29 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Many are giving you good advice here. Plan for the worst.

Note, many here who married spouses without your husband's issues of having entered illegally, still had to spend many months and sometimes years apart before they were reunited with their spouses. As for me and my wife, we spent 16 months apart. Check out my timeline for verification. It might seem unfair, but many, many people go through the same thing. You're not being singled out. Good luck.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I feel like there is some other thing going on with this like EWI. Especially since you guys have been married for a while, your lawyer should push for termination of removal proceedings and after, remand to USCIS for AOS. Did he enter without inspection? 

My husband was technically arrested (detained) and released by ICE in 2 hours for overstaying, without anything having been approved. We had been married a month or two, and although it did take 2.5yr, he never had to opt for voluntary departure/601. He was released with no bond and no check in order. Just wait for a court date in the mail. 

Our lawyer took the approved i130 to the immigration court judge and requested termination of removal, it was granted. The immigration court pended his case in 6mo blocks until approval happened, so we went 3x total. 

Edited by sparkles_

**Adjusting from initial Q1/changed to B1 then overstay, termination of removal proceedings**

(STAND ALONE i-130/TERMINATION OF REMOVAL)

First met: Totally random by asking for directions, June 2014 while on vacation at Disney World (L)

Engaged: Aug. 21, 2014

Married: Dec. 1, 2014

ICE phone contact: sometime in early Dec. 2014- Co-operated, retained attorney who advised the same.

Filed stand alone i-130: January 2015 (VSC)

ICE home visit, schedule time to go to DHS office and NTA issued, date TBD, was not detained and released on own recognizance within an hour: January, 2015.

NOA1: Feb. 20, 2015.

Transfer to CSC to balance workloads: August 2015

1)First Master Calendar Hearing: Sept. 9, 2015-Continued based on pending i-130, new court date in 6mo.

Congressional Inquiry: Dec 8. 2015

***i-130 APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW: Dec. 21, 2015** :dancing:

2)Second Master Hearing: March 9, 2016- Removal proceedings terminated w/o prejudice based on approved i-130!! Remanded to USCIS to begin AOS process :dance:

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Filed AOS packet: March 16, 2016.

NOA1: March 21, 2016.

Biometrics: April 20, 2016.

RFE Initial evidence: April 21, 2016 for birth cert/translation and Q1/B1 i94s

RFE response received: May 10, 2016.

EAD approval: May 25, 2016- Card arrived at attorney's office! Could not pick up until May 30 because we were at Disney World again :):D

Notice of missing medical exam: July 2016 (Done on purpose to avoid expiration, we will bring it to the interview as stated in notice)

Inquiry about case status: Sept 2016- Case pending interview at local office.

Inquiry about case status again: Oct. 2016- Due to factors not related to your case, anticipate a delay in processing

HAPPY 2YR ANNIVERSARY TO US!!

Infopass #1 at local office: Dec. 19, 2016- Case pending background/security checks, advised when to renew EAD #2

Waiting on interview at local office...... :clock:

Sent EAD renewal: Feb 10, 2016

EAD#2 NOA1: March 3, 2016

INTERVIEW SCHEDULED!!: interview on March 27, 2017

Text notification, new card being produced: March 29, 2017!!!

*~*~*~*818 DAYS TOTAL*~*~*~

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
20 hours ago, gpacheco16 said:

my husband is in a detention center with ICE because he isn't legal. Were already in process with an approved I130, approved NVC fee's paid. We were only waiting on the pardon from Mexico then he was arrested. His lawyer says we can do a bond, file a I601a but he will need to do a voluntary deportation and finish papers there. They said anything between 3-8 month for this. Is this true? Hes been her over 10 years, no criminal history. His lawyer says we will get the bond approved but eventually he will need to leave for a little time. My husband is mad because he dont believe this is true. We dont know, most people we know have been deported due to crime not just because. We been married almost 2 years and I can not be with out him this long.

Ok..first off sorry you have to go through this....BUT. But in all honesty he deserves it and it is correct to deport him, he should get some sort of ban because even people here legally that overstay get bans for that, he is knowingly here illegally and is upset???????? He is part of the  reason we have an illegal alien problem in the US, how has he been working (illegally of course). It's really annoying to see people post on here crying that their spouse/fiance/family member has to be deported for living some where illegally. 

Suck it up and do the paperwork like everyone else does, there is no excuse, there is no sympathy for this type of situation. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, Russ&Caro said:

Many are giving you good advice here. Plan for the worst.

Note, many here who married spouses without your husband's issues of having entered illegally, still had to spend many months and sometimes years apart before they were reunited with their spouses. As for me and my wife, we spent 16 months apart. Check out my timeline for verification. It might seem unfair, but many, many people go through the same thing. You're not being singled out. Good luck.

It's NOT unfair.....their situation IS the reason our country is struggling with illegal alien issues...mainly from Mexico. 

Timeline
20 hours ago, George & Roth said:

He’s been here 10 years and done nothing wrong, it’s morally objectionable to deport him but the world is lacking good people nowadays and that’s why he’s going to need to be deported.

Apologies and good luck.

