724 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Livkev said:

@qfbariza

@NeedMoreCoffee

Sorry if you guys don't mind answering another question here...

Did you file N 400 online or in mail? I'm not sure with a pending I 751 case, is it ok to file online? 
Thank you again! 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 4/1/2019 at 5:14 PM, lovemywife85 said:

Congrats, Are you applying based on 3 or 5?

Applying based on 5 (really at the end of my 10-yr GC).

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello everybody!

I find this odd, but it's probably just evidence of how little I know.

My interview has been scheduled for early next month -- I just received the notice! However, nowhere in the notice does it say I have to bring my wife to interview. I thought bringing one's spouse was standard and mandatory! Has anything changed? Is the phrasing misleading for everyone? Is bringing one's spouse optional? I very much would prefer to have my wife with me, but if she's not part of this process, I'd like to know.

Additionally, the notice requests I bring my green card, which I surrendered upon getting my passport stamped. I assume I can just show the stamp instead?

A few relevant details:

• This notice/application is for N400/Naturalization (just triple checked)
  • My  I-751/Removal of Conditions is still pending; I guess both will be processed together?
  • I was married in 2015, and received by the conditional green card in July 2015. My wife was the original petitioner for the green card.
  • Due to the application being married-based, we submitted all the standard docs to support the bona fide marriage, which is why I find odd that the notice does not specifically state that her presence is required.

Any help or clarification are much appreciated!

On 4/1/2019 at 2:39 PM, garrulo said:

I have compelted the interview, and everything went well.  I was pretty anxious going in, as this is pretty big deal, ut I was totally relaxed during the process, here's an overview of how things went:

-Came in right on time (15 min earlier) but the line to go into the office felt like a bad day at the airport (why do some people bring huge bags with them?)

-After intake I waited for 5-10 minutes while my number was called

-The officer came and picked me up and initiated some friendly small talk, likely testing english skills

-Went into the office and the officer put me under oath

-Reviewed current passport and GC to verify identity

-Did some Biometrics check and did the english skills test right away

-Went over any application updates, including adding some intl travel I did recently (mind you, it was already in their system)

-Reviewed some additional application questions that the online system had not included in the application

-Asked for some details on divorce and child support documentation

-Went over yes/no questions of the application

-Was approved and explained about the Oath ceremony and what timeline to expect going forward.

Overall very smooth and low key.  I'm glad this is almost over and that things are moving forward for most in this forum.  I wish you all well!

Hey Garrolo, I'm a August 2018 filer and just like you I'm involved with the department of child support I'm a little behind on payments and was wondering what they asked you regarding child support thanks for your feedback

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
On 4/1/2019 at 5:39 PM, garrulo said:

I have compelted the interview, and everything went well.  I was pretty anxious going in, as this is pretty big deal, ut I was totally relaxed during the process, here's an overview of how things went:

-Came in right on time (15 min earlier) but the line to go into the office felt like a bad day at the airport (why do some people bring huge bags with them?)

-After intake I waited for 5-10 minutes while my number was called

-The officer came and picked me up and initiated some friendly small talk, likely testing english skills

-Went into the office and the officer put me under oath

-Reviewed current passport and GC to verify identity

-Did some Biometrics check and did the english skills test right away

-Went over any application updates, including adding some intl travel I did recently (mind you, it was already in their system)

-Reviewed some additional application questions that the online system had not included in the application

-Asked for some details on divorce and child support documentation

-Went over yes/no questions of the application

-Was approved and explained about the Oath ceremony and what timeline to expect going forward.

Overall very smooth and low key.  I'm glad this is almost over and that things are moving forward for most in this forum.  I wish you all well!

Congrats. Can you share more about what the officer ask about your divorce? Please

Timeline
7 hours ago, J@ime1984 said:

Hey Garrolo, I'm a August 2018 filer and just like you I'm involved with the department of child support I'm a little behind on payments and was wondering what they asked you regarding child support thanks for your feedback

Hello Jaime,

I was asked to show my divorce decree and find the pages that talked about support, merely looking for the current amount.  I personally dont use the department of child support, but rather rely on P2P payments.  Back when I initially filed I supplied a notarized letter signed by my exwife stating the amount and how we manage payments, and also that everything was current.  I got a new notarized letter that was essentially the same once I received the interview letter and brought both copies with me; the officer seemed to e very pleased with that.  HEr intial question after seeing the CS amount on the decree was "Do you have anything to show you're paying child support?"  Additional questions after showing the letters, which I assume were part of her checklist were "Have you ever not supported your dependents"? "Do you owe any past child support"? I'm no an attorney, but based on what I had researched before, as long as you can show you have some sort of arrangement you're working on you're probably ok;  I've found similar information about people owing back taxes having IRS payment plans in place.

