mojo89

Eligible for citizenship, but divorced

24 posts in this topic

It's that time again... time for endless sleepless nights and anxiety overload. So to give you a brief summary - came to the US in 2012, got my CPR in July 2013. Got LPR in November 2015. During the process for removal of conditions my ex and I already started having issues, and we did marriage counseling and all. However, things didn't work out and we got divorced in February 2017. So based on the 5 year rule, I can apply for citizenship in late April this year. It's February and I'm falling apart from anxiety. The main reason is because him and his family have threatened to get me deported after we divorced, so your guess is as good as mine when it comes to not knowing if they contacted USCIS. Anyways, in the meantime I graduated and moved to a different state and have a job of my dreams. The stress about citizenship interview is making me to almost not apply for it and just renew my GC in 2025. I do however have a meeting with a lawyer on the 20th of this month for a consultation (I guess I just need affirmation) but I found in the past that this forum has had some valid information. 

I don't know, maybe I'm panicking and overreacting for no reason, but current president and my ex husband both have me on edge. I have a massive dilemma and not enough Xanax to push me through this stress. 

I welcome all thoughts, opinions, and advice. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

exactly

forget about them, they aren't worth it, they can't do a thing about it. you are here to stay

you can file for citizenship under the 5 year rule

7 minutes ago, aleful said:

exactly

forget about them, they aren't worth it, they can't do a thing about it. you are here to stay

you can file for citizenship under the 5 year rule

I guess what my problem truly is that I'm going through "what's the worst scenario" and "what's the worst that can happen."  Other than a divorce, I have been literally a poster child, I don't even have a parking ticket. And hell yes I want to stay and continue my life here. I'm beyond thrilled about my future and picking the fruits of my hard work . I guess I'm overly paranoid. I've been reading here about all sorts of scenarios and some posts really make me go into a full blown panic attack. Yes, hi, I'm a mess, nice to meet you ^_^

Five year citizenship isn’t even based on marriage so long as you have filed taxes for the last five years and pass the test you should be fine 😁

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
2 hours ago, mojo89 said:

I guess what my problem truly is that I'm going through "what's the worst scenario" and "what's the worst that can happen."  Other than a divorce, I have been literally a poster child, I don't even have a parking ticket. And hell yes I want to stay and continue my life here. I'm beyond thrilled about my future and picking the fruits of my hard work . I guess I'm overly paranoid. I've been reading here about all sorts of scenarios and some posts really make me go into a full blown panic attack. Yes, hi, I'm a mess, nice to meet you ^_^

as long as you have enough proof that you entered your marriage in good faith, you will be fine. you can divorce and file the removal of conditions with a divorce waiver, many have done that and succeeded. and at 5 years of having a GC you can file for citizenship on your own

they can't do anything to you, you and your child are here to stay. be happy

Filed: Other Timeline

Breathe, breathe, breathe......  You are doing the right thing to meet with the attorney based on your fears. You should be fine. Remember, never take anything like legal advice (immigration filings fall into this category) from an ex. Go into your interview confident that you will do well.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
10 hours ago, mojo89 said:

The main reason is because him and his family have threatened to get me deported after we divorced, so your guess is as good as mine when it comes to not knowing if they contacted USCIS.

Even if they DID contact USCIS (most likely didn't, and are just trying to mess with your head), USCIS won't do anything unless concrete evidence---and by concrete I mean much more than just their opinion/accusations---is presented by them proving you entered your former marriage under false pretenses.   You have much more proof, I'm sure, that your former marriage was bonafide.  So relax about that.

You are fine to file under the 5-year eligibility, given the info you've said in your original post.  I wish you all the best in  your filing!

p.s. - Don't listen to your ex-husband, or your ex in-laws.  They can't do a damn thing when it comes to your immigration process.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

4 hours ago, Going through said:

Even if they DID contact USCIS (most likely didn't, and are just trying to mess with your head), USCIS won't do anything unless concrete evidence---and by concrete I mean much more than just their opinion/accusations---is presented by them proving you entered your former marriage under false pretenses.   You have much more proof, I'm sure, that your former marriage was bonafide.  So relax about that.

