1,707 posts in this topic

Hi - we will be sending our packet in late April. Just wanted to join the thread. :) 

Mailed I-129F from Romania: 06/29/2017 

NOA1: 07/17/2017

NOA2: 02/03/2018 (paper) ; 02/05/2018 (updated online) 

NVC RECEIVED: 02/15/2018 

NVC CASE # ASSIGNED: 02/20/2018

REC'D AT EMBASSY: 02/21/2018

MEDICAL: 02/26/2018

INTERVIEW: 03/07/2018 (APPROVED!)

VISA ON HAND: 03/12/2018

POE (BOSTON): 04/18/2018

MARRIED: 04/26/2018 

AOS MAILED: 05/11/2018

NOA1: 05/14/2018

BIOMETRICS: 06/15/2018

EAD/AP APPROVED: 12/14/2018

INTERVIEW: 04/04/2019 - Approved! :D

Hi! Thanks for starting this thread.

I submitted my application on March 23rd, and it was received on the 25th. Still waiting on a text/ email notification as well. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline
3 hours ago, BVGApeach said:

Hi - we will be sending our packet in late April. Just wanted to join the thread. :) 

Hi, 

Welcome on AOS April 2018 filers and good luck!

1 hour ago, kat.cap13 said:

Hi! Thanks for starting this thread.

I submitted my application on March 23rd, and it was received on the 25th. Still waiting on a text/ email notification as well. 

Hi ,

Welcome on April filers!. We finally received 3 notification from USCIS yesterday on April 2nd, 2018. I believe you will get yours soon as well!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

helloooo everyone! I arrived in the US mid Feb (on a K1) and got married early March, so it's about time I filed for AOS! I got the forms 95% completed and I'm compiling a list of final questions to ask here before finishing everything. wife still has to file her taxes (hopefully today) and we'll send everything :)

good luck everyone!!

PLEASE HELP...

I have a few questions 

I entered the US on 21 March 2018 on K1 visa, Married 1 April 2018 and I am now getting ready to file for AOS, EAD and AP. 

I got a SSN a few days after I entered the states, now I am married should I go and change my name or shall I wait for my green card to come through?

how much does it all cost to file for all 3? 

how long are the current processing times?

(off topic) has anyone got a Driving Licence yet and is driving on it? if so how did you provide proof of residency? I only have 10 days left that I can drive on my British Licence in Arkansas... I can't cope without a car as my husband travels a lot and I need to get around. 

Timeline
5 hours ago, Matiela said:

helloooo everyone! I arrived in the US mid Feb (on a K1) and got married early March, so it's about time I filed for AOS! I got the forms 95% completed and I'm compiling a list of final questions to ask here before finishing everything. wife still has to file her taxes (hopefully today) and we'll send everything :)

good luck everyone!!

Hello welcome to April filers,

Good to know it's about time to filed for AOS. We felt less stress as soon as we sent the AOS package because we don' t need to spend the time to recheck all the forms and documents. All we need is just wait for 3 notification from USCIS. Good luck for all!. 

Timeline
16 minutes ago, VandL said:

PLEASE HELP...

I have a few questions 

I entered the US on 21 March 2018 on K1 visa, Married 1 April 2018 and I am now getting ready to file for AOS, EAD and AP. 

I got a SSN a few days after I entered the states, now I am married should I go and change my name or shall I wait for my green card to come through?

(off topic) has anyone got a Driving Licence yet and is driving on it? if so how did you provide proof of residency? I only have 10 days left that I can drive on my British Licence in Arkansas... I can't cope without a car as my husband travels a lot and I need to get around. 

Hello @VandL

Welcome to the US and congratulation for your wedding!. 

In my experience, I applied SSN a week after I entered the US. And after we got married,  I came back to SSA office to change the last name on my SSN. All we need is bring the marriage certificate, passport, print I-94, the first SSN. And then a week after, I got the new SSN with the new last name (the number is still the same)

The total cost to file AOS, EAD, AP package plus biometric fee is US$1225

For the moment

- The current processing time to receive first notification NOA1 is 7 - 21 days.

- The current processing time to receive EAD and AP is about 2.5 - 5 months.

- And for the Green card it depends on the case because each case is different. Some people got it in 6 months, 8 months, 1 year or even in a year and half. 

As for driving license, I think each state has different regulation. In California we can get temporary driving license until the expiration date of K1 Visa - or I94. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
28 minutes ago, VandL said:

PLEASE HELP...