Timeline
3 hours ago, dannyphan91 said:

Congrats. Can you share more about what the officer ask about your divorce? Please

Hi Danny,

Great question, as I thought there were a few curveballs.

My file included my previous F-1 paperwork, so the officer asked me if I had met my ex-wife while at school and if I got my GC through marriage and if my ex-wife had been the one to petition for me (I-130).  I didn't bring any tax return documents as USCIS never mentioned I should bring any since I didnt apply based on marriage and none were asked for.  Since I had kids from that marriage the officer did want to look at he Child support section but that was it.  I did provide an electronic copy of the decree during my application, so I brought a paper copy with me as the interview letter states to bring any originals you submit.  Finally, the officer did eventually ask if I had married my ex-wife to obtain a green card, not sure if a required checklist question or a curveball, but if you have nothing to hide, you shouldnt have anything to worry about.

There did seem to be some papers in my file that didnt actually relate to me, during the time the officer was trying to figure out what or whose papers those were, I was asked if my ex was re-married and if I knew the name of the new husband.

I hope this helps!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Had my interview in Orlando yesterday. I have a 10 year green card with no removal of conditions, applying under 3 year rule. 

My interview was at 10:00am and I arrived around 9:30. Security at the Orlando field office was was pretty quick, there was one couple ahead of me, took about 5 minutes. You have to have your interview letter and identification out and ready for them. After that I approached the reception desk and showed them my letter and green card, and they gave me a slip with a number. I then went to the waiting area to wait for my number to be called. The waiting room was pretty big, and not exactly crowded. There was plenty of seating for everyone there.

I waited about 50 minutes before my number was called. The numbers can be called at random, so for example if your number is "P62", they could call P74, P67 before yours. I think it's probably because whoever is supposed to interview you is predetermined, so your number will get called whenever that particular officer is ready to interview you. 

So after 50 minutes or so my number was called, I approached the door and followed my interviewer to her office. She asked me a few questions first, like my full name and date of birth, easy questions. Then I was put under oath. After that, we went through the standard yes and no questions that are on the N-400 and I verbally answered them all. One thing I'd like to note, I did get a speeding ticket 2.5 years ago. On the question where it asks if you've ever been arrested, cited, or detained or whatever, I had answered no. In preparing for my interview I got all the documents for it that I could, including what I guess is a court disposition that was stamped by the clerk of court, that showed the ticket was paid. So when I was asked that question, I said no, but I did get a speeding ticket in 2016. All she asked was if it was paid, I said yes, and we moved on. Did not need any documentation for it or anything further. 

Once those questions were all answered we moved right into the civics test. I was asked six questions and answered all six correctly. I was told I had passed the civics test and she was preparing the reading and writing sample. There was an issue with her system, it wasn't working properly so she told me she would close out of my file and I guess try going back into it to see if it would work. When she went back into my file, all the answers I had given for the civics test were wiped. I told her it was no big deal and I wouldn't mind taking it again, so we did that. I was asked another set of six questions and answered all six correctly again. I'll try my best to recall all the questions I was asked:

What is the supreme law of the land?

What are two rights in the declaration of independence?

Who does a US senator represent?

Why do some states have more representatives than others?

Who signs bills to become laws?

What is the highest court in the United States?

What are the two major political parties in the United States?

What is the political party of the president now?

What is one responsibility only for United States citizens?

How old do citizens have to be to vote for president?

When was the constitution written?

Who was the president during world war one?

I believe that was all the civics questions I was asked. Not in the order I was asked, but that is all of them. After that we moved on to the reading and writing. I had to read "When is Columbus day?" and write " Columbus day is in October." 

I brought a LOAD of documents with me. I hardly needed any of them. Another thing, my spouse was not born in the US but became a citizen when her parents were naturalized when she was 12. I submitted a copy of her US passport with my application. They didn't need to see any further proof of her citizenship, I didn't need to show her passport or anything. I guess the copy I had submitted of just the biographic data page was enough. 

