Bluepanda92

A few k1 visa questions

56 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Bluepanda92 said:

Wait so everyone in the household counts there is his parents and his sister so including me and him it would be 5, does that mean he has to meet the poverty line to support 5 people even though they all have full time jobs and support themselves? 

This was my understanding but someone please correct me if I am wrong. 

This is from the USCIS website: 

You also must meet certain income requirements (whether you are a sponsor, a joint sponsor, or a substitute sponsor). You must show that your household income is equal to or higher than 125% of the U.S. poverty level for your household size. (Your household size includes you, your dependents, any relatives living with you, and the immigrants you are sponsoring.)

:wub:"Waiting is a sign of true love and patience.  Anyone can say "I love you", but not everyone can wait and prove it's true" :wub:

12/21/16 - I-129f packet sent to Texas

12/23/16 - I-129f packet received

1/5/17- NOA1 receipt date

1/10/17 - NOA1 Hardcopy received

1 minute ago, Ashley Scott said:

This was my understanding but someone please correct me if I am wrong. 

This is from the USCIS website: 

You also must meet certain income requirements (whether you are a sponsor, a joint sponsor, or a substitute sponsor). You must show that your household income is equal to or higher than 125% of the U.S. poverty level for your household size. (Your household size includes you, your dependents, any relatives living with you, and the immigrants you are sponsoring.)

so by household income does that mean that his parents and sisters income is included in the poverty line 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, missileman said:

Actually, you are required to marry and file AOS within 90 days of arrival  to avoid illegal status in the US.  While it not common, there has been an increase in ICE knocking on K1 immigrant doors to warn them.

That is what I said in so many words.  I stated that I would highly recommend filing as soon as possible to avoid being out of status.  But there is no legal requirement stating that you have to file for AOS within 90 days of arrival, only that you legally marry in this time frame.  There are many benefits of filing for AOS within the 90 days but it is not required.

:wub:"Waiting is a sign of true love and patience.  Anyone can say "I love you", but not everyone can wait and prove it's true" :wub:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Just now, Ashley Scott said:

That is what I said in so many words.  I stated that I would highly recommend filing as soon as possible to avoid being out of status.  But there is no legal requirement stating that you have to file for AOS within 90 days of arrival, only that you legally marry in this time frame.  There are many benefits of filing for AOS within the 90 days but it is not required.

It is required to maintain legal status...Failure to file AOS within the 90 days results in illegal stay and a potential for deportation..

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Bluepanda92 said:

so by household income does that mean that his parents and sisters income is included in the poverty line 

I am not sure how all of this works, to be honest.  I know their income is taken into consideration if they apply as joint sponsors.  I am not sure how the income is applied if only your fiancé sponsors you.  We didn't use any joint sponsors so I am not super familiar with that process.  Someone else will hopefully chime in and clarify this for you.

1 minute ago, Ashley Scott said:

I am not sure how all of this works, to be honest.  I know their income is taken into consideration if they apply as joint sponsors.  I am not sure how the income is applied if only your fiancé sponsors you.  We didn't use any joint sponsors so I am not super familiar with that process.  Someone else will hopefully chime in and clarify this for you.

Ok thanks for your help, since it probably wouldnt be a year or so untill im able to get the interview anyway he will probably have his own appartment by then so it shouldnt be much to worry about 

OP: It would be a good idea to have the USC fiancé bump their income up if you are intending on using them as the sponsor to meet the 125%. While London has been known to accept  100%, that's not a guarantee. London is known for self sponsorship as well, but significant savings would be needed. Passing with the lower amount is kind of a moot point, because once you marry you must adjust status, and file paperwork. That is where the 125% more strict requirements will come in.

London will also accept a cosponsor. And you may use a joint sponsor for the adjustment process as well... but

As for the household: If you are using the USC parents for instance it all comes down to how many dependents are claimed on the parents taxes. Are the other individuals in the household independent and file their own taxes or are not claimed on any one else's taxes as a dependent? 

For example we used a cosponsor for our entire process. I was before my marriage claimed as a dependent on my father's taxes. I chose to use my sister as our cosponsor, who was independent, filing her own taxes, and was not claiming any dependents. Therefore don't take 'household' size literally. You need to go by what's going on with the tax situation in the home. If it's the parents it's going to be mom + dad + the immigrant AND any other dependents they claim that need to be factored in. If they have none and the individuals in the home have no tax ties to each other, then it's just mom + dad + the immigrant.

