family here, including my Grandma. God forbid something happens to her and I am not allowed to come back bc of my marriage status. 

But I guess there are very little options.

Thanks for your reply. 

34 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

Not true, she hasn't overstayed anything. 

Her 90 days as a fiancee ended in April. 

While she hasn't overstayed yet because of the pending AOS, she will have overstayed her I-94 if they file for divorce and do not complete AOS.   That is the point that I am trying to make.  Not completing AOS has consequences for people who stay past their I-94s.

7 minutes ago, Jojo92122 said:

Her 90 days as a fiancee ended in April. 

While she hasn't overstayed yet because of the pending AOS, she will have overstayed her I-94 if they file for divorce and do not complete AOS.   That is the point that I am trying to make.  Not completing AOS has consequences for people who stay past their I-94s.

No, it doesn't count as an overstay even if she doesn't complete AOS

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
19 hours ago, Jr, Iris & Jay said:

Hi there, 

I am really sorry about this! I will keep you all in my prayers. I hope and pray you both can work this out. Stay strong!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

After the 90 days and before adjustment you are under the colour of law, you do not have a status as such, when you do not adjust then there could be issues.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.