One thing that they did need that I did not submit was a copy of my IR-1 visa in my passport. I didn't know they needed that, it was never asked for, but I still had the same passport I used when I immigrated so she just made a copy of that. 

Towards the end of my interview, she asked me if I had any further proof of our bona fide marriage. I had brought a lot, I gave her copies of leases from our apartments, document from our car loan, various bank statements, and recent mortgage documents. I printed about 10 new pictures over the past 3 years, some with just me and my spouse and some with her parents and with my parents. 

As a final note, I just want to say that I was pretty nervous for my interview, and it was all for nothing. The lady who interviewed me was professional but very very nice, and it helped to put me at ease. As far as I could tell, everyone who does interviews at the Orlando office seems very nice and friendly, and overall it was a fantastic experience. Once my interview was over, I waited about another half hour for a lady to come through a different door and hand out the oath ceremony letters. Mine is scheduled for tomorrow. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

am not sure, if any one has gone through this. I filed my n-400 application in July 2018 with i-751 pending. Everything went fine with Bio-metrics and felt like process was going smooth. In March 2019 I got the USCIS notice that my N-400 Interview was scheduled for today at San Jose field office ie. 04/09/2019. I reach to Field Office on time and go through security checks as normal. After getting my Token I wait with my wife for our Token number to be called for the Interview. After waiting few hours an officer calls my Token Number and calls me on the window. She said that as my i-751 was pending she will have to reschedule my Interview. This time it will be a combo interview. She took the N-400 interview letter from me and when I asked how much time it will take for USCIS to reschedule my interview she said they will put my case in a queue and I will be notified. She apologized for all this and  left the window. 

I am confused as I have Not seen any case on VJ or anywhere (At least I have not seen any case of VJ) where you are sent back from N-400 Interview for i-751 pending. What does this means. Do I file another application, as literally after officer taking away my Interview letter I do not have any proof of attending interview. I mean how hard is it for USCIS to lie and say that I never showed for Interview. Should I get an attorney's help? If USCIS does reschedule my interview what might be the timeline for the new interview (Any Guestimate would be helpful as I am planning a trip to India). Is this kind of scenario normal?

Timeline
15 minutes ago, RAHUL & FLOR said:

am not sure, if any one has gone through this. I filed my n-400 application in July 2018 with i-751 pending. Everything went fine with Bio-metrics and felt like process was going smooth. In March 2019 I got the USCIS notice that my N-400 Interview was scheduled for today at San Jose field office ie. 04/09/2019. I reach to Field Office on time and go through security checks as normal. After getting my Token I wait with my wife for our Token number to be called for the Interview. After waiting few hours an officer calls my Token Number and calls me on the window. She said that as my i-751 was pending she will have to reschedule my Interview. This time it will be a combo interview. She took the N-400 interview letter from me and when I asked how much time it will take for USCIS to reschedule my interview she said they will put my case in a queue and I will be notified. She apologized for all this and  left the window. 

I am confused as I have Not seen any case on VJ or anywhere (At least I have not seen any case of VJ) where you are sent back from N-400 Interview for i-751 pending. What does this means. Do I file another application, as literally after officer taking away my Interview letter I do not have any proof of attending interview. I mean how hard is it for USCIS to lie and say that I never showed for Interview. Should I get an attorney's help? If USCIS does reschedule my interview what might be the timeline for the new interview (Any Guestimate would be helpful as I am planning a trip to India). Is this kind of scenario normal?

I am trying to get some help on this as no one replied to my post yesterday. Any help would be appreciated.

30 minutes ago, RAHUL & FLOR said:

I am trying to get some help on this as no one replied to my post yesterday. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi. I was just reading your post. Im an August filer and my interview is on the 30th of this month in San Jose. I also have a pending i-751. Your post got me worried a little that they will reschedule my interview too. Have you heard back from them? Also, what is the latest update on your i-751? Did it ever get transferred to a new jurisdiction? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Timeline
1 hour ago, gomez02 said:

Hi. I was just reading your post. Im an August filer and my interview is on the 30th of this month in San Jose. I also have a pending i-751. Your post got me worried a little that they will reschedule my interview too. Have you heard back from them? Also, what is the latest update on your i-751? Did it ever get transferred to a new jurisdiction? Thanks in advance for your reply.