Ok, yes I have strong opinions about this.....why is it morally objectionable....law abiding citizens go through the proper channels to bring their significant other and family members into the US. If you illegally cross the border and live here for 10 years and then expect no repercussions you are sorely mistaken. 

Good people? There has to be some sort of law and order to the process of Immigration, not just waltzing across the border and working illegally...while others wait out a little bit of time doing it the right way. Politics aside, it's not a lack of good/bad people in the government. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Korea DPR
Timeline
21 hours ago, gpacheco16 said:

my husband is in a detention center with ICE because he isn't legal. Were already in process with an approved I130, approved NVC fee's paid. We were only waiting on the pardon from Mexico then he was arrested. His lawyer says we can do a bond, file a I601a but he will need to do a voluntary deportation and finish papers there. They said anything between 3-8 month for this. Is this true? Hes been her over 10 years, no criminal history. His lawyer says we will get the bond approved but eventually he will need to leave for a little time. My husband is mad because he dont believe this is true. We dont know, most people we know have been deported due to crime not just because. We been married almost 2 years and I can not be with out him this long.

Hi my boyfriend too is illegal.. we are trying to get married and do his paper work . How long you been processing his paper to be legal?

Just now, Ilovemykorean said:

Hi my boyfriend too is illegal.. we are trying to get married and do his paper work . How long you been processing his paper to be legal?

You already have your own thread about it. Don't hijack other people threads and spread confusion.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Timeline
18 hours ago, gpacheco16 said:

That’s going to take lots of time I’m sure. The lawyer said he’s going to file a I-601A but even if it’s approved he’s going to have to leave for a few months. With a I-601A and leaving I want to know how long it could take. 

It's going to take WAY longer then a few months, you might want to prepare for the worst. Like others have said, he will likely get a ban, and maybe he can get a waiver. Also, like someone else said, can you imagine the backlog sitting at the American Consulates in Mexico....good luck with your VisaJourney. 

The current wait times for CR-1 visas is well over a year to 19 months, and I'm sure that is what you will have to file for him. 

Edited by javadown2

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Korea DPR
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Roel said:

You already have your own thread about it. Don't hijack other people threads and spread confusion.

I’m not hijacking her?! I’m only asking her? I’m only asking her how long they’ve been processing their papers. There’s no a confusion or what so ever... 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

That sounds about right. I’m sorry that happened to you and your husband. Unfortunately that’s how the law is. It’s gonna take a lot of paperwork and some time but at least it’s fixable. Some aren’t as lucky. If your husband leaves voluntarily, it’s better so I’d get on that ASAP. Get all the paperwork done and file everything as soon as you can, that way you aren’t spending that much more time apart. Also remember you can visit and that you can fix this, so it’s not the end of the world just yet. Good luck. Be patient. 

Timeline
6 hours ago, Paul & Mallory said:

First and foremost - I do feel for you, on an emotional stance. Regardless if you knew the consequences of the actions/choices or not, you are facing a great length of time apart from your partner. And that's terrible. No, I do not ever hope to ever be in that situation. But that's why my partner and I have chosen the path we have, and have been apart for a long time and are still currently apart  before starting our life together - so that we can live with the peace that we won't be separated again years down the road. To be fair - you are coming here, among many people who have chosen similar paths to go about it legally and have their own separations and frustrations. So no, you won't get a lot of sympathy. I am sorry that it's coming across so harshly from some. As rude as it may seem to you, though, it's the reality of it. I don't think it's necessarily your situation that's rubbed people the wrong way, but your comment that your husband has no criminal record and has done nothing wrong for..10 years? Being here illegally for any amount of time IS a crime. And it's wrong. And it's disrespectful to those who go through the proper channels and have to wait and wait and wait.

I think your initial question that you ultimately came here with has its answer, or the best answer any of us here can give you just going by experience and based on the details you've shared - no, it's not avoidable. It's cliché, but... don't do the crime if you can't do the time. I would make sure you both research all options that you have at this point, consult with a lawyer (which sounds like you already have), and be as rational as possible, versus emotional. Make sure you do it right this time and put it behind you so that you CAN live the rest of your lives together in peace knowing this will never be hanging over your heads again. I wish you and your family the best through this.

Well said Paul and Mallory, and I agree this is not about being mean and rude but to be honest as hard as it may be so my only issue is if you knew he was here illegally then why didn't you take care of that before? Well I will pray for the best outcome because sounds like your husband is a pretty nice guy but we are all here waiting to get our spouses or fiancees here legally. God bless you maam.

Timeline
57 minutes ago, RyanMaria 2018 said:

Well said Paul and Mallory, and I agree this is not about being mean and rude but to be honest as hard as it may be so my only issue is if you knew he was here illegally then why didn't you take care of that before? Well I will pray for the best outcome because sounds like your husband is a pretty nice guy but we are all here waiting to get our spouses or fiancees here legally. God bless you maam.

I have probably already sounded kinda mean, but really it's the honest truth. And I was thinking the same thing as you, a day late and a dollar short comes to mind for me. It does appear that they at least were in the process of making it right (putting a band-aid on a 10 year wound) hoping it would be easy for them. I'm sure her husband is a hard working and nice guy, hope it works out for her (no reason it shouldn't), just might take longer then she expects. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.