You are fine to file under the 5-year eligibility, given the info you've said in your original post.  I wish you all the best in  your filing!

p.s. - Don't listen to your ex-husband, or your ex in-laws.  They can't do a damn thing when it comes to your immigration process.

Thank you guys on all of your words. And yes, there's plenty of evidence left and right that we truly were in bonafide marriage. I was in love AND loved the man beyond words. We were happy our first 2 years of marriage and then one fight after another, and another, and another, and it got to the point where neither of us couldn't take it anymore. To the person above yes, I have filed taxes, and this year was my first time filing single (for last year we still filed jointly because legally we were still married in 2016). I guess what I'm going to do is collect every piece of paper evidence to have on me just in case, meet with the lawyer to hear his opinion, and then apply in April and go from there. 

21 hours ago, mojo89 said:

It's that time again... time for endless sleepless nights and anxiety overload. So to give you a brief summary - came to the US in 2012, got my CPR in July 2013. Got LPR in November 2015. During the process for removal of conditions my ex and I already started having issues, and we did marriage counseling and all. However, things didn't work out and we got divorced in February 2017. So based on the 5 year rule, I can apply for citizenship in late April this year. It's February and I'm falling apart from anxiety. The main reason is because him and his family have threatened to get me deported after we divorced, so your guess is as good as mine when it comes to not knowing if they contacted USCIS. Anyways, in the meantime I graduated and moved to a different state and have a job of my dreams. The stress about citizenship interview is making me to almost not apply for it and just renew my GC in 2025. I do however have a meeting with a lawyer on the 20th of this month for a consultation (I guess I just need affirmation) but I found in the past that this forum has had some valid information. 

I don't know, maybe I'm panicking and overreacting for no reason, but current president and my ex husband both have me on edge. I have a massive dilemma and not enough Xanax to push me through this stress. 

I welcome all thoughts, opinions, and advice. 

Lol, don't worry, they won't be able to do anything to get you deported. :) Stay calm and file your N-400 whenever you can.

Filed: Other Timeline

The one and only thing that *could* become an issue at the interview is the fact that you filed for RoC jointly, stating that you are being happily married, living under one roof, whereas your marriage was already falling apart. As you probably know, there's only 2 ways to file for RoC:

1) jointly, if happily married, living under one roof, or

2) alone, with a waiver, after divorce.

Based on your statement, you didn't really meet # 1. But, perhaps you just stated it a bit vague. Perhaps you didn't have marital issues 'til RoC had been adjudicated, yes?

That being said, the I.O. will most likely just look at your divorce decree, note that you divorced in February of 2017, so way after you received your unconditional, 10-year Green Card. It's really best if you don't get into details of this. Keep your answers short and to the point. Don't poke the sleeping lion with a stick and you should be fine.

Sometimes, less is more. Looks to me like your case qualifies for this.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

5 hours ago, Brother Hesekiel said:

The one and only thing that *could* become an issue at the interview is the fact that you filed for RoC jointly, stating that you are being happily married, living under one roof, whereas your marriage was already falling apart. As you probably know, there's only 2 ways to file for RoC:

1) jointly, if happily married, living under one roof, or

2) alone, with a waiver, after divorce.

Based on your statement, you didn't really meet # 1. But, perhaps you just stated it a bit vague. Perhaps you didn't have marital issues 'til RoC had been adjudicated, yes?

That being said, the I.O. will most likely just look at your divorce decree, note that you divorced in February of 2017, so way after you received your unconditional, 10-year Green Card. It's really best if you don't get into details of this. Keep your answers short and to the point. Don't poke the sleeping lion with a stick and you should be fine.

Sometimes, less is more. Looks to me like your case qualifies for this.

Hey there, thx for ur reply. Sorry for vagueness in that sense. No, we weren’t separated back then. We had bad fights but we stayed under the same roof and we still believed that we were “happy.” Things really got bad that holiday season and I already received my ROC. Hope that helps. And yes, that entire reason of filing jointly for everything so far and then boom divorced is what’s making me nauseous. Ughhhh.... but I can’t pull my hair out because of it anymore. That man has permanently scarred me with his threats and deep, emotional abuse that even if they do deport me because of my divorce, at least I won’t have to be anyone’s robotic slave.

Thry should be happy you're becoming a citizen.  It relieves them from the I-864! 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 7 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.