I have a few questions 

welcome VandL! we won't do a name change for now so I can't answer, but I can tell you the flowchart here: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow says to do it before filing AOS so I'm guessing it should be fine. You need to pay $1,225.00 ($1,140 + $85 biometrics). from the research I did, EAD and AP are B-)FREEB-) when you file them concurrently with AOS. as for the processing times, the super helpful guide (http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos) has links for all 3:

I didn't try to get my driver's license yet but will do so soon using the little stub that came in the mail with the SSN card (it has my name and address on it, I really hope it's enough).

anyway, hope this helps! :)

23 minutes ago, JloveN said:

Hello welcome to April filers,

Good to know it's about time to filed for AOS. We felt less stress as soon as we sent the AOS package because we don' t need to spend the time to recheck all the forms and documents. All we need is just wait for 3 notification from USCIS. Good luck for all!. 

thank you! we can't wait for that stress relief ourselves haha :P

16 minutes ago, JloveN said:

Hello @VandL

Welcome to the US and congratulation for your wedding!. 

In my experience, I applied SSN a week after I entered the US. And after we got married,  I came back to SSA office to change the last name on my SSN. All we need is bring the marriage certificate, passport, print I-94, the first SSN. And then a week after, I got the new SSN with the new last name (the number is still the same)

The total cost to file AOS, EAD, AP package plus biometric fee is US$1225

For the moment

- The current processing time to receive first notification NOA1 is 7 - 21 days.

- The current processing time to receive EAD and AP is about 2.5 - 5 months.

- And for the Green card it depends on the case because each case is different. Some people got it in 6 months, 8 months, 1 year or even in a year and half. 

As for driving license, I think each state has different regulation. In California we can get temporary driving license until the expiration date of K1 Visa - or I94. 

Thanks sooo much I did a little research for the drivers license in my state and it states a current US VISA is valid then under it says green card... so I’m hoping they will accept my K1 visa for now anyway. I’m going to go check but nEed to change my name on my SSN first so my DL is in my married name. 

I freaked out thinking I had to pay the 1225 then the 400 off for the EAD

Stress over for now

19 minutes ago, Matiela said:

welcome VandL! we won't do a name change for now so I can't answer, but I can tell you the flowchart here: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow says to do it before filing AOS so I'm guessing it should be fine. You need to pay $1,225.00 ($1,140 + $85 biometrics). from the research I did, EAD and AP are B-)FREEB-) when you file them concurrently with AOS. as for the processing times, the super helpful guide (http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos) has links for all 3:

I didn't try to get my driver's license yet but will do so soon using the little stub that came in the mail with the SSN card (it has my name and address on it, I really hope it's enough).

anyway, hope this helps! :)

thank you! we can't wait for that stress relief ourselves haha :P

Thanks sooo much I’ll check them links out :) 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all,

I sent in my AOS, EAD, and AP documents on Monday, April 2nd, and they arrived today (signed for upon delivery).

I had gone to the SSN office two weeks after getting married, but I wasn't provided one as they needed to verify with USCIS that my application(s) were pending.

The wait for NOA1s begins now...

Timeline

And, quick question regarding the driver's license.

I'm in California, and I have an appointment at the DMV next week to apply for a driver's license.  As my I-94 has expired (today was the expiry), what form of verification do I have that I am eligible to apply for a driver's license?

My marriage license? Or would I need to wait for my NOA1 to have a form of eligibility?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Jr, Iris & Jay said:

And, quick question regarding the driver's license.

I'm in California, and I have an appointment at the DMV next week to apply for a driver's license.  As my I-94 has expired (today was the expiry), what form of verification do I have that I am eligible to apply for a driver's license?

My marriage license? Or would I need to wait for my NOA1 to have a form of eligibility?

It really depends on the State and te dmv office. Many other fiances said it was impossible to get anything done after the expiration and before getting at least EAD 

We mailed ours in March, but apparently had not used the most up-to-date I-485 form, so had to refile, they just received it today... Hope there's no additional RFE's or any of that junk. Doh!  :(

Timeline
On 4/4/2018 at 11:47 AM, Marta Proniagina said:

It really depends on the State and te dmv office. Many other fiances said it was impossible to get anything done after the expiration and before getting at least EAD 

I was worried that it could be difficult given the expiry of my I-94 but today the biggest headline for undocumented immigrants in California was that they were still able to obtain a driver's license if they are able to provide a form of residency:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/dl/residency_requirement

It looks like I can use my husband's mail as proof in concordence with our marriage certificate. I think I lucked out, but I'll find out next Tuesday with my appointment at the DMV.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.