Jesus is Love

Husband wants to visit while CR-1 is processing

39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hi, 

Anyone from Ghana who has traveled to the States using a B-1/B-2 visa? Can you give any pointers or explain the process. My husband and I have decided to apply for this visa since it seems as if we will not see one another again for another year because of CR-1 delays. I plan to travel to Ghana in August for my yearly trip but would like him to be able to travel back with me when I leave and stay with me for the length of the tourist visa. He has no problem going back and has somewhat strong ties. But I'm not sure if it is enough! Any and all help is greatly appreciated from people who have been through the process from Ghana. I understand it being a hard country to get approved for visas so I dont need that information just information about the process and tips on how to guarantee an approval. Thank you in advance.

Nothing guarantees approval. 

he needs to show ties back home, mainly job and property. harder to show strong ties that if he has the ability to stay for 6 months (as you imply he will).

Timeline

He is a  volunteer at his job and can get a letterhead from the head master stating he is only able to be away but so long but he does have his own house and bank statements. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Good luck.  B2 visas are not easily obtained in Ghana.  You will need very strong evidence that he will return to his country at end of his visit.  In addition, he must also convince the CBP officers at the US border that he will return in spite of obvious immigrant intent...Even with a B2 visa, he can be denied entry to the US.  ..just something to keep in mind.

EDIT:  The B visa refusal rate for Ghana during FY 2017 was over 56%. 

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

He is going to go back that’s not a problem at all. And as I stated I am already aware that it is hard to get approval from his country. I need more advice then that. I am looking to speak with someone who has already gone through the process. I thank you for your input. What other then his lease and work note will suffice as evidence? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I did an invitation letter for my cousin in Ghana  for a B1 visa I also gave check stub, utility bills, and letter from my employer stating that my job was in good standing. She was approved but she worked at one of the larger banks in Ghana and showed a letter from her employer as well as bank statements and land documents. She was approved for a B1 visa. Hopefully he will get approved best wishes!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Everyone goes to the embassy with different reason as to why they need tourist visa. you looking for someone who have gone through it can't change the fact that your reasons for applying for tourist visa and ties to demonstrate a return after visit will not be same. we all wish you well in trying to get a tourist visa but, remember you could be setting yourselves up for more tougher and intensive interview questions for your CR1 if they refused your tourist visa. There is no harm in trying but if am in your shoes, I would just put in effort and gather more evidence for the CR1 interview ahead and ignore the tourist visa application. Is hard to wait but sometimes it pays to wait.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

What are his strong ties?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline
2 hours ago, Tasiedu08 said:

He is a  volunteer at his job and can get a letterhead from the head master stating he is only able to be away but so long but he does have his own house and bank statements. 

A volunteer? So doesnt get paid? No contract?

How is he going to afford the flight/trip?

Timeline

Right now he volunteers to get his hours needed for his class he is taking in college. His strong tie is returning to school . He was also been offered a position but it does not begin until after the new school year when he graduates. He has a lease and he tutors at this time to make his money I do not support him any any way financially even though I would love to. Now he has no contract with his tutors but he does have receipts from his lesson payments. He is also paid through a non profit I am a part of who travels there every year for mission trips. So money is not the issue!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
5 hours ago, Tasiedu08 said:

Hi, 

Anyone from Ghana who has traveled to the States using a B-1/B-2 visa? Can you give any pointers or explain the process. My husband and I have decided to apply for this visa since it seems as if we will not see one another again for another year because of CR-1 delays. I plan to travel to Ghana in August for my yearly trip but would like him to be able to travel back with me when I leave and stay with me for the length of the tourist visa. He has no problem going back and has somewhat strong ties. But I'm not sure if it is enough! Any and all help is greatly appreciated from people who have been through the process from Ghana. I understand it being a hard country to get approved for visas so I dont need that information just information about the process and tips on how to guarantee an approval. Thank you in advance.

I have a feeling he will be denied only because he comes from a high fraud country and the fact that you have applied for CR1. Worst that can happen is

he is denied and any fee will be lost.

Timeline

Yea he isn't worried about the fee. It is just that when we started this process the estimated time was way shorter then it is now. I have known my husband over 10 years now but only married for 1. It is expensive to travel either way and I am going to see him for three weeks in August it would just be nice for him to visit us for a bit. We will explore other options as well cause he already has job offerings and will be picking up his masters here in the states.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.