No. My status online still says we have scheduled you for interview. I did not hear back from them. I will give it 30 days as usually it takes 30 to 90 days to reschedule. I wasnever transfered nor moved. I will contact congresswoman of san jose to look at it. My i751 says it have been transfered to local office. It stuck in that status since last year or so.

1 hour ago, RAHUL & FLOR said:

I think you will be fine some time the officer not trained to figure ROC case at the same time with N-400. They will send you a letter with a new date to get your interview done by an IO that can approve both cases for you. 

6 hours ago, prolixus said:

Had my interview in Orlando yesterday. I have a 10 year green card with no removal of conditions, applying under 3 year rule. 

My interview was at 10:00am and I arrived around 9:30. Security at the Orlando field office was was pretty quick, there was one couple ahead of me, took about 5 minutes. You have to have your interview letter and identification out and ready for them. After that I approached the reception desk and showed them my letter and green card, and they gave me a slip with a number. I then went to the waiting area to wait for my number to be called. The waiting room was pretty big, and not exactly crowded. There was plenty of seating for everyone there.

I waited about 50 minutes before my number was called. The numbers can be called at random, so for example if your number is "P62", they could call P74, P67 before yours. I think it's probably because whoever is supposed to interview you is predetermined, so your number will get called whenever that particular officer is ready to interview you. 

So after 50 minutes or so my number was called, I approached the door and followed my interviewer to her office. She asked me a few questions first, like my full name and date of birth, easy questions. Then I was put under oath. After that, we went through the standard yes and no questions that are on the N-400 and I verbally answered them all. One thing I'd like to note, I did get a speeding ticket 2.5 years ago. On the question where it asks if you've ever been arrested, cited, or detained or whatever, I had answered no. In preparing for my interview I got all the documents for it that I could, including what I guess is a court disposition that was stamped by the clerk of court, that showed the ticket was paid. So when I was asked that question, I said no, but I did get a speeding ticket in 2016. All she asked was if it was paid, I said yes, and we moved on. Did not need any documentation for it or anything further. 

Once those questions were all answered we moved right into the civics test. I was asked six questions and answered all six correctly. I was told I had passed the civics test and she was preparing the reading and writing sample. There was an issue with her system, it wasn't working properly so she told me she would close out of my file and I guess try going back into it to see if it would work. When she went back into my file, all the answers I had given for the civics test were wiped. I told her it was no big deal and I wouldn't mind taking it again, so we did that. I was asked another set of six questions and answered all six correctly again. I'll try my best to recall all the questions I was asked:

What is the supreme law of the land?

What are two rights in the declaration of independence?

Who does a US senator represent?

Why do some states have more representatives than others?

Who signs bills to become laws?

What is the highest court in the United States?

What are the two major political parties in the United States?

What is the political party of the president now?

What is one responsibility only for United States citizens?

How old do citizens have to be to vote for president?

When was the constitution written?

Who was the president during world war one?

I believe that was all the civics questions I was asked. Not in the order I was asked, but that is all of them. After that we moved on to the reading and writing. I had to read "When is Columbus day?" and write " Columbus day is in October." 

I brought a LOAD of documents with me. I hardly needed any of them. Another thing, my spouse was not born in the US but became a citizen when her parents were naturalized when she was 12. I submitted a copy of her US passport with my application. They didn't need to see any further proof of her citizenship, I didn't need to show her passport or anything. I guess the copy I had submitted of just the biographic data page was enough. 

One thing that they did need that I did not submit was a copy of my IR-1 visa in my passport. I didn't know they needed that, it was never asked for, but I still had the same passport I used when I immigrated so she just made a copy of that. 

Towards the end of my interview, she asked me if I had any further proof of our bona fide marriage. I had brought a lot, I gave her copies of leases from our apartments, document from our car loan, various bank statements, and recent mortgage documents. I printed about 10 new pictures over the past 3 years, some with just me and my spouse and some with her parents and with my parents. 

As a final note, I just want to say that I was pretty nervous for my interview, and it was all for nothing. The lady who interviewed me was professional but very very nice, and it helped to put me at ease. As far as I could tell, everyone who does interviews at the Orlando office seems very nice and friendly, and overall it was a fantastic experience. Once my interview was over, I waited about another half hour for a lady to come through a different door and hand out the oath ceremony letters. Mine is scheduled for tomorrow. 

Congrats how long it takes to get your interview from the date of applying thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.