We also reside with my parents, and this will not be a problem. However I would strongly encourage you to not assume on what will happen with living situations in the future. Once you marry, the USC spouse will have the burden for caring and supporting you. That includes health insurance which is very expensive. Until you adjust status you are not authorized to work, and the wait for those documents takes a significant amount of time. You need to prepare and save up for the period of time which can be draining on funds, including the costs to file the new paperwork. 

I would also encourage you to read over the guides on this website, which should clarify the process for you. Later on check the UK forum, which will clarify the consulate process later on for London specific cases.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Bluepanda92 said:

Ok thanks for your help, since it probably wouldnt be a year or so untill im able to get the interview anyway he will probably have his own appartment by then so it shouldnt be much to worry about 

I wouldn't worry about it too much either way.  You guys will learn more as you go and will make sure to have the required documentation.  :) It is a stressful process but you guys will be fine.  Just keep doing your research and double checking everything.  I am more than happy to answer what I can for you. Feel free to reach out anytime. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
20 hours ago, Bluepanda92 said:

Is the consulate where i send the i-129f ? or is that just where i get the interview 

You better do some searching on here and follow the guides, if you do that you will be just fine. Lucky for you that you are from England and it seems pretty straight forward for most with similar situations (k1). 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

There's a lot of misconceptions about the K-1 Visa Process. Firstly, every nation is different in their requirements concerning the documents needed to petition the U.S. government to recognize a foreign national as a fiancée. However, USCIS is very strict on meeting, and they require that a meeting of some sort take place at least once in the last two years, but more meetings is desirable to weed out marriage fraud.

In reference to your boyfriend's salary, under federal law, his salary must be 120% above the national poverty line. No exceptions.

Also: the USCIS isn't going to approve any case where evidence is lacking, and even the interview won't go so well if the agent feels it is a hasty engagement

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Okay, this is what I copied off of the USCIS website. 

Affidavit of Support For Fiancé(e), Spouse, or Child as a “K” Nonimmigrant

If your relative is either a K-1 fiancé(e), a K-3 spouse, or a K-2 or K-4 child of fiancé(e) or spouse, you do not need to submit an affidavit of support at the time you file your Form I-129F petition. Instead, you should submit an affidavit of support at the time that your fiancé(e), spouse, or child adjusts status to permanent resident after coming to the United States.

29 minutes ago, Pelmeni said:

Okay, this is what I copied off of the USCIS website. 

Affidavit of Support For Fiancé(e), Spouse, or Child as a “K” Nonimmigrant

If your relative is either a K-1 fiancé(e), a K-3 spouse, or a K-2 or K-4 child of fiancé(e) or spouse, you do not need to submit an affidavit of support at the time you file your Form I-129F petition. Instead, you should submit an affidavit of support at the time that your fiancé(e), spouse, or child adjusts status to permanent resident after coming to the United States.

That is somewhat incorrect.

For a K1 there is an affidavit of support which is the I-134. It is correct that it does not need to be submitted with the I-129F, but instead the foreign fiancé must bring it and supporting documents with them to their interview at the consulate. The guides on this forum should bring some clarity to that.

The affidavit of support for adjustment of status is a different form (I-864), and that must be submitted with all forms to the USCIS.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Thank you! I'm a bit nervous about sending personal info. The last time his box was broken into and his birthday card and my photos were stolen with only the envelope left. I'll have to find a more secure method. Thanks to everyone. :)

Edited by Pelmeni

Timeline
22 hours ago, Bluepanda92 said:

ok so do i need the i864 for the k1 interview to prove his income, and also like when we apply for k1 visa it says 100 percent of the poverty line, and then 125% after marriage, does the 125% take effect immediately the moment we get married, i know i have to adjust status within the 3 months, its hard to put into a short answer my exact question, basically i mean from the day we get married how long do we have untill the poverty line goes upto 125% 

Read the guides :) Your jumping ahead of yourself, just worry about the K1 process for now. It's obvious you seem overwhelmed. 

Timeline
6 hours ago, Bluepanda92 said:

Thanks that helps alot :) we are going to apply on our 1 year anniversary, then hopefully get married on our 2nd year anniversary of the day we met on 16th august :P

Hehe, ok to show you that a short time being engaged isn't a big deal...my wife and I got married on our one year anniversary and that included filing for the k-1 visa process! Our 1st anniversary of being married is coming up on May 11(2 years total together)! Time really does fly! That sounds like a reasonable timeline if all goes as planned for you, even with the longer wait times I think 1 year would be fine. Why not consider a CR-1 visa though if you already are patient about a year wait?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.