bcking

8 killed in shooting at Texas' Santa Fe High School, CNN affiliates report

134 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

If you are talking about all mass shootings, and not just school shootings, I think the media coverage aspect is less applicable. I don't think the rate or frequency in Canada (or other western countries) approaches the USA. 

Having lived in Canada, one difference compared to the USA is it's harder to get handguns in general, and harder for teenagers to get any type of gun. I guess that might be two differences but I think the gun culture plays a role. Too many people I've come across think guns are glorified toys and that is part of the problem. No disrespect to all the responsible gun owners out there, but there are just too many who are irresponsible.  

I'm counting all attacks.

Canada had 5 in the 1970s,  4 in the 1980s,  7 in the 1990s,  7 in the 2000s,  10 in the 2010s thus far.

To be fair, Canada's numbers are small enough its hard to draw statistical significance to them.

In this thread ( 

) I posted an article with an interesting infographic for the US where it clearly shows "strings" of shootings where after one shooting was followed closely by others. We are stuck in the 2015 string so to speak.

1 hour ago, bcking said:

You used the proper pronoun ("these") so we wouldn't.

If you said something like "and stop students" and wanted to refer just to the shooters then it would have been confusing.

🤣

2 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

Many studies I have come across say media coverage may contribute to some of these incidents. I don't believe I have ever seen anything or anyone involved with these types of studies suggest that they media coverage is the primary reason. 

Case in point. There was a mass shooting at a school in Canada on  Jan 22 2016. There was extremely intense media coverage of the event in Canada and yet there has not been another school shooting to this date in Canada. Sorry, but part of this "phenomenon" is American culture and our whole approach to firearms. There is no easy way to getting around that, and I think it's safe to say that the current approach is not working.

So what do you recommend. Because back in the day we did not have gun free zones and a lot of people I knew had guns in their back window at school. Heck even brought them to show and tell, we never had this issue. What has changed. It's not the gun availability so what is it. 

3 hours ago, Sonea said:

Its become a pattern because the attacker is glorified and gets press. Apparently Cruz has been getting tons of fan letters and love letters. This guy, now that his name and social media info has been plastered every where will be the same. The seeds for the next attack were sown just hours ago.

I sure think that is part of it 

4 hours ago, missileman said:

When will schools give our children the same protection as we give our money?   You can not eliminate the rights of law abiding citizens because some people abuse those rights.  However, you can strengthen the security around our children by placing well trained, armed personnel inside our schools to counteract the crazies who invade with the intent to harm others.

Well I think that answer is obvious. Never. We're a society that is deeply in bed with capitalism. Money is the most precious of resources that has to be protected. Education and protection of children takes a back seat and is low down for our current priorities.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: Timeline
4 hours ago, JimandChristy said:

When will the states put the lives of their children above the 2nd amendment?

50 years ago, we had the same 2nd amendment, and no school shootings.  Are you seriously daft enough to think the 2nd causes this???

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
3 minutes ago, IDWAF said:

50 years ago, we had the same 2nd amendment, and no school shootings.  Are you seriously daft enough to think the 2nd causes this???

I did not think pipe bombs were covered anyway.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

4 hours ago, Sonea said:

Its become a pattern because the attacker is glorified and gets press. Apparently Cruz has been getting tons of fan letters and love letters. This guy, now that his name and social media info has been plastered every where will be the same. The seeds for the next attack were sown just hours ago.

I know many will call me a brute or inhumane for this.  But if we just execute them every time a shooter does this, the problem would be less likely to occur.

1 hour ago, IDWAF said:

The easy access to guns certainly causes these incidents.

Any rational country on the face of the planet would recoil in horror and do anything possible to try rectify the situation. UK did after Dunblane, Australia did after Port Arthur. Gun enthuasiasts in the USA blame everything except the actual cause.

Edited by JimandChristy

K1 Visa Timeline
15th Dec 08 - I129F posted to VSC
1st June 09 - Interview at 9am, Medical at 2:50pm
15th June 09 - K1 Visa approved and received
23rd June 09 - Point of Entry (Atlanta, Georgia)
17th July 09 - Married

AOS + EAD + AP Timeline
25th Aug 09 - AOS + EAD + AP posted to Chicago Lockbox
2nd Oct 09 - EAD + AP Approved
22nd Oct 09 - AOS Approved
30th Oct 09 - Green Card in hand!

Removing Conditions Timeline
29th Sept 11 - I-751 posted to VSC
26th Sept 12 - Approved

Citizenship Timeline

20th Feb 15 - N-400 posted to Lewisville Lockbox

15th June 15 - Interview

1st July 15 - Oath Ceremony

NOW A US CITIZEN!

24 minutes ago, JimandChristy said:

The easy access to guns certainly causes these incidents.

Any rational country on the face of the planet would recoil in horror and do anything possible to try rectify the situation. UK did after Dunblane, Australia did after Port Arthur. Gun enthuasiasts in the USA blame everything except the actual cause.

Access to guns 50 years ago, or 100 years ago, was FAR easier than today.  

Ball is back in your court.  But you have the advantage, because SEVERAL smart people here have given you the correct answer over the past several months.

And another thing on these shootings.  We as a nation/state/whatever need to start prosecuting the parents of kids who take guns to school and kill people.  What kind of parent allows their children access to unlocked guns?  If the gun belongs to the parent, then there should be some sort of shared responsibility.

1 minute ago, spookyturtle said:

Something has definitely changed in society. Disturbed people and teens. No common sense. Detachment from reality and no concept of right and wrong. Poor parenting is at the root of it. 

When I was a kid and watched the Three Stooges, I knew you didn’t hit people in the head with a hammer or poke them in the eyes. Today, I’m not too sure that some know that this is wrong. 

Spooks, I KNOW you are intelligent enough to get it.  But not everyone does.  They want to blame the guns, the NRA, or just about ANYTHING except those who are actually to blame.  

8 minutes ago, IDWAF said:

And another thing on these shootings.  We as a nation/state/whatever need to start prosecuting the parents of kids who take guns to school and kill people.  What kind of parent allows their children access to unlocked guns?  If the gun belongs to the parent, then there should be some sort of shared responsibility.

Spooks, I KNOW you are intelligent enough to get it.  But not everyone does.  They want to blame the guns, the NRA, or just about ANYTHING except those who are actually to blame.  

I haven't been able to follow this conversation but I'm sure it's similar to past conversations we've had here.

I'm with you on your first point though. Absolutely. Owning a gun should be treated as more of a responsibility. They should investigate and if they find evidence that the father wasn't responsibly storing the weapons he should be held partly responsible.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
1 hour ago, IDWAF said:

I know many will call me a brute or inhumane for this.  But if we just execute them every time a shooter does this, the problem would be less likely to occur.

It would not. The death penalty is not a deterrent. 

1 hour ago, IDWAF said:

And do it quick and public. That would end the copy cat bull